Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I would like to introduce myself, I am from vancouver, BC and I am planning on leasing a '04 murano SL AWD. However in vancouver the HID lights dont come as an option as opposed to the US. Therefore, my question is, is it possible to install aftermarket HID lights on the murano? Is it possible to install one in the murano without having to drill or modify the housing of the headlamps?

PS I dont need the SE model which the HID comes standard ,which is why i ask this question.. Any help or feedback will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Unfortunately the answer is no, unless you completely swap out the light cluster. The projector beam headlamps in the Murano cannot be retrofitted with HID bulbs because the high beam mechanism is not simply a second filament, its a motorized reflector.

·
Registered
466 Posts
What type of bulb does the non-HID Murano use? The reason why I am asking is because you can put in HID aftermarket kits, depending on the kit. www.mccullochhid.com sells complete kits that are plug and play. (No wire splicing involved.) As far as the high beams go, you will never need them with the HID kit. I never use my high-beams and I have factory HID.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dookie, yea sorry i wasnt specific with my post because i read that most reputable hid conversion kits are plug n play meaning, like you said no splicing of wires, but i do not know how the headlamps are built on the murano so before leasing the vehicle i wanted to verify with you guys if its feasible to do the swap without drilling or tampering of the housing

PS i believe the bulbs are 9007, but correct me if i am wrong..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea i think i will email xenon depot with the same question and see if its possible to install the hid lights without drilling or anything..thanks dookie for your help

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
HID aftermarket

Hi all... I am getting an SL Awd murano this weekend, real good deal. Below invoice price.

I have the same questions as the post above. Retroffting aftermarket HID. I did it on my A4 (audi), looks awesome and half the price of OEM HID.

Make sure you get the osram/philips bulbs, dont get those japanese DS2 bulbs. Yes, you are right! No wire splicing is involved. Only power taping to the batery and relay installing. Not too dificult. More details on the process, email me.

I am thinking of doing the retrofits as my next project when i got the murano. ...keep in touch people...

·
4,664 Posts
If you have pictures, post 'em! I've been thinking about this for 10 months now... I think the SL headlights would actually look better than the SE's with HIDs in them...

·
4,664 Posts
Oh, and I recall seeing a kit that would fit the fogs too, but I wonder if that would just create massive glare...:confused:

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
update from xenon depot....This doesnt sound encouraging

Hello xxxx(deleted)

Thank-you for contacting XenonDepot.

If your vehicle uses a 9007 bulb than you would need to get a 9007
conversion kit. Having said that however, the 9007 bulb is a dual filament
bulb meaning that your vehicle uses a single bulb for both high & low beam.
Installing our 9007 conversion kit would cause you to lose your high beam
functionality.

Steve
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Customer Relations Department
Email: [email protected]
URL: www.XenonDepot.com
Tel: 1.905.660.0124
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ALL PRICES QUOTED VALID FOR 5 DAYS

·
Registered
466 Posts
That is true--you will lose your high-beam capability. The question is how much do you need it in the first place before the HID kit install? I never used mine what so ever. That being said, I knew I would be fine with the aftermarket HID kit. Trust me--you won't need it.

Jaak--As far as the SL headlights looking better than the SE HID projectors, well there's two aspects-looks and effectiveness. The SE projectors will be more efficient is usable light because it is a concentrated beam. The SL's will look like the Lexus IS300 headlights, or any other car with HID that doesn't have a projector. Generally, these cars' light out put isn't as far as the projector models.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Hmmm I did not know the SL had normal reflector type headlamps, I thought it was also projector, just not HID.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK having read all the posts about the hid light install on the SL model, I may order a 9007 kit. My question is can somebody confirm that there would be no need of drilling mounting brackets on the SL to secure the ballasts? Can zip ties suffice?

PS SugarRushMurano, I believe CATZ makes a high/low beam hid light kit for 9007 refer to link http://www.extremeredline.com/lights/catz/catz_hid_kit.htm

Also is 4100k the same output as factory installed hid lights?

·
Registered
466 Posts
You don't have to drill to mount the ballasts. Some people use double sided tape to secure them. It's all up to you. Zip ties should work fine as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the SL has reflector type headlamps then would installing an HID kit look stupid? I mean will the light just shine all over the place and not at a concentrated area like projectors?

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you get a good HID kit, the light should be the same as halogens do, just brighter and farther.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dookie said:
If you get a good HID kit, the light should be the same as halogens do, just brighter and farther.

Not so. Halogen light systems are designed differently (optically) and the cut off will be bad or non existent which leads to lots of light being thrown high and wide - into oncoming traffic.

A really good HID company will tell you this up front. A good company wont sell 9007 either - way too dangerous to lose the high beam function.

Resources:

www.xenontechnologies.com
www.polarionlighting.com

Abosolute best HID kit? Phoenix Microlight. They will work with you in designing one well suited for the application - not some generic kit. Be prepared to spend $600 or so though on this kit.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
catz HID

SL_AWD... The catz HID uses japanese/taiwan made bulb and not-too-good quality on balast. Several friends of mine who use it in their audi complaint of the short life. (bulbs on average blows in 9 month - 15 month).

I agree with Driver4.
Phoenix microlite is one of the best hid kit.
Buy in www.spp.com, that's usually audi and vw anthusiast buy their stuffs. Second, usually is the philips kit, and oschram kit. Both use philips balast. (difference is philips bulbs and oscram bulbs). Made in germany and use the same bulb as the oem xenons. These kits (including bulbs), by itself carries a 4 yrs waranty. Japs/taiwan bulb manufacturer only have 1 yr max. See the class-diference?

The kit i am using in my A4, is Philips kit. Have been on it for 1 yr, not a single problem. (touch wood). Everyone says it look awesome. I also i replace the projector housing to OEM xenon projector...maybe the combination of the 2.

9007 kit , without hi-beam, sounds dangerous?
or do u like to play dangerously? :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts