Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for feedback on this. I've read all about changing out the headlight assemblies, but these are very hard to find.

So I was wondering if anyone had installed and aftermarket HID kit on their MO.

·
Registered
62 Posts
aftermarket hid kits usually consist of taiwanese or korean made bulbs and ballasts. they are always inferior to the OEM equipment used in HID equipped cars. the best way is to just buy the HID headlights. you can buy used ballasts and OEM hid bulbs are about $75 new on ebay. I can go on and on about the negatives of HID kits. On my maxima and scion tc, i retrofitted tsx projectors which is the next best way if there are no OEM projector headlights available. if you just stick a pair of rebased hid bulbs into the reflector housing, you'll have so much glare and blind oncoming traffic making yourself a safety hazzard.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
maximus96 said:
aftermarket hid kits usually consist of taiwanese or korean made bulbs and ballasts. they are always inferior to the OEM equipment used in HID equipped cars. the best way is to just buy the HID headlights. you can buy used ballasts and OEM hid bulbs are about $75 new on ebay. I can go on and on about the negatives of HID kits. On my maxima and scion tc, i retrofitted tsx projectors which is the next best way if there are no OEM projector headlights available. if you just stick a pair of rebased hid bulbs into the reflector housing, you'll have so much glare and blind oncoming traffic making yourself a safety hazzard.
maxiums96, you got it right! I agree 100%!

Do not go aftermarket hid kit, unless it uses high quality Philips or Oscram D2S bulbs and ballast. Usually, this kit will easily cost you twice as much as the taiwainese/korean's.

Do not go aftermarket HID kit without projector headlight. It will caused so much glare to the oncoming traffic, the light pattern will be all wrong and it will also make your murano looks 'pimped' . :rolleyes:

·
4,601 Posts
I've also seen mention of reduced insurance coverage and potentially other legal issues if you are involved in an accident and have retrofitted non DOT approved HIDs.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I would recommend against HID conversion kits. Had one in my Maxima, lots of glare and the beam pattern wasn't that great, even after repeated reaiming.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
e34m5-

HID Conversion Kit? Don't do it. If you planned on installing it on an off-road vehicle, then that would be fine. On a road car, no way. Show some consideration for the other drivers that you share the road with. The glare from a "universal-fit" HID lamp assembly in the MO's reflector-type housing can be dangerous to other drivers.

The MO is a very safe and well-designed car. Do not cheapen it and compromise it's safety by installing an HID conversion kit.

Keep an eye on eBay. There is almost always a set of HID light assemblies available.

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
maximus96: how did you manage to retrofit the tsx projectors into regular jewel-like headlight housings. i've always been wondering about this and you are the first person i've been able to ask.

·
Registered
62 Posts
nissanlove said:
maximus96: how did you manage to retrofit the tsx projectors into regular jewel-like headlight housings. i've always been wondering about this and you are the first person i've been able to ask.
very good question! i wrote a thread about in over at scionlife.com
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75144
lots of people were impressed...too bad i traded in the tc and am now in the process of selling the lights...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
that is absolutely amazing work maximus. thanks alot for the detailed outline. the only other time i saw projectors in retrofit was on a 2000 nissan patfinder with all the chrome painted black. it was a relaly slick install and looked awesome. your look super great also. i've been dieing to find out how to do this for so long and you finally suppressed my appetite for knowledge. i can't thank you enough. do you think it is possible to retrofit projectors into an oddly shapped housing like the murano's without hid's or can it only be done on circular reflector housings??

·
Registered
62 Posts
nissanlove said:
that is absolutely amazing work maximus. thanks alot for the detailed outline. the only other time i saw projectors in retrofit was on a 2000 nissan patfinder with all the chrome painted black. it was a relaly slick install and looked awesome. your look super great also. i've been dieing to find out how to do this for so long and you finally suppressed my appetite for knowledge. i can't thank you enough. do you think it is possible to retrofit projectors into an oddly shapped housing like the murano's without hid's or can it only be done on circular reflector housings??
for the murano you're better off buying the factory HID lights. they look better and guarantee to fit. people like me had to resort to retrofits because there are no OEM options. if you pay somebody to do a retrofit job, it can cost upwards of $1200, most of which is labor. i spent about $400 on parts for my tc.

however, the upside to retrofitting the murano is you can throw in better projectors like the s2000, or tsx, or the new LS430, all of these are superior to the murano projectors. the other thing is that the stock murano hid is a poor design. nissan cut corners by not offering a separate high beam reflector which is useful if you want to flash somebody during the day. when the low beams are off, flashing the bi-xenon like we have to now will drastically reduce the life fo the ballast from the fast on-off action.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"however, the upside to retrofitting the murano is you can throw in better projectors like the s2000, or tsx, or the new LS430, all of these are superior to the murano projectors"

Why are they better?

Good enuf to be worthwhile to upgrade the current HIDs?

Homer

·
Registered
160 Posts
maximus96, i take it you frequent hidplanet.com? I lurk quite often on that site. Homer, those projectors are superior because they offer a sharper cutoff and more "color" and sometimes even more light output to the sides and stuff.

·
Registered
62 Posts
hfelknor said:
"however, the upside to retrofitting the murano is you can throw in better projectors like the s2000, or tsx, or the new LS430, all of these are superior to the murano projectors"

Why are they better?

Good enuf to be worthwhile to upgrade the current HIDs?

Homer

No, not worthwhile upgrade if you already have factory hids. The s2000 and tsx are single xenon, low beam hids. I forget if the LS is a bi-or single xenon. You’ll lose high beams since there are no separate high beam reflectors like every other hid-equipped car. A pair of projector from the new TL will work, and they are bi-xenon like the murano. Now if you were to retrofit to a non-hid murano housing, the s2000 and tsx would work perfectly since you already have a high beam reflector.

The projectors I mention ranks in the following order, LS430, TL s2000, tsx. LS projectors are the best and cost the most, $600 for a pair!! They’re the latest and greatest and hard to come by. The acura TL projectors are almost identical to the tsx but is bi-xenon and goes for about $400 a pair. S2000 goes for about $300, and $200 for tsx. The S2000 have a sharper cutoff than the tsx. The optics of the lens in these are all better than the murano’s. Stanley makes all of these projectors, including the murano I believe. But the murano has a fresnel lens with concentric rings instead of a clear lens like the others, making the output, sharpness of the cutoff and color at cutoff poorer compared to the others.

I personally wouldn’t open up the murano hid lights to change out the projectors. I have done that enough with my other cars. That’s why I chose a car with factory installed hid, and why I ruled out the 06 RAV 4 and chose the murano.

I used to be quite active at hidplanet until I finished the retro on the scion and maxima, then I haven’t visited the site very much.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
maximus96 said:

nissan cut corners by not offering a separate high beam reflector which is useful if you want to flash somebody during the day. when the low beams are off, flashing the bi-xenon like we have to now will drastically reduce the life fo the ballast from the fast on-off action.

i don't think what you mentioned about the life span is entirely true. the murano's bi xenon system is a shutter type assembly which means that the buld is at full power at all times when the head lights are on and then the shutter flips when the high beams are on. i can see what you mean by trying to flash someone with a regular reflector type set up but it kinda is pointless to flash someone with your hid's since the output color is pretty much that of natural sunlight so wouldn't it just blend in and not be noticable anyways??

·
Registered
62 Posts
nissanlove said:

i don't think what you mentioned about the life span is entirely true. the murano's bi xenon system is a shutter type assembly which means that the buld is at full power at all times when the head lights are on and then the shutter flips when the high beams are on. i can see what you mean by trying to flash someone with a regular reflector type set up but it kinda is pointless to flash someone with your hid's since the output color is pretty much that of natural sunlight so wouldn't it just blend in and not be noticable anyways??
during the day, when your low beams are off, every time you flash the high beams, you power on the ballasts and shut them off in fractions of a second. its this rapid on/off that kills the ballasts. its not a concern when you flash people at night when the low beam is on and ballasts are already on like you said.

every other hid equip car have a separate high beam reflector and the system flashes the halogen high beam bulb when the low beam is off.

·
Registered
160 Posts
not only will it kill the ballast, but it does not give the hid bulb enough time to warm up therefore killing the lifespan of your bulb as well.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Murano_MDX said:
not only will it kill the ballast, but it does not give the hid bulb enough time to warm up therefore killing the lifespan of your bulb as well.
Makes sense.

-njjoe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts