Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the metal air scoop with a plastic one and are the mounting holes the same?

How about a part number for the plastic one?

·
4,601 Posts
I was thinking of doing mine, but they straightened it, no charge, when I went in for my service today. I didn't mention it, so I guess they know all about that!

·
Registered
747 Posts
ditto quikkik

·
Registered
554 Posts
Here's a picture of the plastic scoop (standard on my 04 Murano). I crawled under there and its pretty rigid plastic that angles up in the rear. I assume that's to direct more flow over the cooling fins for the CVT.

·
Registered
188 Posts
fdonaghy said:
Check out this thread, complete with pictures.

If you've pulled too far into a parking space with a high curb, you'll find out exactly where the air scoop is. Trust us.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=711
I couldn't agree more... K knew where the thingy was, however did not pay attention on parking lot with huge yellow curbs. I pulled way too far-till I heard it breaking. Left half of the scoop is a goner, and is flying in the air. I'm positive now: this thing was made of plastic.
Should I see my dealer right away or I can still drive 1.5K till next oil change? Do you guys now $$$ of this thingy plus labor?
Thank you for input.
p.s. I somehow attached broken half: couple of screws and c-rings worked just fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was at the dealer yesterday and was asking about the plastic scoop again ( parts guy was having a tough time finding the difference on the computer between the 2003 and 2004 part numbers) so I decided since I was in jeans for a change to do some looking at other Muranos on the lot.

silver 2003 parked beside mine on lot ( metal scoop destroyed )
peuter 2003 (metal scoop destroyed )
gold 2003 (metal scoop destroyed ) gold 2004 (plastic scoop shatttered )

Back to the parts guy to advise him about the sorry stte of all scoops on Murano's that showed any evidence of being off the lot
thinking erroniously that he may take the matter to nissan

I must have been dreaming I think he just increased the inventory number for the scoop which costs $79 Canadian

I think I will just modify my metal scoop and perhaps add some toughness and some steel bars which will cause it to rise up over curbs instead of being pushed back

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
this is what happened to our wind scoop when we did some offroading in the murano.

we got it replaced since then. i think it was only like 20 bucks. no biggy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$89 dollars Canadian from the dealer

Think maybe they just bent yours back into shape unless the exchange rate is great where you came from ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
the "air scoop" is there to help in cooling of th cvt as you can see by the cooling fins on the trans oil pan. the cvt runs at extremely high pressure and along with that come extremely high heat. ppl bending them on concrete curbs in parking lots. sounds like some ppl need to learn not to pull in to the parking spot and stop when the car hits the curb. you can see lots of cars with the bumper covers scraped up. it doesn't mean its a problem with the design of the car, more like a problem of the driver pulling in too fast or too far in to the parking spot. best to pay attn. to what you are doing

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well thank you for pointing that out! Maybe you could get a job working for a dealer!

Do you not think that perhaps it is a bone head design to put something so fragile in a first contact area of the under carriage of an SUV ?

On my 2003 the plate that holds the cooling fins this piece of garbage is suposed to direct air towards is not even in direct contact with the pan on the CVT. so Basically what we have is poorly designed air scoop directing air at an even poorer designed set of cooling fins. ( no contact no heat transfer)

If they needed cooling air directed to this area it could have been routed down from the grill where it would not have caused clearance issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts