Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this post replacing the AC Compressor Clutch Coil: A/C stopped working, blowing hot air now, compressor not...

Well the After market producers now sell kits that includes not only the coil, but the Pulley with Bearing as well as the Clutch including new screwed, bolts and snap rings. My AC failed yesterday, again (as you can imagine, always during the height of a heat wave). The clutch was engaging and disengaging properly so I went to a shop to check the freon/refrigerant levels. LEvels were okay,

The shop I took it to found the bearing was seized. They, like all shops quoted a "full replacement of AC compressor" quoting me $600 for a compressor, and $400 for labour saying they could get it done in an hour, blah blah blah. A lot of times "replace compressor" is a default answer that most shops give to maximize time savings and revenue which while I respect, I don't necessarily believe is the best path.

Ordered a kit off ebay with new everything I metnioend above, replaced it using the methods described in pulling off the pulley bearing, and found it was infact seized. I put the new stuff on and AC works like a charm and ice cold, with no noises or anything.

So if you have AC issues with this piece of **** platform, keep in mind how easy it is to perform some of this stuff at home.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
6 Posts
I posted this post replacing the AC Compressor Clutch Coil: A/C stopped working, blowing hot air now, compressor not...

Well the After market producers now sell kits that includes not only the coil, but the Pulley with Bearing as well as the Clutch including new screwed, bolts and snap rings. My AC failed yesterday, again (as you can imagine, always during the height of a heat wave). The clutch was engaging and disengaging properly so I went to a shop to check the freon/refrigerant levels. LEvels were okay,

The shop I took it to found the bearing was seized. They, like all shops quoted a "full replacement of AC compressor" quoting me $600 for a compressor, and $400 for labour saying they could get it done in an hour, blah blah blah. A lot of times "replace compressor" is a default answer that most shops give to maximize time savings and revenue which while I respect, I don't necessarily believe is the best path.

Ordered a kit off ebay with new everything I metnioend above, replaced it using the methods described in pulling off the pulley bearing, and found it was infact seized. I put the new stuff on and AC works like a charm and ice cold, with no noises or anything.

So if you have AC issues with this piece of **** platform, keep in mind how easy it is to perform some of this stuff at home.
I'm in the same boat as you now. My '03 Mo stopped blowing out cold air and put 2 small cans of freon to no avail a few weeks ago. Tried the UV dye stop sealant freon for $21 bucks and still no leaks or cold a/c. Took it to a garage shop and he put in another can or so today and A/c got cold but looked under the car and saw a leak from the compressor. Long story short I'm looking for compressors now and the cheapest new I see on Ebay is around $100. Is that good deal for a new one? Thanks. The guy quoted $185 to replace the compressor.

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
$185 for a compressor replacement? That's so cheap I wonder what's wrong with it.

What's the cost to recharge the system after the replacement?

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
All I can say is that sounds awfully low for a compressor replacement and system charge. Be careful, and make sure you get all the parts which were replaced.

Why? Because NAPA gets $290 for their least expensive replacement compressor. Something isn't right.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
My understanding is @antoniobrownjr sees a used compressor he can buy for $100 off of eBay, and a guy says he can install it for $185...

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
My understanding is @antoniobrownjr sees a used compressor he can buy for $100 off of eBay, and a guy says he can install it for $185...
Ah, I missed that!

If he's willing to do the labor and recharge the system for $185 it's still a deal, but if he's a family friend I'd feel better about it.

Whether you feel good about a used compressor for $100 off Ebay is another matter. It would be nice to have some kind of short warranty on it (30-90 days).

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Is it used or new? The mechanic is a family friend so maybe that's why the price is low?
It does appear that it's new, I assumed that because it was so low priced it was used... It's a gamble, but the seller does 'appear' to have a good feedback...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts