Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MO is less than a week old and is badly in need of a wash (which I'll do by hand, it being the first one and I don't want any auto-wash waxes or coatings applied)... when I picked her up there was a huge delay in the service dept. so the sales guy snuck me a bottle of paint protector and some super soft towels to make up for it. The stuff is called Vital® Formula V Paint Protector (for industrial use only) - he says it's like $100 a bottle and all I have to do is rub it in nice and buff it up. Should I use it? Anybody know what it might be and what the results will be? I don't know if it's a wax or a synthetic wax-alike or what. I also can't find anything about it on the internet. A car spa nearby says that they'll do the Zaino wax job for me for a decent price - should I avoid this product if I'm going to go for the Zaino shine?

·
Registered
564 Posts
bbxboy - sounds like what the dealer gave you was a "glaze." From the sites I've seen on detailing (I do NOT profess to be an expert - merely a consolidator and conduit of information I've read), paint on brand new cars is not quite fully "cured." This means they are still in the process of off-gassing and hardening. Detailer sites I've read suggest using a "glaze" or "paint protector" for the first 30 days and to avoid waxing so as to allow the curing process to complete. After the 30 days, glaze/paint protector is still used, but as an undercoat to wax.

So your first steps for your new Mo for the first month would be wash, claybar, then apply the glaze. After the 30 days, you can then wash, claybar, polish (if needed), glaze and wax. The polish step is supposed to help clean up the surface and prep it for the glaze and wax. I would recommend checking out the website that's mentioned in this category under the heading "detailing help." The site has some pretty good info.

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Jim,

Our rides spent a month on the boat from Japan, though, so isn't our coating (not paint, I think) a little more mature than that of most new cars?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Possibly - in fact, probably. But is the paint fully cured? Hard to know for sure. Every vehicle, including the ones built by Detroit, spend a bit of time in transit from a few days to a few weeks. Given that the Mo's paint feels and looks so new, even after a month at sea, it can't hurt to stick with a glaze only for the first 30 days since that's all it really seems to need. Seems that waxing early wouldn't do any damage either - but then again, I'm no pro - just a guy that reads too much on the internet!

·
Registered
719 Posts
You can probably find out what the service guy at the dealer gave you by calling your sales person and asking (try acting like an average dumb consumer) if they offer as an extra service some type of a paint sealer or protectant for your new ride.

My guess is that they have some type of protectant that they try to sell for whatever they can get for it ($200-$500 normally) and that this guy just slipped you a bottle as a favor. The cost of $100 a bottle is the dead give away in my opinion.

If your planning on using Zaino, then I wouldn't apply what he gave you as they two chemicals may be incompatible.

I've talked to my Nissan salesman (I've learned I can trust him) who was recently telling me about a product that Nissan was pushing as an add on for the sale for all Nissan vehicles.

He said they demonstrated it by applying it on a new 350Z hood, then used a blow torch, spray paint, and all kinds of nasty stuff and it all wiped right off with no damage to the paint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts