Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Folks,

MOpar has provide me with inspiration to add dual Air Horns to my Mo. I don't think I want to have the horns on the normal steering wheel switch. I am contemplating wiring a dedicated switch somewhere on or near the dash to use them as auxilliarly horns. What type of installs have you guys done or contemplated? The location on top of the bumper just behind the grill is perfect for the horns. I just need to eyeball the exact placement for the compressor. The only thing that is stumping me is where to place the new switch in the cabin.

Any ideas??????????

njmo :confused:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Should have posted in Accessories

Sorry!:8:

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you don't have VDC you could place a switch next to the HID height control. I placed a cutoff switch in this location for my rear sensors. Pretty easy spot to reach. Of course, not the most convenient in an emergency.

·
4,664 Posts
Re: Should have posted in Accessories

njmo said:
Sorry!:8:
Not a problem, already done.

Depending on the delay of your air horns (It has to spin up the compressor and make pressure so they're not instant!) you might want to try them in parallel first.

When I've had them in vehicles, a quick toot would produce the honk from the stock horns instantly, but wouldn't be long enough for the air horns to kick in. So I could still do beeps at people without blasting them.

A long beep would engage them and it would actually sound like two vehicles honking, which really gets attention!!! The stock horns get buried by the air horns.

You could try that first and then if you still decide to do a separate switch, proceed to cut holes to mount a switch, which will not likely be convenient in an horn demanding situation.

Jumping off the stock horns to a relay is a lot less wiring hassle as well.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
If installed in parallel, and the vehicle alarm is tripped, there would be a really strange (and attention grabbing) kind of a sound!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks jaak

Gonna try as you suggest so they will sound with a deliberate press of the steering wheel. Scoped out the bumber area behind the grill as Mopar suggested for the horns and I just need to decide where to put the compressor. Anybody got any ideas or pics?
I am making a bracket to hold both horns and I just need to track down some tubing then I will be set to install.

njmo

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah, or even a simple R-C circuit might do it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Both Wolo and Fiamm compressors are small and fit on the right side of the radiator yoke.I get quick response from a tap with my Wolo's,not a full blast but a nice acknowledgement.

·
Registered
289 Posts
njmo,I don't know how to pm a jpeg, so here it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are Awesome!

Thanks a bunch Mopar! I can't wait to install my horns. The weather has been terrible here in Jersey. Lots of Rain an windy days. I plan to do this is in the next two weeks and I will be sure to let you know the results. Perhaps with Daylight Savings time I will get to it.
Thanks again!!

njmo:2:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Halfway Done!!

OK Folks,

We had a gorgeous day here in Jersey so I decided to let the Kids out in the backyard while I played with the MO's new air horns. Took the grill off an mounted the horns on the metal bumper. Mounted the compressor where MOpar suggested just next to the radiator on the oppossite side of the battery. I was ready to wire her up but discovered the tubing coming off the Y connector is too short. DARN!! It was getting late so I put everything back together and called it a night.

Next step is to purchase about 2 feet of vinyl tubing. Guess I'll check Home depot and then perhaps an auto parts store.

Now as far as the wiring, where did you guys grab the horn signal wire from. The manual shows the OEM horn relay next to the battery. Has anyone grabbed the source from there?

njmo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts