Nissan Murano Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched everywhere, but have found little info regarding this anywhere. I have a 2009 Murano S, no bose, no navigation, 6 disc cd changer only. I have read in a lot of places that it is not possible to replace the radio in the Muranos, but I have also seen a few things that say it may be possible with the base model like I have. Crutchfield.com does list options to replace the radio. Scosche makes faceplates for either double din or single din units.

So, I think it is possible to replace the radio in my Murano. But, I can not find a single person on this site with pictures, or any thread showing that it has been done.

here is a link to an ebay auction for the dash kit. In the auction it plainly states that it will not work with Bose or navigation. But if its possible, why hasn't anyone done it?

2008 2009 2010 2011 Nissan Murano Single or Double Din Radio Install Dash Kit | eBay

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,
If you call Crutchfield, they can upload pictures of the 2009 Murano to your screen. I know because they did this for me by asking for the Web ID at the bottom of the screen you are on when you call them. Unfortunately, I have a 2011 and their pictures did not apply to my car...different dash than an 09.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just an update, if anyone was wondering. This is 100% doable, in fact it wasn't too difficult. I added an aftermarket head unit, sirius satellite radio tuner and antenna, amplifier and subwoofer pretty easily. This is only for the S model with base stereo, no bose. Can update with pics if anyone is interested.

·
Administrator
9,990 Posts
just an update, if anyone was wondering. This is 100% doable, in fact it wasn't too difficult. I added an aftermarket head unit, sirius satellite radio tuner and antenna, amplifier and subwoofer pretty easily. This is only for the S model with base stereo, no bose. Can update with pics if anyone is interested.
What controls did you give up? I think I'd rather keep the stock stereo than give up the steering wheel controls for the radio.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I've heard here and there, but have yet to 100% confirm, that some aftermarket radios have connectors specifically for steering wheel controls. If you know which steering wheel signals the OEM stereo, then you can isolate the lines and splice them into a fitting connector. The only thing you have to do is find an aftermarket stereo that has that capability.

Post pictures please! Would be nice to see your setup in your MO!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Jack Daniels,

Pics or even a simple bullet list with parts needed and steps would be very helpful!
I am going to try to install an AVIC X930BT that I installed and recently removed from the Nissan-Rogue (that I traded for the 2010 MO).

So, any help will be appreciated. I also plan in taking pics, just in case I succeed :).

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ordered an aftermarket radio this weekend for my 2010 murano S. any one know where to find a wiring diagram? The only thing I'm worried about is finding the dimmer wire so that my new radio dims when I turn on the headlights.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Installed pretty easily

So I just bought a 2010 base murano. No Bose. I ended up going with a clarion cx501. I ordered from crutchfield, and the included adapters were free and worked great. I apologize for the lack of in-process photos, it was hot and I was in a rush.

The install was actually very easy. The free adapter harness worked perfectly, and in this case the the Clarion wiring matched perfectly with the free car adapter wiring, color for color.

Opening the dash was easy, and removing the stock stereo simple. Just pop off the plastic piece below the center console, and remove screws until everything is out if the way. The A/C controls kind of have to be popped out once the side trim is unscrewed and removed. The cx501 even fit right in to the cars mounting rails without the need for the whole kit that came free from crutchfield. All I had to use was the face plate, which screwed right into place once the radio was installed.

A couple things to note; the ground wire on the crutchfield harness should not be used. Instead, run the ground wire (black) directly from the stereo to the bolt located behind the left silver trim, behind and under the start button. The bolt itself is 10mm and a bit of a pain to reach, but you only have to loosen it a bit to add your new ground wire to the existing bundle of wires you see grounded to the same spot.

The only other confusion I had was with the antenna adapter. The 2009 Mo has 3 wires from the antenna harness, 1 power and 2 others (2 antennas?). The antenna adapter only uses 2 of them, with an empty slot for the third. I wired the antenna adapter in, and the reception seems just fine, at least so far as I can tell, despite losing that 2nd antenna.

Of course, I lost the upper radio display in the bargain, even the clock, but I guess that is the trade off to get Bluetooth and a built in USB port in my Murano. It's only been a week, but stuff works fine and sounds good. I would be open to any suggestions on just what to do with that dead display space up top.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
One other little hiccup I neglected to mention. Since the install, my passenger Side air bag will not 'activate'. The orange light below the radio stays on regardless of who is riding there, and the dash warning light keeps flashing the airbag warning. Owners manual only states that I should take it to a dealer if that light is flashing. Not sure if its because I had to unplug the orange light when I took apart the dash, or something else. Does anyone know how to reset the warning light?

·
Registered
258 Posts
what kind of subwoofer have you added?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ha, I posted on this forum a long time ago and just randomly decided to come back. I installed the same Clarion radio as the guy above. The only thing I'm not crazy about on the radio is sometimes the display does not have great visibility in direct sunlight.

It sounds like we installed using the exact same methods, reusing the stock radio bracket, etc. I think you may have left a wire unclipped with the airbag light, you might open up the dash again and check it out.

I think the antenna wire has come loose in the back, so I am going to have to get back in there sometime and fix it. I will take pics and post here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm getting ready to replace my factory radio as well. I'm wondering why you didn't use the ground from the crutchfield harness? Did they suggest that? Same with the antenna adapter? Shouldn't these be "plug and play?"

The display up top is actually two separate display screens, one for the radio, and one for the HVAC controls, with a common plastic screen. They can be separated. I've seen others that have relocated the HVAC screen down below, or in the glove compartment. It would allow you to put a true 7" color monitor up there, if your stereo played DVD's, for example.

Thanks

So I just bought a 2010 base murano. No Bose. I ended up going with a clarion cx501. I ordered from crutchfield, and the included adapters were free and worked great. I apologize for the lack of in-process photos, it was hot and I was in a rush.

The install was actually very easy. The free adapter harness worked perfectly, and in this case the the Clarion wiring matched perfectly with the free car adapter wiring, color for color.

Opening the dash was easy, and removing the stock stereo simple. Just pop off the plastic piece below the center console, and remove screws until everything is out if the way. The A/C controls kind of have to be popped out once the side trim is unscrewed and removed. The cx501 even fit right in to the cars mounting rails without the need for the whole kit that came free from crutchfield. All I had to use was the face plate, which screwed right into place once the radio was installed.

A couple things to note; the ground wire on the crutchfield harness should not be used. Instead, run the ground wire (black) directly from the stereo to the bolt located behind the left silver trim, behind and under the start button. The bolt itself is 10mm and a bit of a pain to reach, but you only have to loosen it a bit to add your new ground wire to the existing bundle of wires you see grounded to the same spot.

The only other confusion I had was with the antenna adapter. The 2009 Mo has 3 wires from the antenna harness, 1 power and 2 others (2 antennas?). The antenna adapter only uses 2 of them, with an empty slot for the third. I wired the antenna adapter in, and the reception seems just fine, at least so far as I can tell, despite losing that 2nd antenna.

Of course, I lost the upper radio display in the bargain, even the clock, but I guess that is the trade off to get Bluetooth and a built in USB port in my Murano. It's only been a week, but stuff works fine and sounds good. I would be open to any suggestions on just what to do with that dead display space up top.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm getting ready to replace my factory radio as well. I'm wondering why you didn't use the ground from the crutchfield harness? Did they suggest that? Same with the antenna adapter? Shouldn't these be "plug and play?"

The ground wire with the crutch field adapter doesn't connect to anything on the murano's harness. The crutch field adapter even labels the black wire as "Subaru only". There is just nothing in the car's harness that would connect to the ground from the new radio unit. So you have to take the radio's ground and connect it directly to the large grounding bolt behind the left trim. My unit had a 'C' connection built in so it could slide right under the ground bolt without taking the whole thing off. Just loosen and slide under the bolt head, re-tighten.

The antenna adapter just has to be wired into the radio's 'antenna power' (blue wires) because the stock radio had power built in to the antenna harness, while the new radio has that power supplied by the above mentioned blue wire.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.