Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a new 2005 Murano last night (Midnight Blue - very nice looking car, if I don't say so myself! :)

We didn't get the navigation system but are interested in putting an aftermarket system into the car. There have been lots of discussion here and other places about which aftermarket navigation system is best. But before I get into figure that out, I had 2 basic questions:

1) Does adding an aftermarket nav void any parts of the warranty?

2) Where are people putting them? It doesn't sound like you can tie it directly into the existing screen, so where else do you put it so it's not obtrusive?

Thanks,
-Steve

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Welcome Steve, I Suggest a search under NAV or navagation system etc. You will find a lot of prior postings. I use a VCommand that does not use a screen. I love it it talks to you and you talk to it. No interfacing with any of the vehicle systems. No distractions and easy to install. A little more expensive than some. GRIP :D

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Welcome to the family! If you stick around there is a lot to learn. I can't believe that I've been a member here for as long as I have. I'm sure that you'll love this forum and your new MO a lot.

The search function is probably your best bet, but a lot of people suggest a Garmin unit and mount it on the dash directly above the center screen. However, you may want to look into Grip's little device. He swears by it! Apparently it even has a bit of a personality and can play cards with you. Good luck. Let us know what you decide on, and again, welcome aboard!

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Welcome Steve... I hope you enjoy the murano for years to come...

There are 5 options you can go for aftermarket navigation:

1. VCommand (Grip's)

2. Pocket PC (PDA) based GPS navigation, like what i have

3. Carputer, but you have to figure out where to mount the screen.
And this is a big project but very rewarding. www.mp3car.com

4. Aftermarket standalone gps: like Garmin, Magellan
Around $1000+ bucks. www.gpapassion.com

5. Do a big modificationon murano Dashboards and put in aftermarket headunit (like pioneer) that has nav in it....
Lots of work, labor, time and $$$$ involved here. http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3037&highlight=aftermarket+nav

There are pros and cons to each solution. Good luck.

·
5,100 Posts
Great reply SugarRush!, the only thing I can add is that there are IPod like devices that have a NAV system built in. Kill to birds at once, Do a Google and you will find them, one is the Creative Labs Media Center, by the way it also plays movies! . Grip :D

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I have a very nice used (in warranty) Magellan 700 for sale. All the extras, latest software, and I'll even make you a MO mount if you want it. $899 free shipping..

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
ekaxel

ekaxel said:
I have a very nice used (in warranty) Magellan 700 for sale. All the extras, latest software, and I'll even make you a MO mount if you want it. $899 free shipping..
I also PM' ed you. I am in the market deciding between a 700 and 2620 and was going to order a new 2620 today but depending upon the extras that you have I may be interested in yours. Please let me know ASAP.

EDIT: Just got your PM, Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vcommand install?

Grip,

I've been reviewing the Vcommand product as per your aftermarket choice.

I'm interested in where you mounted the unit, put the GPS antenna, etc.

Did you make this a permanent install or did you retain it as portable?

In reviewing this site, the OEM NAV would go into a space in the console, so if I was doing a permanent install, this would probably be the best location, right?

What about speaker & microphone placement?

Tell me all the gory details...

·
5,100 Posts
I put my antenna right next to my XM SAT antenna. Both in the "Hidden Mount" location which is you unsnap the cover at the top of the hatch on the inside. A nunger of posts have shown this, suggest a search of posts for detail and I think there is a gallery picture. I am starting to get over my "cold" and plan on taking pictures of most stuff this week. I mounted the microphone just to the left of the radio and below the ignition key pointing the sensitive openings up toward my face. I mounted the speaker on the drivers side of the counsel way up front about above my right foot.

I mounted the "Unit" in the rear "cushion Mounted' in about the same place the BOSE amp is mounted except on the drivers sideI mainly did this as I felt that taking the console apart was a bit much and I was already installing a PAC unit in the rear as I did not want to take the Radio apart either. If you buy from Auto ecteria you may be able to get him to cut the price a little AND he has the latest xcase for the portable unit it looks nicer. Tell him I refered you and that you would like a little reduction in price. Good luck!

I know you need pictures. I keep hoping my "B-Quite" padding will arrive everyday as I did not want to open that area all up for pictures alone but at the same time I am putting the B-Quite sound insulation in. Then this "worlds Worst Cold Attack' struck. Pics soon I have had a number of PM's asking and I will soon AND ship the Grille. This dammn thing just will not give up.

·
5,100 Posts
Did I mention on this thread that since I got the 05 MO I have the All talk VCom NAv up for sale, Look under Classifieds, Cheap. GRIP :D

·
Registered
758 Posts
Vcom Nav Units on EBAY

Grip,
I am searching for a new Navigation system as I am tired of having to piece mine together, Bluetooth GPS receiver, IPAQ, Have to load Maps based on where I am heading, mount for IPAQ is annoying, etc..., etc... I found the VCOM unit on EBAY, the guy has five of them and supposedly they are brand new. Was the installation of this unit difficult? If anyone else is interested there are five of them at a set price of $295.00 plus $18.00 shipping.

VCOM NAV Units on EBAY

1 - 11 of 11 Posts