Nissan Murano Forum banner

Aftermarket navigation system 2012 Murano

17K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  DARKINA 
#1 ·
Hi, does nayone know if it is possible to install an aftermarket gps / navigation system into a '12 murano (without bose stereo.) I have found units that fit where the upper screen currently is, but not sure if an aftermarket unit would allow for the display of the temperature controls which currenly show on the top screen display unit that would be repalced by an aftermarket unit. Many thanks!

#4 ·
wr-
Once upon a time around 1980 there was a lawsuit over non-standard factory radios and all the makers had to play nice with standards. I have no idea how that bit the dust but now the game is that nothing else fits. Or fully works.

Your best bet is to buy an aftermarket GPS WITH LIFETIME MAPS and just velcro it into the dash if you want it to look "sorta builtin". Aside from the incredible price of factory AND aftermarket in-dash systems, they often charge $100-200 per year to update the maps, while a $200 Garmin, Trimble, or TomTom will often include 4 free updates a year for "life".

In some areas updates aren't important, but there's a lot of highway still being built. OTOH, traffic services seem to be useless. I've tried several and they're all clueless at best.

#5 ·
I have a 2011 SL, and just had a Nav system installed last week. Is the display the same in the 2011 1nd 2012? I have the Bose, but i'm not sure if that's a factor.
I have all original control of everything, and you would'nt know it's there till you touch the screen.
The unit I had installed has the ability to update maps I believe unlimited for a year at $99 and one time for around $58. It's done with a SD card you remove from unit, and plug into your Computer.

#7 ·
"unlimited for a year at $99 and one time for around $58."
That's half or less of what most dealers and brand names want.

Of course, lifetime unlimited maps only bumps the cost of a Garmin or TomTom up $30 compared to plain models, and if you buy a plain model, about $70 will buy you the lifetime unlimited maps afterwards.

$30 for life, versus $200 every year...Oink oink?

#9 ·
I had the Prodigy1 installed, made by Directus, intaphex or whatever they are called. I have Bose Radio, backup camera and nothing has changed. Everything works as before. If you're in Nav, and you put it in reverse, the camera overides the Nav. They install a touch screen overlay over original color screen, but you would. never know it's there. You just tap screen to get into nav, and press exit button on screen to get out. Like I said, I have the Prodigy1 and cost me $1300 installed plus I got a discount from installer. The Prodigy1.2 believe runs about$1600-$1800 installed. They say the 1.2 runs a little faster and has more memory, but mine is fine.

I like this setup, as I got tired of taking the Garmin out of the car when I stopped on a trip, and didn't care for cable draped over dash when using

2011 Murano SL same color as my handle

#10 ·
Yes it is possible. I have had an after market navi in my 2012 murano from the beginning. It mounts behind the current screen. The screen itself is replace with a touch sensitive screen that cam with the model. A push button switch was installed in the consol to toggle between the navi system and the native radio-CD/climate control display. Essentially this works like two input devices connected to a TV. You can't watch both at once but you can move between them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.