Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi..quick question for folks with 06 Murano....
while the heat is on with "fresh air" mode selected..when u touch the "inside air" circulation button does the a/c kicks in?? is this normal or a malfunctioning on my paticular vehicle..??

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
vin4evr said:
hi..quick question for folks with 06 Murano....
while the heat is on with "fresh air" mode selected..when u touch the "inside air" circulation button does the a/c kicks in?? is this normal or a malfunctioning on my paticular vehicle..??
This is standard operation in many vehicles - when recirc is turned on, AC also turns on. The idea is that if you switch air to recycling, fresh air is no longer is drawn in so humidity (from your own breathing) can cause windows to fog up. The AC acts as a dehumidifier, keeping your windows and windshield clear. This is the same reason the AC turns on when you switch to defog as well.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
vin4evr-

Have you ever been driving on a cold winter day and seen a car full of people with all of the windows fogged over? It was because the HVAC system was manually set to RECIRCULATE the cabin air. The moist air from their breath was trapped inside the cabin and condensed on the interior glass. The MO prevents this by dehumidifying the air, even in winter. Smart MO.

-njjoe

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

thanks for all the replies..I am new to the Nissan family...I was a honda fan for years..now switched to Nissan for a change...newyz i understand the whole concept of a/c kicking in and it make sense..but its not very fuel efficient in the winter..is it?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Well actually it is. See this thread: http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7013. The computer is monitoring several temperatures and engaging AC when it needs to. As oppossed to manually kicking it in yourself which most people forget to do in the winter, and when you do it's too late and you have to run it longer. This way the computer kicks it in when it's safe to do so and keeps the seals lubed as well as efficiently keeping fog off the windows.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
njjoe said:
vin4evr-

Have you ever been driving on a cold winter day and seen a car full of people with all of the windows fogged over? It was because the HVAC system was manually set to RECIRCULATE the cabin air. The moist air from their breath was trapped inside the cabin and condensed on the interior glass. The MO prevents this by dehumidifying the air, even in winter. Smart MO.

-njjoe
IMHO the MO aint smart.... but for sure those drivers are dumb. In the winter the air is typically so dry (unless of course its snowing/raining that you do NOT need the AC running. Just open the fresh air recirc and the car will NOT fog up and you save a little bit on gas for NOT running the AC.

·
Registered
77 Posts
njjoe said:
vin4evr-
I have asked people who do this and their answer was to save gas on the heat. I had to explain that the heat is free and is being dissipated through radiator anyway, and that they would help the cooling of the engine if they use more heat. I know I lied a bit on the last one.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
gang said:

I have asked people who do this and their answer was to save gas on the heat. I had to explain that the heat is free and is being dissipated through radiator anyway, and that they would help the cooling of the engine if they use more heat. I know I lied a bit on the last one.
Actually on a really hot day, the last part would be true!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts