Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hit on deer on my way home last night from the BLM march in DC.
After surveying the damage, the whole bumper and grille are damaged, also the passenger side headlight is broken at the bottom lip.
I have not contacted my insurance yet, not even sure what my deductible is for these kind of accident.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Ouch! Both your Murano and that poor deer.

Glad you're okay, that could have been a lot worse had it come over your hood...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch! Both your Murano and that poor deer.

Glad you're okay, that could have been a lot worse had it come over your hood...
Thanks, I am ok
You are right, I thought about the same thing. If it was moving and try to jump to avoid the accident, it would have landed on my windshield and caused a lot more damage.

If you look at the video closely, it started crossing right after the first car went by, then when it saw my headlight it stopped, and it is at that point that I saw 2 eyes looking at me and could not react in time to stop.

I felt sorry for the deer though as I went by seeing him limping.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Not your fault at all.

Ughhh the Murano headlamps are aimed way too low. I also have the Platinum and noticed that the LED heheadlights are pretty much pointless because they dont illuminate far enough.

If they were aimed better, you would have seen the deer sooner.

I know aiming too high blinds oncoming, but I think the Murano is aimed so low that they could have gone higher.

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts
Sorry for the Murano and glad you're OK. Sucks when something like this happens.

Looks like the blinding street light right before impact was a major part of the issue.

If you have collision insurance protection, take detailed photos and send them along with the video while filing a claim with your insurance company. Standard deductible is $500. Looks at least $2000 in parts and repairs.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@PaulDay ,
I am glad the airbag did not deploy after impact. Not sure why, but I did not feel anything inside the car as far as me being pushed forward, maybe that's why it did not deployed.

@vortex also made a good point about my LED headlights.
These are aftermarket LED I bought from amazon, I have had it for less than a year. Sometimes, I feel that they are not on at all.
I always tough they are pointing too low as you mentioned, but since I did not have the correct tool to aim them higher, I did not want to risk blinding oncoming cars.

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts
The car has to experience more G-force the can be achieved during full force braking before the appropriate airbag is deployed. Has to be a dead stop at 14+ MPH, quite a few G's. Also location and angle of impact is taken into consideration before deployment.

I've found years ago that the cheaper LED's tend to experience "fade" fairly quickly. Not sure if the LEDs are not being cooled properly, or just cheap LEDs. I've personally have had great luck buying from www.carid.com. I've upgraded more then a dozen cars using LEDs from Carid. They always have some of the latest in LED technology, although more expensive then Amazon or eBay, if you can find the same product.

The body shop should aim the headlights when finished with the body work. If you get a set of quality LED bulbs and have them installed when repaired, you'll be good to go with the headlight alignment.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
240 Posts
1. Glad you are safe.
2. Have the dealer check the Airbag Deployment Mechanism is fully operational.
3. Wondering if having the Emergency Braking System would have avoided the Collison. Maybe you can contact Nissan and get their assessments.

·
Registered
240 Posts
1. Glad you are safe.
2. Have the dealer check the Airbag Deployment Mechanism is fully operational.
3. Wondering if having the Emergency Braking System would have avoided the Collison. Maybe you can contact Nissan and get their assessments.

·
Registered
543 Posts
@PaulDay ,
I am glad the airbag did not deploy after impact. Not sure why, but I did not feel anything inside the car as far as me being pushed forward, maybe that's why it did not deployed.

@vortex also made a good point about my LED headlights.
These are aftermarket LED I bought from amazon, I have had it for less than a year. Sometimes, I feel that they are not on at all.
I always tough they are pointing too low as you mentioned, but since I did not have the correct tool to aim them higher, I did not want to risk blinding oncoming cars.
I dont think its just your after market LED lights. I think in general the Murano headlamps are aimed too low. Maybe the aftermarket lights made the situation worse, but I dont think with oem LED you would have faired much better in terms of illimuniating that deer earlier.

When I drove straight on into an ice berg. My Murano looked similar to yours. Post repair the insurance company ended up paying allitle over 3k including labour. That's Canadian. So not sure how much that would translate down your way.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Good question. I don't think so... My understanding is it's more an anti rear-end another vehicle avoidance system.

In '19 they added emergency braking for pedestrians, but I don't know if it can recognize a deer... I know it works for pedestrians. A worker on the interstate got close to the travel lane to flag cars to move over a lane, and my '19 started braking and warning until I moved over.

It would sure be nice if both systems worked for deer. However, in Assad's video that deer just suddenly appeared... I could only watch it once... Maybe the radar or camera would have been able to react in time if they could see what the headlights weren't showing...

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'm thinking the radar unit was probably affected. That alone could run into a significant expense if it needs to be replaced and calibrated...

Edit: I lost focus... It's a SV, so it doesn't have the radar unit.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doesn't the system work only below certain speed though?
I can't imagine it trying to stop the car when you are at > 40mph

·
Registered
89 Posts
I hit a deer a few years ago and the damage was a lot worse than that. I didn't have to pay anything and did not have to pay deductible. The insurance company called it a comprehensive claim not collision. I think they called it an act of nature or something like that. Make sure not to remove any remnants of the deer such as hair, hide or blood. If you do save it. Don't wash the car. Call insurance ASAP.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@canuckguy ,
Thank you, I have Geico, will submit my claim tonight and see what they say.
This would be my first claim with them since I have owned the car

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hit a deer a few years ago and the damage was a lot worse than that. I didn't have to pay anything and did not have to pay deductible. The insurance company called it a comprehensive claim not collision. I think they called it an act of nature or something like that. Make sure not to remove any remnants of the deer such as hair, hide or blood. If you do save it. Don't wash the car. Call insurance ASAP.
Mine is cover under the comprehensive collision, I still have to pay the deductible though.

I had another close encounter last night, smh

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I hit one, the damage wasn't as bad looking as yours, but it still took most of the front end replacement and one headlight. The total bill was $6,000, and $1,500 of that was the headlight module. The other issue was the adaptive cruise control. That module had to be replaced and reprogrammed.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just hit a baby deer. 2 ran in front of me I missed one and hit the second. No body damage visible. Somehow the windshield washer bottle got cracked and the fog light cracked. They said there was no other damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts