Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woohoo!!!! Finally got my horns installed. I've had them on my workbench for a couple months now, and finally have it done.

I started the process on my own, but just getting access to the metal bumper and the existing horns was too much work (my excuse is that I was too busy with work and house projects).

I paid Magnolia Hi Fi a reasonable price to do it correctly the first time, and I'm very pleased with the results, with the only little issue of the horns being kind of high-pitched, which can easily be changed by getting longer horns (haven't decided if I'll do that or not, but I can easily replace them myself).

My gallery contains pictures of the final result. I'll try to post them inline here:

Compressor Location:

Looking down through the grill at the horn mounts:

Close-up of mounts:

The horns are SLIGHTLY visible if you bend way down and look through the bottom grill, but they're still hidden by the license plate anyway:

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Man aren't they a "Hoot"

I loved mine Ihad the WoLo Italian version. All right Mr. Z lets get going :2: :2: :2: That 3 smiles beacuse I know you will use the 3 trumpet units.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
That looks great! Iguess I have no choice but to do it now. Thanks for the pictures. Now I have a better idea of the install.

·
4,994 Posts
Go zebelkhan!!

Join the ranks of MoPar, ModMo and Corin. Life will never the same. One of the neato things is the way you can do a short toot.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, you have to do a REALLY short toot on mine if you don't want the air horns to sound. I'm pretty impressed with how short the delay is.

They do seem to be slightly quieter when they first start, though, so a quick toot even if they do sound is softer than when you lay on it.

Very nice system, I like it very much. My wife doesn't, but she just doesn't understand... :rolleyes:

The only thing I'm considering changing is to replace the horns themselves to get a lower tone. right now it's a little high pitched. Or I COULD always get another compressor AND deeper horns, and have 4 air horns combined with my 2 OEM horns.... Think the alternator can support that? :p

(that might lead to a divorce, though... :D )

·
4,994 Posts
I had a switch I installed

3 position. Air Horns, Oem Horn or both. The Air Horns alone are way the best. If you want more look at the WOLO 3 trumpet unit. Pep Boys: cheap, loud and neato sound.

·
Registered
281 Posts

·
4,994 Posts
I like the long horn best

Hi MoPAr, glad you are still "Hear" :2:

·
Registered
67 Posts
113 db

I was looking in the Griot's cat. and they have these hella horns (all metal) that are 113db. THe description says that you just replace the horn and leave the wiring the same.. My question is that the factory alarm beeps the horn when you arm it.
1. Anyone know what db the factory horn is?
2. Any suggestions how to wire it so the factorey horn still honks with the alarm, but the replacement goes with the horn?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I split the lead from the horn button comming out of the steering
column and ran it to a new relay for the air horns, That left the alarm
and locking to use the factory horn.

Hi Don!

·
Registered
67 Posts
MOpar said:
I split the lead from the horn button comming out of the steering
column and ran it to a new relay for the air horns, That left the alarm
and locking to use the factory horn.
Umm.. silly question, but wouldn't that be the same as splicing right before the factory horn and "adding" the secondary? how does the alarm only beep the factory horn????

·
4,994 Posts
The Horn button blows the horn

The alarm etc blow the horn. MOPar spliced the horn button wire to a relay that goes to the air horns. The alarm / arming wire still go to the OEM horns the horn button wire no longer does.

He's a clever well thought out boy he is! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Duh... I get it... For some reason I thought a little gremlin was in the car when I hit the alarm button, and pushed the horn.. (poking fun at myself)

I get it... um .... What is the relay for?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Most horns use a relay,there's to much current draw for the button contacts and wiring to handle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
k.....

O.K... in the description of the hella horns that I may be looking at, it says to just replace the factory.. in this case I wouldn't need a relay correct?

·
Registered
281 Posts
True but you may need to use a larger fuse to handle the compressor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts