Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm gonna install the viper 791 into the murano next week. nothing def, so does anyone have any better suggestions. after seeing the stolen headlights, i thought it best to just be safer. its pretty pricey, but i'm getting the alarm, lcd fob, extra fob, auto start for 545. is that a good deal?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Your going to install it yourself?

I had this same system installed in my (now the wife's) 00 Maxima SE as a Christmas present. It works great and the remote starter is way too cool, especially in these cold days (so the wife tells me).

It took an experienced installer (shop) 6 hours to put it in the Maxima.

You do realize that if you install it yourself, there's NO WARRANTY but if you have a certified shop install it there's a LIFE TIME WARRANTY?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Well it's obviously your vehicle and money, but I only paid $100 for the install through a dealer and now I have a lifetime warranty on the entire system through DEI (Viper's Parent Company).

Just make sure your installer's not probing any wires in your Murano's wiring harness or you may end up with a big, expensive problem.

Nissan has already seen fit to post a TSB (Reference # NTB03-034, issued April 9, 2003) to their dealers warning them to be on the look out for any warning lights that are (may have been) set off by probing to install aftermarket electronics.

They will not fix these warning lights (at least not for free under warranty) if there are any aftermarket electronics installled and or they can find any probe marks on the wiring harness (see the TSB).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok. so it turns out the guy who installs them is a DEI certified installer. the only problem is that he's an hour away. i think he does it out of his garage though. he's willing to do it for 545, flat.
now another place, that sauters the wires and is a "reputable" place quoted me $845. man that's $300. what do you guys think?

does anyone else have an improved alarm system on their MO's?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think that price is quite high...I would shop around before I would drop $850 for an alarm.....

·
Registered
719 Posts
$850 is crazy. I paid $499 for the system, $100 for the install, and I think another $20 for the trunk opener mechanism.

Here's DEI's dealer locator page.

There's got to be some one closer to you that's reputable. Hell I live in Wisconsin and I've got 15 dealers within 100 miles.

http://www.directed.com/contact/locator.asp

It is an awesome system, but it's not worth $850 (IMO).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. i found someone who is selling it for cheaper. $449 and an extra $75 for the extra remote. well, that's what he told me over the phone. when i get there it might be a different story. but we'll see. thanks again.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
$800, i can get HID retrofit Done to my Mo..see my other threads

...see my other threads on HID retrofit on MO.

·
101 Posts
RE: remote starters

I read somewhere in one of these forum threads that to install a remote starter in a MO, you have to hide a key (like the valet key) somewhere under the dash or else the car will not start.

The system has to 'see' the microchip embedded in the key before it lets the engine start. I think the installers hid the coded key but cut-off the tip (the part that goes into the key slot) so that if the key was found it could not be used to drive the car away.

Trouble is, you lose a very expensive key AND you no longer have the protection of the microchip in the key. Hopefully the remote starter is part of an alarm system with a built-in ignition cut-off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i hear yah. from what i understand though, is that even with the remote stat, you can't drive away with the car. that the car itself needs the key to be shifted into ignition. i don't know. does anyone have any suggestions.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have a remote start....They do have to install a key or the chip in the dash....Most remote starts have a starter kill and all require the key to be put in the ignition...If I would hop in my car and put my foot on the break without the key in it will shut off....

·
Registered
719 Posts
The chip is typically cut out of your valet key (which I wasn't using anyhow) and placed in a transponder box hidden near enough to the ignition to allow the car to start. I'm not even sure where mine is but it's buried up in the dash somewhere.

The theft issue is resolved by requiring the key to be in the ignition and the key to be turned all the way to the on position before the car will leave P or N.

If you try and shift out of P or N, without the key in and in the on position, the vehicle immediately dies.

This way your not loosing any of the functionality of the security system.

This is how the Viper 791VX functions. I would assume most systems would have similar functionality, but as always, buyer beware!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
anyone heard of the python 880?
i was looking into the different stores, and the one i was going to go, i heard was shady. so i opted for another more "reputable" store, but they don't carry viper, but python. they told me that the 880 is similar to the viper 791.

does anyone have any experience with the python 880?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I have an Excalibur Gold 1600. Installed it myself (Wiring diagrams a must!). It adds passive arming, automatic door lock/unlock, motion sensing. Cost about $75 on ebay. I don't know if the 1600 is a current model. It came off my Trooper.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ordered and installed.

so i finally got the viper 791 with extra transmitter and remote start installed. it took the guy four hours to do it. taking the advice, i went to a more reputable place, and so far so good. i was worried that i would lose the "security" feature of the chip and immobilizer, but the guy explained to me that the transponder with the valet key is only used when the remote start is activated. i'm hoping that this 575 investment will prevent a terrible loss of headlights and other things. thanks again everyone.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
when u say lost of headlight ....

i'm hoping that this 575 investment will prevent a terrible loss of headlights and other things. thanks again everyone.

Will this viper alarm prevent that? Are there sensors at the headlight that will alarm you when someone is tempering with it? (i know this viper is a 2-way-transponder tecnology).

What i learnt from 'malaycobra' (another nissan owner in this forum) is that the thieves just literally cut through the hood and caused body dagame to take the headlight out.

Does this Viper alarm of your choice prevent this?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, the viper has a hood sensor, that if the hood is tampered with it will set off the alarm. it was malaycobra's incident that sent me into a panic to get a better alarm system, seeing that we lived in the same city. i specifically told the installer to make the hood more sensitive b/c of the light issue. i can only trust that he did. now, if the thieves decide to slice right throught the sucker with a ginsu knife that wont rattle the hood, then i guess i'm SOL.
like i said...it might just give me a false sense of security and a much needed remote start.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The Viper 791VX also has a noise/vibration sensor whose sensitivity can be adjusted quite a bit.

Mine is adjusted so that a medium hard slap of your hand anywhere on the vehicle triggers a "warning" alert to whom ever (usually me as I demonstrate it). :4:

A hard slap will set off the full alarm and disable the starter.

No alarm system will prevent theft but with this particular unit, any contact that activates either the warning or the full alarm, sends to the key fob a signal to vibrate or play a tune (like a cell phone) and also show which area of the vehicle is showing the breach / contact on the LCD.

Its a really slick system that has tons of options and sensors that can be added to the system.

Warning however, it's not cheap!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts