Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone looked into Aftermarket shocks and struts? I like the ride and handling under normal conditions but would like a little more when teh car is loaded or when I want to dive a little harder into a turn.

Super Black '03 with Latte Leather interior, sunroof, premium pkg, draw tite trailer hitch

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
rugiles said:
Has anyone looked into Aftermarket shocks and struts? I like the ride and handling under normal conditions but would like a little more when teh car is loaded or when I want to dive a little harder into a turn.

Super Black '03 with Latte Leather interior, sunroof, premium pkg, draw tite trailer hitch
The Murano is brand new, so nothing is available yet. I would jump at the chance to put a set of KYB AGX's into the Murano.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Re: Re: Aftermarket Shocks and Struts

Eric L. said:

The Murano is brand new, so nothing is available yet. I would jump at the chance to put a set of KYB AGX's into the Murano.

i have KYB's on my bike right now.........

would jump at the chnace for ohlins (or the like)

im thinking of Eibach's, if my wheels ever arrive (need to see how rought the ride is after the change in wheel size/sidewall size)

im already tenatively agreed on trading my coils/etc. for the SE's with another member, if all goes well......

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to see your MO when you get it all together. Which effects the ride quality more the shocks or the springs? if I upgrade teh shocks would it be a waste of money with out the springs?

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
rugiles said:
I want to see your MO when you get it all together. Which effects the ride quality more the shocks or the springs? if I upgrade teh shocks would it be a waste of money with out the springs?

good question............

im still learning (have a long way togo)

my guess is that the spring (rate) will be the most noticable effect on ride quality........ jus a guess

·
Registered
719 Posts
I was under the impression that the shocks primary function was to control the "compression and rebound" of the springs.

Consequently, the two do work hand in hand and changing one or the other can be a real hit or miss proposition.

I would think the springs provide the "ride quality" while the shocks dampen the rebound or compression of the springs giving you the handling/cornering ability.

But I'm sure someone has a better explaination, maybe Enforcer with the 350Z (drool) and the Murano!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
dklanecky1 said:
I was under the impression that the shocks primary function was to control the "compression and rebound" of the springs.

Consequently, the two do work hand in hand and changing one or the other can be a real hit or miss proposition.

I would think the springs provide the "ride quality" while the shocks dampen the rebound or compression of the springs giving you the handling/cornering ability.

But I'm sure someone has a better explaination, maybe Enforcer with the 350Z (drool) and the Murano!
That is a pretty good summary of what shocks and springs do. Generally adjustable shocks/struts allow you to adjust their dampening ability. Firmer settings generally allow the vehicle to "recover faster" after hitting bumps, returning control of steering faster than with softer suspension.

We won't see aftermarket suspension for the Murano for a while, since the car is so new. I expect in a year or two, we'll see more mods coming out, which is good since I don't really want to waste the new parts that came with the car.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wow, fun stuff.

The springs give the frequency of articualtion, where as the shocks control the articulation. A lower frequency of articulation and firmer control is generally better in handling, but a very soft spring with a load (passengers) coupled with short suspension travel amounts to little upward suspension movement. That is BAD for ride and handeling.

The Murano's limit is the suspension travel. The short travel causes the car to "jounce" or "bottom" when it is driven very aggressively with some weight. This is quickly enhanced when more weight is added to the car or when your on a bumpy or wavy road.

Firmer springs <and> shocks help maintain better handling in all conditions (on road), wheras only having firmer shocks would mostly help handling in "unloaded" conditions. Only changing to firmer springs would give a more "bouncy" ride.

I like a cumfy ride, with some control. The only suspensions that I have been really impressed with use air springs. You can keep the height "centered" to maintain travel with a low spring rate. The spring rate can even be varied by the size of the accumulator (expansion tank)-Via valves-.

If you want to understand soft springs, long travel and firm shocks, go test drive a new BMW fast over a rough or wavy road. They are notiorus for this arrangement.

Some new luxury cars (Mercedes E500) have automatically adjustable Springs (height and spring rate) and shock valving. The best of both worlds.

If your still with me, I apolagize. I worked in engineering and development for 9 years for VW and Audi. Suspension was my obsession.......

Matthew

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
mattsmurano said:
Wow, fun stuff.

The springs give the frequency of articualtion, where as the shocks control the articulation. A lower frequency of articulation and firmer control is generally better in handling, but a very soft spring with a load (passengers) coupled with short suspension travel amounts to little upward suspension movement. That is BAD for ride and handeling.

The Murano's limit is the suspension travel. The short travel causes the car to "jounce" or "bottom" when it is driven very aggressively with some weight. This is quickly enhanced when more weight is added to the car or when your on a bumpy or wavy road.

Firmer springs <and> shocks help maintain better handling in all conditions (on road), wheras only having firmer shocks would mostly help handling in "unloaded" conditions. Only changing to firmer springs would give a more "bouncy" ride.

I like a cumfy ride, with some control. The only suspensions that I have been really impressed with use air springs. You can keep the height "centered" to maintain travel with a low spring rate. The spring rate can even be varied by the size of the accumulator (expansion tank)-Via valves-.

If you want to understand soft springs, long travel and firm shocks, go test drive a new BMW fast over a rough or wavy road. They are notiorus for this arrangement.

Some new luxury cars (Mercedes E500) have automatically adjustable Springs (height and spring rate) and shock valving. The best of both worlds.

If your still with me, I apolagize. I worked in engineering and development for 9 years for VW and Audi. Suspension was my obsession.......

Matthew
NICE INFO mATT

THNX!!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
So Matt what's it gonna take to approximate the BMW approach?
BMW is not the only ones BTW. The Racing Renaults are famous for having 6" of travel and yet are tenacious in cornering.

I like cars that can handle well, yet have very good compliance on rough roads.

The US way of doing it (And I guess the japanese too) is to just basically make everything firm.
And while this works just fine on silky smooth venues, it doesn't make it in the real world.

Now I also know that springs come in several different configurations from Linear to progessive along with being "soft" and "hard".

Now I know we can't change the basic suspension design of the vehicle, but we should be able to "bias" it a certain way.

What are your suggestions, conceptionally, to give us BMW handling?

Seems to me we would need soft, progressive springs with gas shocks (As I understand it, gas shocks have several advantages. Chief among them is consistency? and then they are also easier valved (probably because of consistency and lack of fluid temp problems)?

And what about the bushings?
Sometimes you can get different bushings that will affect handling.

The problem tho, as I see it, is that when aftermarket becomes available for the Murano, it will go like most other aftermarket here in the states.
That is it will go in exactly the wrong direction.

It will go toward lowered harder springs and shocks that are tighter than raw steel. Bushings will be some synthetic that will be like iron. Aftermarket sway bars etc will be 2" thick and guaranteed to never flex.

But I can dream.

Homer

·
Registered
275 Posts
BMW-Renault-Citroen....Nissan? hehe

Homer,

It seems you got it! Down to Renault! I have always been a huge fan of Renault's ride and handeling approach.

Springs, in any progression or firmness don't seem to satisfy my desire. My plan is to go air. I did it on my last 2 cars. I will go with a valved resivoir (to change spring rate) and autolevelling for thoughtless ride height maintainance. My last car had a setting with HUGE accumulators. Talk about "hover"! It was eerie. But huge amounts of dive and squat when braking and accellerating made it unrealistic during everyday driving. It was the "I am playing" setting. It really entertained my friends! I had a average accumulator for comfortable driving and closed them both for firm "trailer towing". I found that the increased travel on the soft setting made the shocks feel firmer. I suppose the longer stroke displaced more oil on each articulation....

I removed a rear shock and they are gas... I will stay with the factory shocks or maybe change to the softer SL shocks.

I will leave the front alone for now. But who knows. I may end up with some funky Citroen-Murano if I get too bored....

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Re: BMW-Renault-Citroen....Nissan? hehe

The factory shock/struts are gas charged, but they are not the same setup as a premium shock/strut like the KYB AGX. The KYB has advanced seals and check valves to make sure the gas and oil do not mix and foam. This is something the Nissan unit probably does not have, and eventually you will get leakage from it - according to the FSM in my 97 Maxima, this is considered "normal."

mattsmurano said:
Homer,

It seems you got it! Down to Renault! I have always been a huge fan of Renault's ride and handeling approach.

Springs, in any progression or firmness don't seem to satisfy my desire. My plan is to go air. I did it on my last 2 cars. I will go with a valved resivoir (to change spring rate) and autolevelling for thoughtless ride height maintainance. My last car had a setting with HUGE accumulators. Talk about "hover"! It was eerie. But huge amounts of dive and squat when braking and accellerating made it unrealistic during everyday driving. It was the "I am playing" setting. It really entertained my friends! I had a average accumulator for comfortable driving and closed them both for firm "trailer towing". I found that the increased travel on the soft setting made the shocks feel firmer. I suppose the longer stroke displaced more oil on each articulation....

I removed a rear shock and they are gas... I will stay with the factory shocks or maybe change to the softer SL shocks.

I will leave the front alone for now. But who knows. I may end up with some funky Citroen-Murano if I get too bored....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GR-2

I just checked the KYB website and they list that their GR-2 shocks and struts are available for the MO. Anyone had ecperience with them? Are they better than the stock? Could the AGX be around the corner?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Re: GR-2

rugiles said:
I just checked the KYB website and they list that their GR-2 shocks and struts are available for the MO. Anyone had ecperience with them? Are they better than the stock? Could the AGX be around the corner?
I would imagine the GR-2 would be at least as good as the stock struts (maybe as still as the SE's maybe?) since they are supposed to a bit firmer than stock.

If AGX's became available, I would be the first one to get them. Had them on the Maxima and they are excellent!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bummed out

I emailed KYB for updates on the possibility of the AGX for the MO and the answer was no.

Troy Horn:
We will not be offering the AGX line for this vehicle, only the GR-2
line. They will be available in late September.

Should we start an email campaign to get them to change their minds or find another manufacture who understands our desires for improved handling and performance?

:3:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Re: Bummed out

rugiles said:
I emailed KYB for updates on the possibility of the AGX for the MO and the answer was no.

Troy Horn:

Should we start an email campaign to get them to change their minds or find another manufacture who understands our desires for improved handling and performance?

Ah man, that stinks. I was really looking forward to AGX's. I cannot think of a comparable strut with the same adjustability for the price.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Re: Bummed out

That stinks. Anyone know if the GR-2's would be much better (if at all) then the OEMs (SL)?

rugiles said:

Troy Horn:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts