Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Nissan roof rack and cross bars installed by the dealer when I purchased the car. I need to adjust the spacing of the cross bars for my canoe.
The bars are attached with a pressure fitting claw-like bracket. There is one bolt that applies pressure to the "claw" that holds the bar in place.
The nut is round and made of a very soft metal. When I use the grips to unscrew the nut, I take off metal shavings rather than loosen the nut.
Did the dealer use some special tool to tighened these things. Before I tried to loosen them off, there was not a single mark on the nuts.
How did they tighen them without leaving any marks?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, maybe that is why the nut will not turn :-(((((
I am under the impression they are OEM as they have NISSAN marked on them.
The crazy thing though, they look as though they should be adjustable on the racks.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I went canoeing today with my 2 boys.
We took "The Battleship", a 17 foot aluminum canoe I've had for ages. I have a slick topped Mo, so I can't put it on top.

I trailer it on my 5X8 foot utility trailer.

Drilled 2 holes on the front of the trailer and put in 2 eye bolts the width of the canoe as it is pushed up within 2 inches of the tongue jack.
Took a 2 1/2 inch diameter black gas pipe cut to the width of the trailer and drilled 2 holes for the gate latch pins and 2 more holes for 2 more eye bolts, the width of the canoe at that point.
Strapped it down with ratcheting rope pulleys across the eyes and put a cam buckled strap from the front eye on the canoe to the tongue jack, you can pick the trailer up with the canoe--it is that secure. hehe

Great time on the river today!

:2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts