Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to you all. What a great site you have here! I am a owner of a 2004 Murano and love the car! I am a real Nissan fan and this car is great! The question I have is the stereo that I have is the non bose system with no tape deck and only the single disk player. I was wondering if you can buy an aftermarket stereo for our car? I know the screen will not show the system info and the steering wheel control's will probably not work but I think I may be willing to live without those if I could put a better system in this car. By looking at the radio deck it looks to be maybe a double dinn size?

Is this a change that is even possible??

Thanks!

T

·
Registered
147 Posts
I believe the answer is no.

The faceplate you see on the center console is just that, a face plate, not even the head unit. It is attached by a data cable to the actual head unit, which is behind the center stacks front.

If I could put an aftermarket stereo in the MO, I woulda done it a while back so I would have better IPod integration options. However, I am happy with the BOSE.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, If I had the bose 6 disc I would be happy too. I have that system in my Pathfinder SE and I love it. This stock Nissan one just doesn't do it for me. Sounds like I may be stuck. I will have to work on my I-Pod hook up as well.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
pwfd81 said:
yea, If I had the bose 6 disc I would be happy too. I have that system in my Pathfinder SE and I love it. This stock Nissan one just doesn't do it for me. Sounds like I may be stuck. I will have to work on my I-Pod hook up as well.

This makes one wonder.....

Has anyone tried to replace their non-Bose radio with the Bose? I'm sure you could get a Bose radio from either the stealer, or junkyard or Ebay....

Couldn't be that involved, could it??

Jaak???? Zeb??? Generator??? Anyone???

<we got alot of techies on this board, it's a good thing>

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I could score the Bose system I would do that. I've heard the amp and other things like speakers all have to be matched up though? Could be very spendy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think the MO is the first car I've bought where I haven't upgraded the stereo. The main reason is because upgrade options are limited by the fact you cannot replace the head unit. There are, however, options to upgrade it on the back end.

I think that MIGHT be a factor in my next car purchase.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
for those that have navi in their mo's you could actually replace the headunit with a different one(custom install of course). i came to this conclusion since on the navi versions, you don't always have the radio data information on the screen( if you don't want to). you do loose the SSVC and RDS(in some cases) but you gain better sound and more options.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Sgt_Beavis said:
I think the MO is the first car I've bought where I haven't upgraded the stereo. The main reason is because upgrade options are limited by the fact you cannot replace the head unit. There are, however, options to upgrade it on the back end.

I think that MIGHT be a factor in my next car purchase.
More and more oem manufacturer design their car so that it is very difficult to replace their oem head units (and/or sound system) to aftermarket. I am not saying they are impossible to do given the right resources (i.e you are an expert in Digital Circuit signal and design, you got a friend who know a friend who designs the head unit for the car ..you got what i mean...).

Look at all German luxury line vehicles. Upgrading the head unit in those cars is very difficult. They are so integrated to the vehicle entire system (BMW's idrive for example, ot Audi's MMI system). Of course, in those cars you already have 12 speaker THX sound quality to begin with. So upgrading is a moot point :4:

·
Registered
147 Posts
SugarRushMurano said:

More and more oem manufacturer design their car so that it is very difficult to replace their oem head units (and/or sound system) to aftermarket.
Yea, it seems to be a trend with the imports. I don't know of an American car where you cannot upgrade the audio system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts