Nissan Murano Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They gave me $30K can for my 2017 Murano SL, mind you I had only 35K km. Since I travel to Florida every winter, the Hyundai Tucson Hybrid 2022 Deluxe came in handy. The 1.6 Turbo runs on Regular instead of Super but better on the milage 6.3 L/100km or 38 miles to the gal. But because they offer me more for my Used Murano, could not let this opportunity go by. The Tucson is same size as the Murano, but with all the bells and whistles.

The Murano served me well the 2011 and 2017, and no problem. Only Oil changes that's it, that's all. Thanks guys for your support and wish you guys the best of luck with your Murano.

Since I am 72, The Tucson could be my last vehicle, but you never know! lol

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
159 Posts
Good luck with the new wheels, @frankmar. I keep thinking that any new vehicle I buy should be a hybrid; at the age of 70, I'm not too far behind you so I don't have too many years to experience new technology. Hopefully the batteries they're using won't burn down the car and your garage/house. Only other comment is that like the Honda CR-V hybrid, they don't give you a spare tire and that would bother me especially on long distance drives. I don't think a can of fix-a-flat is an adequate substitute. Make sure that you have road service insurance coverage that works in the USA as well as Canada if you're gonna do your long trips. (In 2016 I killed a tire on my Subaru Forester in Kentucky when we were driving from Michigan to Florida...)

·
Administrator
9,763 Posts
Sounds like a good move, provided the vehicle range matches your needs.

We've discussed a possible similar move for our next vehicle. But we do occasionally go for long road trips, so I'm waiting for a bit more range. I'm interested in the Lucid models which have range varying (depending on which model you choose) from 480 miles to 516 miles per charge. However, they're around $100K in price, which means I won't be buying a new one.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Sounds like a good move, provided the vehicle range matches your needs.
A hybrid runs mainly on gas at highways speeds, so the range would only be affected by its gas tank size...

·
Administrator
9,763 Posts
A hybrid runs mainly on gas at highways speeds, so the range would only be affected by its gas tank size...
Good catch. Makes sense to me. Next gen will be electric only, I'm sure.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck with the new wheels, @frankmar. I keep thinking that any new vehicle I buy should be a hybrid; at the age of 70, I'm not too far behind you so I don't have too many years to experience new technology. Hopefully the batteries they're using won't burn down the car and your garage/house. Only other comment is that like the Honda CR-V hybrid, they don't give you a spare tire and that would bother me especially on long distance drives. I don't think a can of fix-a-flat is an adequate substitute. Make sure that you have road service insurance coverage that works in the USA as well as Canada if you're gonna do your long trips. (In 2016 I killed a tire on my Subaru Forester in Kentucky when we were driving from Michigan to Florida...)
Well age is just a number, what you feel inside is what counts. The Tucson comes with a small spare tire, but since I have 4 rim+tire 18" of the Murano, I intend to put a full tire as a spare. I think they fit according to specs. Hyundai come with a 5 years road assistance in NA.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Range after break in 2k to 4K is about 8xx km on a tank. The Battery is an assistance to get the car to speed, so that helps. The Plug in PHEV gives you only 50km after that the 1.6 consumes like any other engines. Tank is 52L

To me the Electric or Plugin Hybrid was no use, since I would I have 2 cars, a summer car and the Suv for winter, but I bring it to Florida.
Here in Quebec Electricity is very cheap .07 a kilowatt. While going to Floride I95 or I81 not too many charging stations. Plus autumn or winter you don't get the same range as in summer. So Pure Hybrid suited me better.

·
Administrator
9,763 Posts
I sometimes wonder how long spare tires will be provided with cars. BMW hasn't done it for more than a decade on most models I know of. I just carry a plug kit and 12V air pump in our 3-series cars.

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
159 Posts
@Pilgrim, I still like a real spare. My '91 BMW has a full size wheel and tire under the trunk floor and I really like that. Our 3 daily drivers have donut spares--the spare was actually an option on my '16 Grand Caravan and is under the front console in a pan and lowers to the ground. I've never seen it and it might be inaccessible if I have a flat tire in the mud or something.

@frankmar, I looked at the US specs, and if the Tucson is a hybrid, the spare is gone. Same with the CR-V Hybrid. I think the Ford Escape and RAV4 hybrids still include a spare. I have looked at these vehicles and the existence of a spare tire is one of my data points. Seems like Murano tires are larger than what they'd use on a Tucson--and it's gonna kill your cargo space.

I've been tempted to carry a full size spare in my Grand Caravan because that has lots of cubic feet. We're on vaca this week right on Lake Huron, and if something happened to a tire, I'd really like a full sized spare. I had full size vans and a pickup for 36 years before the minivan and they all had (and I used) full size spares.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sometimes wonder how long spare tires will be provided with cars. BMW hasn't done it for more than a decade on most models I know of. I just carry a plug kit and 12V air pump in our 3-series cars.
Pilgrim, even with an electric pump, if your tire is cut, electric pump will be useless. My 2017 124spider has no spare, and I hit a pothole and tire was cut, electric pump came to no use. But manage to drive the car on 3 wheels at 50kph to my dealer a mile away. I did not know this car could run on 3 wheels.
But the the misfortune happened on I26, where I had the spare on one wheel and the front tire gave up, Towing cost me 250.00 US
I assume car manuf. are trying to cut expenses and weight.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Pilgrim, I still like a real spare. My '91 BMW has a full size wheel and tire under the trunk floor and I really like that. Our 3 daily drivers have donut spares--the spare was actually an option on my '16 Grand Caravan and is under the front console in a pan and lowers to the ground. I've never seen it and it might be inaccessible if I have a flat tire in the mud or something.

@frankmar, I looked at the US specs, and if the Tucson is a hybrid, the spare is gone. Same with the CR-V Hybrid. I think the Ford Escape and RAV4 hybrids still include a spare. I have looked at these vehicles and the existence of a spare tire is one of my data points. Seems like Murano tires are larger than what they'd use on a Tucson--and it's gonna kill your cargo space.

I've been tempted to carry a full size spare in my Grand Caravan because that has lots of cubic feet. We're on vaca this week right on Lake Huron, and if something happened to a tire, I'd really like a full sized spare. I had full size vans and a pickup for 36 years before the minivan and they all had (and I used) full size spares.
Here in Canada, the spare is still there. check SAFETY FEATURES, you will see the compact spare tire included.
https://www.hyundaicanada.com/api/sitecore/BuildAndPrice/PrintBnPSummaryPdf?

Canadian and US cars they may look the same, but we get some options while US may not get it.
You have 3 treams while we get only 2 treams in the Hybrid

Tires on The Tucson Deluxe are 19" and I plan to use the Murano 18" tires on this, I have 4 brand new tires on it.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Here in Canada, the spare is still there. check SAFETY FEATURES, you will see the compact spare tire included.
https://www.hyundaicanada.com/api/sitecore/BuildAndPrice/PrintBnPSummaryPdf?

Canadian and US cars they may look the same, but we get some options while US may not get it.
You have 3 treams while we get only 2 treams in the Hybrid

Tires on The Tucson Deluxe are 19" and I plan to use the Murano 18" tires on this, I have 4 brand new tires on it.
What the heck is a tream?

·
Administrator
9,763 Posts
On the 3-series, BME eliminated the spare tire well by 2008. There is no place for a spare unless you order a separate wheel and tire, then (for some attempt at safety) buy a bag with straps to tie it down...and also install tie-down points. Their solution is run-flat tires, which have a more harsh ride and are very expensive.

I can easily believe that different wheel/tire situations are found in various countries, as laws and driving conditions vary a lot.

And in response to @frankmar I can say that only once in the past 50 years have I had a flat that couldn't be fixed by a plug and a 12V air pump. Since I also carry towing coverage, I feel pretty comfortable about that. If you have an AWD vehicle and try running on 3 tires, there's some chance that you will have damaged your AWD by the time you get to any place that can fix the tire. Better to call and wait for a flatbed to take you in.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
159 Posts
@frankmar, this is not worth my time but the Tucson Hybrid and plug in Hybrid on the Canadian site indicate the same "tire mobility kit" replacing the spare as US models. You are either not looking at a Hybrid or the portion of the website you are reading is incorrect. If you buy a hybrid Tucson you will not have any spare tire. There is also not a "Deluxe" model hybrid--Canadian models are Luxury and Ultimate.

If you do get a hybrid Tucson with a spare tire, post a photo. No rush but that will put this discussion to bed.

The Murano's 18" tires are 235/65x18. The Tucson uses 235/65x17 or 235/55x19, so you will need to use different wheels and the setup may be a full inch taller than the Tucson is designed for so they may not fit. Unlikely that the Murano and Tucson use the same bolt pattern, center hole size, and offset wheels that the Tucson does although it is possible.

I don't have enough interest in Korean cars to research further but wish you many safe and happy miles.

ps to others: "tream" is apparently Canadian for "trim level" :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
@frankmar, this is not worth my time but the Tucson Hybrid and plug in Hybrid on the Canadian site indicate the same "tire mobility kit" replacing the spare as US models. You are either not looking at a Hybrid or the portion of the website you are reading is incorrect. If you buy a hybrid Tucson you will not have any spare tire. There is also not a "Deluxe" model hybrid--Canadian models are Luxury and Ultimate.

If you do get a hybrid Tucson with a spare tire, post a photo. No rush but that will put this discussion to bed.

The Murano's 18" tires are 235/65x18. The Tucson uses 235/65x17 or 235/55x19, so you will need to use different wheels and the setup may be a full inch taller than the Tucson is designed for so they may not fit. Unlikely that the Murano and Tucson use the same bolt pattern, center hole size, and offset wheels that the Tucson does although it is possible.

I don't have enough interest in Korean cars to research further but wish you many safe and happy miles.

Sorry I had the wrong trim, It seems the hybrid don't come with a spare. So I need to go to the scrap yard to get one else I'll see if the Murano tires 18x 65x 235 will be 1" short then the 19x55x 235 1"= 2.5 cm so it will be 1.5 cm diff that would be around 5/8 of an inch. Assuming the centre hole diam is the same.
Assuming centre hole is same, I would carry the murano spare, now for a flat pump is great, but if tire is cut useless. But I would use the 4 murano wheels together once the Tucson tires are worn out.

But I May sell them come next spring.
The air pump is good if you have a flat, otherwise a spare is always better. When my tire went caput on the I26, spare was already in use, I made sure they called a Flat Bed Towing.

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
159 Posts
Good luck, @frankmar.

As a byproduct of "no spare" in hybrid vehicles or newer BMW's, there is no ROOM anywhere for a spare. You will also have to get a proper jack and lug wrench and carry them. A Murano (which does have a spare), CR-V, and presumably the Tucson do not have enough extra space to put a spare tire in the cargo area--we usually travel in our Grand Caravan because we bring "stuff" with us inside the vehicle. (Couple bicycles, my guitar, etc.)

Again, I like the idea of a hybrid for my next vehicle but am landing on the spare tire as one of my criteria. If I was not able to change a tire I might feel different about the topic.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I think you didn't look well. LOL Trim is also in Can. English.
Modele in French is Trim or you were looking at Terme which is Term (no. of months)

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I think you didn't look well. LOL Trim is also in Can. English.
Modele in French is Trim or you were looking at Terme which is Term (no. of months)
So, what does tream mean?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.