Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2012 Murano had a bad air conditioning compressor clutch. I ordered a new clutch and installed it and it kicked in and started blowing cold air yay. But now after she drives for about 20 minutes it stops blowing air out of the vents. I can hear the fan still running but almost nothing comes out. I look under the hood and the pipe is covered in ice and frost all the way to where it enters the firewall. I tried removing the cabin air filter and no luck. If anyone knows what the likely problem is I would love to get this sorted out.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
1,066 Posts
My wife's 2012 Murano had a bad air conditioning compressor clutch. I ordered a new clutch and installed it and it kicked in and started blowing cold air yay. But now after she drives for about 20 minutes it stops blowing air out of the vents. I can hear the fan still running but almost nothing comes out. I look under the hood and the pipe is covered in ice and frost all the way to where it enters the firewall. I tried removing the cabin air filter and no luck. If anyone knows what the likely problem is I would love to get this sorted out.
It could be that the evaporator coil is freezing up because not enough air is moving through it. Were you unable to remove the cabin air filter because it felt stuck? If so, there may be an unusual amount of debris in there (esp. if the filter hasn't been changed in a long time). Try again to get it out and you may need to use a pick or hook to pull it out. Once it's out, check inside with a flashlight. If it's bad. you may have to try to clean it out with a vacuum and crevice attachment. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A freeze up can also be caused by low refrigerant and improper fan operation. Low refrigerant levels make the coils too cold, and a faulty fan prevents air from moving. Faulty thermostats and drainage problems are often causes of a freeze up

·
Super Moderator
8,567 Posts
A freeze up can also be caused by low refrigerant and improper fan operation. Low refrigerant levels make the coils too cold, and a faulty fan prevents air from moving. Faulty thermostats and drainage problems are often causes of a freeze up
This was my first thought. It's also one of the easiest things to correct.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could be that the evaporator coil is freezing up because not enough air is moving through it. Were you unable to remove the cabin air filter because it felt stuck? If so, there may be an unusual amount of debris in there (esp. if the filter hasn't been changed in a long time). Try again to get it out and you may need to use a pick or hook to pull it out. Once it's out, check inside with a flashlight. If it's bad. you may have to try to clean it out with a vacuum and crevice attachment. Let us know what you find.
Sorry I wasn't clear about the air filter. I did remove it. When I said I tried, I meant that I tried it to see if it resolved the problem. It didn't stop it from freezing up. I wonder if there is some other type of filter in the air conditioning line that could be clogged up.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
1,066 Posts
Sorry I wasn't clear about the air filter. I did remove it. When I said I tried, I meant that I tried it to see if it resolved the problem. It didn't stop it from freezing up. I wonder if there is some other type of filter in the air conditioning line that could be clogged up.
Was the filter very dirty or not? And, just so we're clear on the history of this problem--the A/C was functioning perfectly fine before the clutch was replaced, correct? For example, the air blew cold, the heat blew hot, all the fan speeds worked as expected, and no discernable problems with how the system was working?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Evaporator core could have some debris. I would connect the gauges and check the pressures first without them it is hard to make a diagnoses. The valve could be clogged as well it would cause the pipes to freeze because there is restriction in the valve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts