·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need some help here.

I have an 04 murano sl.
it didn't come with the bi-xenon HIDs that are standard on the
SE modles here in Canada.

I am interested in changing to aftermarket HIDS.

I just have a fewe questions.

1. Will the warranty be affected in any way after installing aftermarket HID conversion kits?

2. Are the conversion kits plug and play or does the installation process require any cutting of wires or mods?

3. Has anbyone had the after market HIDs installed before and which brand do you recommend?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
1. Yes, aftermarket HID kits are usually not legal and will void your warranty on any component it may remotely affect. Technically the dealer cannot refuse warranty work on your engine if your headlights screw up, but they could come up with a wild story about how the high energy ballasts of the a poorly grounded HID system disrupted the computer or something like that.

2. Some are plug and play, others requiring some wiring. In either case you will still need a secure place to mount the HID ballasts (the bulbs go right in, but there are other parts too).

3. I would not recommend aftermarket HIDs. Unless you spend a lot of money to get a custom projector kit made, the beam pattern will be terrible and you will lose highbeams. I had aftermarket HIDs on my 97 Maxima, even paid extra to get Philips D2R bulbs. They were bright, but also blinded other drivers. When I got my Murano, HIDs were the #1 reason why I did not even consider competitor models.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I really do not know if it will fit, possibly will do, try to buy original Nissan HID for the MURANO instead of an aftermarket.
I have no clue if there will be a different wiring, maybe you will need to replace a fuse or something.

The spare part does exist. Obviously

Since it is a Nissan factory part, I think it will not void your warranty.

Theoretically, it will look the same after installation, only if people in the dealer turn on the lights may notice but I think they will not mind. You can always say that someone broke your original lights and you replace them with HID.

Anyway, you came to the right place to ask

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Adding to ERIC L.'s comments...

I would not recommend aftermarket HIDs. Unless you spend a lot of money to get a custom projector kit made, the beam pattern will be terrible and you will lose highbeams. I had aftermarket HIDs on my 97 Maxima, even paid extra to get Philips D2R bulbs. They were bright, but also blinded other drivers. When I got my Murano, HIDs were the #1 reason why I did not even consider competitor models.
Yes, Eric is right, if you dont get the projector housing the beam pattern will be all wrong. You will create more glare and this is dangerous for other drivers.
Also, using HID kit (not the original HID) for 9007 application will make you loose hi beam. 9007 halogen bulbs are dual filament, hi and lo beam is contained in the same bulb. OEM HID achieved hi an lo beam using bi xenon projector (that is the headlight housing).

If murano had been H7 or H6 aplication, then getting hid kit will not sacrifice your hi beam.

Of course if you go the expensive way ( ilike i did on my previous audi), the retrofit will be just like OEM. What you need to get:
the headlight projectors
the headlight housing
OEM D2S bulb Like philips or oschram.
OEM BALLAST LIKE PHILIPS
Proper wiring diagram
Propor fuses and relay <this is a must> if not you will fry your electrical components.

Prepare to come out with the cost of $700ish - $1500 dollars.
I did the retro to my prev A4. Awesome result, burnt my pocket :p
Try www.hidforum.com and lurk around.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies.

I think this might be different in the US,
ut here in Canada, only the SE model comes with HIDs.
My SL model only came with the standard halogen system.
I've asked by dealer if I can just get that one feature upgraded, and they said no. howver, I've noticed on the nissan home page for the US, that the HID lights are an option. (not fiar for us) but oh well.
They they wanted to sell me the SE model. + 10000.00 CAD after tax.
Anyhow, when I bought to their attention about the US modles offering the HID upgrades, the then said it was possible, however, to I would have to change the entire wiring system, projectors, etc...at a cost of 3500.00 CAD.

I really like how the HID look on the SE, but don't want to dish out $3500.00 for nissan to change all that.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
OEM HID achieved hi an lo beam using bi xenon projector (that is the headlight housing).
I think the MO HID achieves hi beam by means of a mechanical shutter (built into the projector housing).

·
5,244 Posts
ekaxel,

you are right.......

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
I think the MO HID achieves hi beam by means of a mechanical shutter (built into the projector housing).
Ekaxel,
I think that "mechanical shutter" is called bixenon projector.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Yeah its kind of a fake bixenon though. Some other vehicles actually have additional xenon bulbs in separate housings for the high beam.

I suppose the good thing about the Murano's system is that you will not wear out the bulb when you flash your highbeams at some other car since its only the shuttle moving. Its bad to turn HIDs on and off quickly.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Upgrading will also require the leveling motors and the wiring and switch for that.

If you want the HID that bad, I would suggest trading in your MO for an SE model. They want 10K for a NEW SE, but you might be able to find one USED with similar miles to yours that might not be quite as large a difference.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice.

i think i might just leave it for now.

this site is awesome.

all the answers i need.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Why you go with aftermarket HID KIT if you can retrofit OEM

xenon HID headlight system to your halogen murano?

Jack and me (with ekaxel's and jaak's help) did it.
See the thread here:replacement HID light

1 - 12 of 12 Posts