Nissan Murano Forum banner

aftermarket GPS

20K views 106 replies 18 participants last post by  Mr3Putt 
#1 ·
For those hunting for an aftermarket GPS system. I just ordered this one: Garmin StreetPilot C320 + 1GB memory card. Total - $485. Very good price. Just follow these two links to find this great deal:

C320

and the cupon: cupon

Enjoy

#2 ·
Kris said:
For those hunting for an aftermarket GPS system. I just ordered this one: Garmin StreetPilot C320 + 1GB memory card. Total - $485. Very good price. Just follow these two links to find this great deal:

C320

Enjoy
Makes huge sense compared to the one time OEM $$ purchace IMHO.

Nice unit, good company.

#3 ·
I have the same one, and I love it. Very good. Make sure you upgrade the software. I noticed a couple of strange little issues with mine and recently did all the updates. Seemed to help. Everything for updating is free from the Garmin site.

I still haven't purchased a larger card. Comes with a 256mb card, which is enough for me to hold all of Washington/Idaho/Oregon, plus the lower half of British Columbia. Or, it can hold all of California (with nothing else). Probably good enough for me, at least for now.

#4 ·
Corin said:

I still haven't purchased a larger card. Comes with a 256mb card, which is enough for me to hold all of Washington/Idaho/Oregon, plus the lower half of British Columbia. Or, it can hold all of California (with nothing else). Probably good enough for me, at least for now.
With the prices of those memory cards dropping daily, I would wait too Corin.

It's amazing that the entire state of California fits on a 256. How detailed are the databases?

If you had too, I guess you could upload the entire database (country) onto several cards?? Are they hot swappable?

To me at least, a portable NAV makes alot more sense than an integrated NAV. I love my Magellan, and really loved it in the Myrtle Beach rent a car....

Kris, your really gonna like that Garmin. My brother in law has the (2620?) he hooked up an (optional) external antenna and really improved his reception.

My Magellan has an external magnet antenna. I only lose signals in tunnels.

Where is the antenna for the factory NAV. Is it visible on the outside?

#5 ·
The maps are pretty detailed, with a lot of POIs loaded. The main freeway map is loaded on the firmware, so that takes care of the major freeway systems for all North America. Plus Garmin re-did their software to be compressed a bit more.

#6 ·
I went for portable NAV system as I travel frequently. My last trip to Europe proved that NAV system is indispensable! The unit will be moved between my car, my wife’s and of course numerous rentals. I went with the Garmin for many reasons – reputation, NAVTECH maps, portability, price.

I have also ordered 1GB card, probably should have 2GB (it would definitely fit entire database!). Anyway, it should be OK for a while. As to the external antenna – I was thinking about it. However I will wait to see if it really is needed.

How good the maps are? I have checked a demo on line and my subdivision, which is 3 years old and still developing, has all the streets!!!

Corin,
Thanks for the advise. I have already read all documentation on my flight from Toledo tonight! And the unit has not arrived yet. Any advise on using it? Placement etc/

Thanks

#7 ·
I put mine right on the center hump of the dash. I bought some "anti-slip" material (like they use on boats, or under rugs on hard-wood floors) and have never had a problem with it falling/sliding. Found the stuff in black at Home Depot and it matches my dash color perfectly. If I remember, I'll take a picture.

The best thing about the c320 (and TomTom) is that because of the battery (which lasts quite a while, I might add) you don't have to plug it in, so the cord isn't tugging on the unit at all. You don't have to have it mounted, just needs to sit somewhere.

#8 ·
Thanks Corin,
the battery was one of the reasons i went for C320. It is so easy to move from one car to another without even having it plug again. I wasn't sure about TomTOm due to maps accuracy. But I guess it would have been a good option too.

I just checked the UPS and the unit will be arriving on my door steps this Thursday, just in time for weekend trip to Smokies! Cannot wait to check it out!

#11 ·
Corin,

thanks for the photos. It looks like you found a good and quick option for "mounting" the unit. I may try to do the same.

#12 ·
Kris said:

C320

Enjoy

Were is the coupon? They first link lists the unit for $428. Coupon link goes to the same address as the first.

#13 ·
Oooops! Sorry is gone now.............:(

Still $429 with free shipping is a good price....

#15 ·
Just saw on the net - the GPS has arrived at my doorstep. And I have to attend a business dinner 7:30 PM tonight! Hrrrrrrr whish I was home now..........

Anyway, once "mastered" I will post a review.

#17 ·
The dinner was canceled - weather!

Got home, unpacked the unit, loaded software very easily. Unit looks nice and slick. Problem - it does not work!!!!

It cannot detect satellites signal.....I guess Garmin support will have work to do. Tomorrow. I am really disappointed……

#18 ·
The very first time you turn it on, it will take a long time to detect it. That was the case with my 2620. Hook it up, make sure antenna sees the sky and you are not near any walls, and leave it alone for a little while! After that, it will take only a few seconds.

#19 ·
zebelkhan

Thanks! It worked! Drove a few miles - so far so good.

:D

#20 ·
I noticed that after I updated the software, it picked up signals faster. But yes, occasionally it takes quite a while to find the signal. I think it mainly depends on where you turn it on compared to where you last turned it off. If it's close by, it picks it up quickly (perhaps remembers all the satellite settings or something) but if you're in a completely different place, it can take several minutes before it's happy.

#21 ·
Ok I promised my impressions of Garmin Street Pilot c320.

I have ordered the unit from buy.com at a price of $413.99 for the unit and $69.62 for additional 1GB SD memory card (free shipping). The unit arrived sooner that the site promised – on Friday, just in time for trip to Smoky Mountain on Saturday. The card however did not make it and I had to do with the 128MB card included in the kit.
The kit includes: the GPS receiver, 128 MB memory card, CitySelect detailed maps for entire North America Hawaii including, windshield suction mount with cigarette lighter charger and additional charger that can be used in home, hotels etc.

The installation and registering of the software and the unit was a breeze. I upgraded the latest firmware and additional programs for POI and MapSource – a sleek program for loading required maps. The only problem I had was the initial satellite acquisition – it takes a few minutes. Afterwards, however it is only 5 – 20 sec. Not bad.

The 128 MB card is a limitation as it can fit only let’s say entire California, or Texas with Arkansas, or entire Florida. If one does not drive long distance it should be ok. I did however opted for a bigger card – 1GB. It fits entire Easter USA – Texas to Wisconsin and everything east of it. With price of $70 it is worth it.

Now how the unit performed - during our trip throughout Smokies it worked perfectly. We always knew where we were. Took only one wrong turn because my wife relied on the MapQuest! Garmin was right!

Pros.
Easy to use. 5 min training it is all one needs.
There are over 5 millions POI (points of interest) and this feature is more important than I thought.
The screen is OK, just OK, though voice prompt works very well!
There is some glare but it can be dealt with by changing the angle of the unit.
The suction mount works very well.
I can take it from car to car, especially to all the rentals!
Routing so far has been very good. I set up “Quickest” routing so it tends to put me on major roads.
Rerouting – takes only seconds. Always gets you back on the right track.

Cons.
It really needs bigger memory card. At least 512 MB.
Screen could be better – the glare can be annoying.
There is no real routing with waypoints. This can be easily overcome by defining favorite locations prior to travel and navigating from one location to other. For me this is not than important.
And the biggest one – I lost my C320! My wife drove from Atlanta to Charlotte last Thursday coming back on Friday and “borrowed” the Garmin…..Rest is history!

Ordered second C320 last night ($420 including shipping from buy.com)and a 2GB SD card ($140 from newegg) - will fit entire North America. Should have my unit on Tuesday.

So this is a C320 story. I would recommend the Garmin StreetPilot C320 to everybody. For the price you cannot bit it. And it really is easy to use.

#23 ·
I do not like ABES. They have terrible reviews and I heard horror stories on photo discussion boards.

#26 ·
Gonzo,

I bought second unit 4 days ago for $420 shipped! It was C320. It arrived yesterday and it took me only 5 min to set it up! I guess I was lucky and took advantage of the sales.......:)

try this one: C320

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.