Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else has same problem??

on my new murano (1 week old) I have a very thin horizontal line protruding in middle of the airbag cover., most of the time you can barely see it - but at times around sunset, you can clearly see a shadow of that line.
it bothers me, but i think it is too minor for the dealer to consider any repairs.
Also, i would not like to see them opening the airbag cover..I am trying to get used to it.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I don't have a line but have some bubbles instead that you can't see unless the light and its angle is just right. I am used to it now but if it bothers you a lot you can ask the dealer to replace the cover. Downside is that they "might" start a rattle or something after they are done working on your dash.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
You can try a seach. Someone else here had a simliar issue on the steering wheel. The dealer replaced it with no issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I would have to live with it. I looked at 2 other muranos and they both had bubbles (not a line) on the irbag cover. Not really bubbles but uneven surfaces which are barely noticable, unless the light angle is correct to notice.

I think that this is caused by the way the airbag is folded under the cover, and to top it up, the rubber material of the cover is probably too elastic for the purpose it is serving.

I would have loved to see more members share their experience, but I would presume not many would notice this.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I can see a faint outline of the airbag on the passenger side above the glove box.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tnx Huskyfan... I almost thought I was imagining things :confused:
I would appreciate if you can describe the line, is it horizontal and how long roughly?
Not that I am happy you have it too...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
zebelkhan said:
I don't have a line but have some bubbles instead that you can't see unless the light and its angle is just right. I am used to it now but if it bothers you a lot you can ask the dealer to replace the cover. Downside is that they "might" start a rattle or something after they are done working on your dash.
I'll second that. Dealer seems to add another rattle whenever they try to fix one. Example - they tightened a window regulator to fix the window ticking but now I get a noise from the same door (as if the door panel isn't on tight, it is sort of crooked). Had the rocking chair TSB performed. Now the seat doesn't rock, but it does creak when cornering.

If you can stand the minor annoyance of the airbag crease, I wouldn't have the dealer touch it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Great. Thanks [friendly sarcasm] for pointing it out...otherwise I might never have really noticed and cared...

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
toofargone said:
Great. Thanks [friendly sacrasm] for pointing it out...otherwise I might never have really noticed and cared...
That is what we are here for....:2:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yeah leave it to a bunch of obsessed Murano owners to nitpick the car to death! :D

Thats what I love about this forum. We have all types and when everyone contributes their own experience, problems get solved.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I am not going to go look.

;)

Homer

Some folks really are Anal Retentive.
Isn't it treatable?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
hfelknor said:

;)

Homer

Some folks really are Anal Retentive.
Isn't it treatable?
Not really a treatment but nonetheless fun to imagine. Apologies in advance for this offtopic post, clearly I haven't had my fill of the Fark yet today.

Attachments

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Airbag cover line

That line is the tear point (Line) for when the airbag deploys. If you could look at a edge view cross section of the dash covering at that location you would get to see that the dash thins down at that point to allow a stress riser to form when the airbag is ignited and starts to swell with gas from the generant. It then fails at that location and the dash essentially allows it to be a flap and get out of the way of the expanding air bag.

Variances in bag folding, packaging, dash molding may at times allow for a very small difference of level across the surface which can reflect the light and allow for the perceiving of this as a "line"

Be thankfull that these "mostly invisible seams' have replaced those terrible looking true covers we had just a few years ago.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Gripperdon for the valuable info.
I thought it was something like that but you just made it all clear for everyone visiting this thread. That's what makes this forum so interesting.

so you think i shouldn't mess around with it and just live with it?

a-I wouldn't want to risk having the dealer make it worse or cause a rattle, as mentioned before on this thread.

b-if you say this is common, what guarantees that the replacement won't be same...and if others have it then i would feel better about having it...(no harm intended, but you know what i mean.)

have you seen any other MO with such a crease?

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I am quiting this forum! You made me see what I had never seen before...the nasty line on the dash....! I though I only had bubbles until yesterday, high sun, took my sunglasses off....and there it was....grrrrrre :3:

·
Registered
67 Posts
zebelkhan said:
I am quiting this forum! You made me see what I had never seen before...the nasty line on the dash....! I though I only had bubbles until yesterday, high sun, took my sunglasses off....and there it was....grrrrrre :3:
Oh, zebelkhan, I feel your pain. But we have to take the bad with the good around here. [Patting, gently] There, there, now... At least the line has a valid purpose in life...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i second your note toofargone... This line does have a purpose, and an important one-saving lives.

GUYS!! I AM SORRY I OPENED YOUR EYES TO THE AIRBAG CREASE, I EXPECTED SUPPORT..NOT A DEPRESSION FORUM:D .
zebelkhan... i share your pain believe me. When I first saw the line I didnt sleep that night, esp that my murano is one week old today! but to be honest, this thread made me feel better about the whole thing. :p
Can you send a picture of your cover?

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
C2SNerves

I would wait and see. It is a big deal IMO to replace the dash cover.

A dash installed by the local dealer with comparatively meager tooling could easily end up looking worse.

Can you post a picture all could comment?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts