Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been warm here in the northeast lately, and I've been using the AC. Does anyone have a lot of experience with the AC, particularly from warmer climates? I just don't think the thing puts out a lot of really cold air. Is my experience unusual?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I would assume that you are adjusting the cabin temp down low so that it will cool the cabin. If this still does not work, it is possible that you may have lost some of the refrigerant due to a leak in the A/C system. It is also possible that the A/C system may not have been charge properly from the factory.

Keep us posted.:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had mine for a year here in Florida so I have been through a summer. Never had a problem keeping it cold - too cold, sometimes, I have to back it off. My only wish was that the AC was not so loud when it kicks into high gear after sitting in the sun for a while. Deafening. Works great, though.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I use the auto position down here in FL and can easily drive it to 72 degrees on a 90 day. Typically set at 75, but I am testing it's ability to keep up with SW FL heat and humidity.
Most days here in the summer are 100%ers.
That is, the temp and the humidity 100% match each other at 95.
Pussies from Arizona can't handle it. They run big numbers like 120, but their Humiditys tends to be in the teens or lower. (Usta live in Scottsdale)

On a bad day the humidity goes to at least 100% for a short while (Late afternoon.) Thankfully this only happens 6 days a week from now until Oct.

Beyond that, I'm not interested, and as a matter of fact when it gets to be 95 (soon) I will set the internal at 75 for keeps.

If your MO can't keep up with the NE 90 degrees/75% humidity. something is wrong with it.
NOTE:I ONLY carry 2 people "most" of the time. And I keep the sushade drawn on the sunroof.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The summer here in Illinois has been fairly humid and I've had no problems with the AC. Its way better than AC on my Maxima ever was. On really hot days, the AC cools quicker on recirculating.

·
Registered
170 Posts
No problem with my MO keeping us cool in the humid 85 to 95 degree Hawaiian weather.

One thing that I'll share is that we closed the AC vents for the back seat. This keeps the full force of the cooling system focused on the two front seats, which is fine since there are only two people in my MO most of the time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No real problem with mine. It helps that I have a glacier with latte.

I'm also going to get the front windows tinted on Friday.
That should help too. Summer is coming to the islands.

MO_808

·
Registered
42 Posts
Same here...

I don't think mine is cold enough either. I have the same Auto AC system in my altima (03) and it is freezing!! But the MO never seems cold enough, although I haven't kicked it down to like 60 or so, but at 70 (I keep the alty at 72) it isn't very cold. I was wondering the same thing. But then I have heard the durango sucks as far as the AC goes.

So ya on hot days, it doesn't seem to work well. But my friend complains about her durango the same way. She has had hers charged up twice now I believe.

I may do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Just a note Nicole, you should NOT have to charge the AC system. If it needs a charge there is a leak.
In Georgia we are now cooking, all this week upper 80's near 90. MO is cooling down just fine, no problem here. As a footnote, all SUV types will take longer to cool than a car like your Altima due to the volume of interior space. I have the same Altima and I think the MO's climate control system is much more high end than the Altima.
Check it out at the Dealer, they will throw a temp sensor in the AC ducts and should know in hurry if it is lacking.
Let us know.
Bob1

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Did you clean your HEPA filter?

I just did an oil change and tire rotation to get ready for a 6,000 mile drive, and also changed the engine air filter. Then I saw a reminder in the shop waiting area to check your cabin air filter every 15,000 miles. I recently passed 22,000 miles so I asked the guy to check it. He didn't even know I had one and had to call over to the Nissan wing of the dealership to ask where its located. Tech pulled it out AND IT WAS BLACK. It had all kinds of NASTY, DISGUSTING stuff all over it, even little bugs. :16:

It would have cost $65 but I B&M'd about sitting there for 2.5 hours for a 30 minute oil change :twak: so he knocked $25 off. I was sitting there wondering if that could be some of the problems here. Really clogged HEPA cabin filters. I haven't had anything to complain about my AC (except for the noise when its 96 out) but its just a thought I had.

·
Registered
758 Posts
kingfisher

It has been mid 90's here all week and I have not noticed the AC in my Mo having any problems. If it is fairly warm and the Murano has been in the heat for a while it will take 10-15 minutes before I start to turn the Temp setting up because I'm getting cold but I consider the 10-15 minutes normal for a vehicle of that size sitting in the heat.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Regarding EasternPA post about the hepa-filter.
I have one in the Altima that I have not changed yet. I balked at the price for a freakin filter. The guy at the parts department was going to cut me some slack and knock about 20 bucks off it but I'm procrastinating. Has anyone out there checked aftermarket products? Napa, Pep-Boys? Do they have one? I'm guessing no since there are not too many MO's out there. If anyone finds themselves in a auto retail store, can you ask the counter guys and maybe post the price they have them. I'm sure one of our members will be happy to share some digital photos as to how we do the change. I know my Altima microfilter is somewhere up in the cab near the glovebox.
Bob1

·
Registered
758 Posts
Microfilter

I know this is getting off topic but 1stNissanParts has the Microfilter for 25.05 in case anyone needs to replace it. Replacement instructions come with the filter.

Microfilter

·
Registered
170 Posts
PCS, thanks for the tip. Changing the in-cabin microfilter is something that I'd like to handle myself without paying the dealer the big bucks. I noticed that the owner's manual states that we should take the MO to the dealer for this service item. Hopefully, it won't be too difficult to do ourselves.
:4:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Kingfisher ... can't see what color your MO is. My Midnite/charcoal
MO sits out in the S. FL sun until used and it handled 92 (yesterday)!! 10x better than my burg Suburban could with dual A/C units! No complaints here, but color makes a huge difference on how hot the inside gets. One thing I do is use the key fob to lower the front windows a couple minutes before I get in. Helps a lot and a nice feature.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks Copperkat ( and Gonzo!), I printed that thread out so that I can handle the filter replacement myself when the time comes.

Aside from color of your paint job making a big difference on how much heat your MO is absorbs and radiates on to you when you get into the car after its been parked in the hot sun, I noticed that having one of those front windshield sunshades also makes a big difference.

After I first bought my MO and did not have a sunshade, I noticed that it was like a 120+ degree sauna inside the car after parking the MO in the sun for a few hours. I bought a Murano front windshield subnshade from Courtesy Nissan and use it whenever I'm parked in the hot sun for an extended period.

Low and behold, it actually makes a big difference. The car is not as hot when you get in, thus, it doesn't take as long for the AC to cool the interior of the car off to your desired level. The sunshade is definitely worth the extra bucks (less then $29, I forget).

:2: :4: :2:

·
Registered
758 Posts
HwnMurano

I was curious to see if the sunshade made that much difference. I'm going to get one for both of my vehicles as there is usually something in the garage that keeps me from being able to put the car in. It was in the high 90's here yesterday with high 90's humidity as well. We have not been getting our afternoon showers which normally helps cool it off for a little while. It took about ten minutes for the AC to kick in yesterday to where it was getting comfortable in the car and I made no attempt to turn it down either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been very unhappy with the Air Conditioner in my 04 Murano. I've taken it to the dealer who says it's working properly. The system blows very cold while the compresser is running, but the compresser is cycling all the time. The compressor runs for 30 seconds and then stops for 30 seconds. I guess it's an attempt to pump up the gas milage, but the result is that the air is only medium cold half the time. When Temp is set to 60 or Auto is not enabled that compressor should be hard on! No cycling. Mine never stays on. My dealer says that's how it's supposed to work. I say it's non functional for Arizona! It's only 105 degrees today. I'm not looking forward to when it really gets hot out!

Even at 7 years old, my 1997 Pathfinder A/C is far better then my 04 Murano. I have to control the fan speed manually, but that's a small price to pay for the extra comfort.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts