Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Since there are now aftermarket intake options available, aside from the "universal, cheap, made in China" options without a hole for the air temp sensors, does anyone have personal experience with them?
If so, what are your thoughts? I am not looking for max horsepower for wide open throttle runs or anything crazy. Would like to have a nicer sound coming from the engine and smoother partial throttle response and feel while driving.

Can't really find anyone online who has shared experiences, so hoping to get some insight from this forums.

Thanks all,
Brandon

·
Super Moderator
1,284 Posts
Hey all,

Since there are now aftermarket intake options available, aside from the "universal, cheap, made in China" options without a hole for the air temp sensors, does anyone have personal experience with them?
If so, what are your thoughts? I am not looking for max horsepower for wide open throttle runs or anything crazy. Would like to have a nicer sound coming from the engine and smoother partial throttle response and feel while driving.

Can't really find anyone online who has shared experiences, so hoping to get some insight from this forums.

Thanks all,
Brandon
The Murano get it's engine air from in front of the radiator, as cool as it's going to get, before being effected by engine and radiator heat. Every after-market intake setup that I've ever seen is grabbing air from inside the engine compartment. Not good in the summer heat for mileage and engine performance.

Foam filters also let larger particles of dirt into the engine then the stock air filter. The less dirt from any source burning thru the engine will increase the life of your catalytic converter. Any microscopic dirt particles will stick to the catalytic honeycomb, clogging it sooner then later, shorting it's life. Same goes for using cheap gas.

If you're looking for a better throttle response, you'll want to invest in a electronic throttle controller type device.

I use something similar to this:

Car Speed up Auto Electronic Throttle Controller Car Accessories Gas Pedal Booster Accelerator Commander for Nissan Murano 2003+|Car Electronic Throttle Controller| - AliExpress

Much better throttle response and you get more engine power at a lower RPM. Also improves the exhaust sound at lower RPM with heavy acceleration. I've been very happy with it. Search and you'll find my write-up about it here on the forum.

Word of warning:

Stay away from any device that claims fuel/power improvements that either plugs into the MAP sensor on the engine or plugs into the ODB port. For power, they work by tricking the car into thinking the the incoming air is much cooler then it actually is, so it will burn rich. Bad for the valve train. For fuel savings, it tricks the car into thinking the air is hotter then reality, causing the engine to burn lean, bad for the top of the cylinders and cats.

Have a good day.

Reactions: Pilgrim

·
Super Moderator
8,754 Posts
PaulDay is 100% right on target.

All I can suggest is that before you throw money at this, get evidence from someone other than the manufacturer that it actually works.

Roughly 98% of everything that claims to increase power by modifying the air intake is a flat out fraud. If there is improvement, it will be achieved electronically.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Murano get it's engine air from in front of the radiator, as cool as it's going to get, before being effected by engine and radiator heat. Every after-market intake setup that I've ever seen is grabbing air from inside the engine compartment. Not good in the summer heat for mileage and engine performance.

Foam filters also let larger particles of dirt into the engine then the stock air filter. The less dirt from any source burning thru the engine will increase the life of your catalytic converter. Any microscopic dirt particles will stick to the catalytic honeycomb, clogging it sooner then later, shorting it's life. Same goes for using cheap gas.

If you're looking for a better throttle response, you'll want to invest in a electronic throttle controller type device.

I use something similar to this:

Car Speed up Auto Electronic Throttle Controller Car Accessories Gas Pedal Booster Accelerator Commander for Nissan Murano 2003+|Car Electronic Throttle Controller| - AliExpress

Much better throttle response and you get more engine power at a lower RPM. Also improves the exhaust sound at lower RPM with heavy acceleration. I've been very happy with it. Search and you'll find my write-up about it here on the forum.

Word of warning:

Stay away from any device that claims fuel/power improvements that either plugs into the MAP sensor on the engine or plugs into the ODB port. For power, they work by tricking the car into thinking the the incoming air is much cooler then it actually is, so it will burn rich. Bad for the valve train. For fuel savings, it tricks the car into thinking the air is hotter then reality, causing the engine to burn lean, bad for the top of the cylinders and cats.

Have a good day.
Thanks for the great advice. How easy is it to install that part you linked?

·
Super Moderator
1,284 Posts
Thanks for the great advice. How easy is it to install that part you linked?
Unplug the cable from the throttle under the dash. Plug the device into the throttle and the cable into the matching connector. Feed the wire to a where you want to mount the small control box.

My control box is in the small doored cubby on the center console. I pulled the center console piece out and using a dermal, made a hole just large enough to pass the connector thru for the control box.

It's a pretty much "set it and forget it" once you find a setting you like. I set it to 6 on the middle performance level, but my wife wants it at level 4, too jumpy for her at level 6.

If you let other's drive your car, you can set it in Eco mode and they'll be forced to drive in granny mode. It can be a hoot seeing them stomping on the gas and the car is taking off like it's stuck in molasses, after them seeing you taking off like a bat out of hell. Just don't let them know where the control box is.

Have a good day.

PS You can unplug the control box and the main box will continue to operate using the last setting.

Reactions: scott5626

·
Registered
18 Posts
Unplug the cable from the throttle under the dash. Plug the device into the throttle and the cable into the matching connector. Feed the wire to a where you want to mount the small control box.

My control box is in the small doored cubby on the center console. I pulled the center console piece out and using a dermal, made a hole just large enough to pass the connector thru for the control box.

It's a pretty much "set it and forget it" once you find a setting you like. I set it to 6 on the middle performance level, but my wife wants it at level 4, too jumpy for her at level 6.

If you let other's drive your car, you can set it in Eco mode and they'll be forced to drive in granny mode. It can be a hoot seeing them stomping on the gas and the car is taking off like it's stuck in molasses, after them seeing you taking off like a bat out of hell. Just don't let them know where the control box is.

Have a good day.

PS You can unplug the control box and the main box will continue to operate using the last setting.
Thanks for the detailed information. I have used a Pedal Commander on previous vehicles. This seems quite similar but it’s not plugged into the OBD port?

·
Super Moderator
1,284 Posts
Thanks for the detailed information. I have used a Pedal Commander on previous vehicles. This seems quite similar but it’s not plugged into the OBD port?
No, it plugs in down at the gas peddle.

Have a good day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts