Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the 2004 Murano has "active headrests" that are supposed to move forward in an accident. Does anyone have a more detailed explanation?

Do they rotate so the top of the headrest is more pointing forward?

Is it only in a rear end collision?

I want to learn all the little things. I searched "headrest" and it seems this hasn't come up.

Thanks!

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
During a rear collision (you being hit from the rear) your body moves toward the rear of your Mo and this presses on a lever type mechanism contained within the seat back that pivots the head rest toward the front. This reduces the distance your head will move before it strikes the head rest. Thereby keeping your neck straighter and lovering the impact velocity of the head hit. Good Idea to tilt your seat back about 20degree and adjust your headrest so that your head is against the heardrest at the major diameterr of your head. Then return the seatback to your normal position. The reason to adjust the headrest with the seat back tilted back is beacuse that is about where it will end up is you get rear ended fairly hard, and you body will tend to raise up a little as it slides rearward. GRIP :D

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
Good explanation. I've learned something new today so I'm going home now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
new question on the active headrest

Folks,

So from the description, it sounds as if all the "active" stuff is contained in the lever mechanism in the seat. My reason for asking is I would like to put aftermarket headrest video screens in. Mark Cowher has another post here with a link to a company selling them on ebay for the Murano.

So I need to convince the boss and main driver these new headrests won't effect the "safety" part of the headrest. Opinions?

Chuck

·
Registered
216 Posts
Here is the diagram on the Nissan website.

Active Head Restraints
Active head restraints actually move forward toward your head when you're rear-ended, helping to reduce whiplash injuries for you and your front passenger.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Re: new question on the active headrest

cschmidt said:
Folks,

So from the description, it sounds as if all the "active" stuff is contained in the lever mechanism in the seat. My reason for asking is I would like to put aftermarket headrest video screens in. Mark Cowher has another post here with a link to a company selling them on ebay for the Murano.

So I need to convince the boss and main driver these new headrests won't effect the "safety" part of the headrest. Opinions?

Chuck
It would seem on the surface that as long as your, modifications don't interfere with motion of the lever system internal to the seat back, things should probably be ok, same for very small amounts of added weight in the head rest it'self. Enough weight to change the center of gravity of the upper rest could be a negative.

The upper part of the rest does not change angular orientation except as an artifact of impact with the head or inertially induced motion.

You will need to make a final determination yourself as what is safe and not safe. Nobody including me wants or will give you a guarantee that something is safe. I understand your bosses concerns. I accept no liability implied or otherwise for any statement I make on this forum I have a family also and can't afford the risk.

Bottom line would I do it and set my wife there , NO.

Does that mean their are not active headrests with video monitors in them, NO

Does it mean it will be unsafe for sure, NO

The ball is really in your court, Gather info, and make your call. Good luck.

Grip.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks Don

I appreciate your careful answer. I didn't post it here before, but my wife and 2 daughters were caught in an ugly accident on I-77 about 3 months ago so she is very safety aware.

They were almost stopped due to traffic and rear ended by a chevy pickup going 25 or so. It forced them into the back of a ford pickup, then back and forth a couple of times. They are lucky to be fine - thanks to the Murano.

Surprisingly the Murano was the winner of the event. It bent the back bumper of the ford down 90*, it took the whole front end of the chevy off ( grill, headlights, and bumper were on the road). Both bumpers on the Murano were dented, but the hatch still opened.

I already have a couple of video screens that mount on the headrest posts that I may just install them to begin with. Time to get busy.

Chuck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 2006 Murano and was just involve in 4 car pileup, I was second car and on impact from behind the seats dropped down into a reclined position, we walked away with just a bit of soreness, wish I could say the same for my car, but I won’t buy anything else

1 - 9 of 9 Posts