Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I was driving along, minding my own business, rocking out to the "80s on 8" when all of a sudden all of my XM presets (6 on A, 6 on B, 6 on C) were reset to the preview channel (1). I could still TUNE to the other channels, and I could reset the preset buttons manually.

Anyone else happen to experience this? Happened right around 5:00pm Pacific Time.

Wondering if it was an XM issue or an issue with my stereo...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Corin said:
So today I was driving along, minding my own business, rocking out to the "80s on 8" when all of a sudden all of my XM presets (6 on A, 6 on B, 6 on C) were reset to the preview channel (1). I could still TUNE to the other channels, and I could reset the preset buttons manually.

Anyone else happen to experience this? Happened right around 5:00pm Pacific Time.

Wondering if it was an XM issue or an issue with my stereo...
That did happen to me when I removed the box in the rear Because the unit locked up. This happended 5x to me so far. I have sirius .The box is under the rear seat. By the sp tire Has your unit ever locked up?

.By locked up I mean the display stays on no signal. and you can not tune.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't had it lock up at all in the 2 weeks that I've had the car. This is the first time it did something unexpected. And I haven't messed with the box at all.

·
4,664 Posts
The memory data for the presets is stored in the sat receiver. Lose power and you lose the presets.

Also, if the receiver reboots, due to a problem, it could lose them at that time as well.

I've never had mine lose the presets, but mine doesn't reboot, it's before that firmware version. I've had it lock up, twice, and I had to power off to reset it. (Twice in 2.5 years isn't bad...)

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jaak said:
The memory data for the presets is stored in the sat receiver. Lose power and you lose the presets.

Also, if the receiver reboots, due to a problem, it could lose them at that time as well.

I've never had mine lose the presets, but mine doesn't reboot, it's before that firmware version. I've had it lock up, twice, and I had to power off to reset it. (Twice in 2.5 years isn't bad...)
Interresting. This happened WHILE I was driving, and WHILE the stereo was playing, so it must have been a reboot. How annoying. Hopefully it won't do it again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
XM Reset

I have had a boombox XM receiver reset itself to the intro station a couple of times, bu have not had a problem with the one in my Murano.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, in the last couple weeks I've had this happen twice more.

So three times in total, all at exactly the same location. Traveling south on the freeway, go under an overpass which drops the signal temporarily, the signal stays off longer than normal, then finally comes back on to the preview station and all preset buttons that were programmed to XM stations now go to XM channel 1.

FM/AM presets are still set properly. I can still tune to XM stations. It's just my presets that are reset.

3 times in the same exact location. I drive that location about 3-4 times per week.

I'm very annoyed. Sure, it doesn't happen THAT often, but I shouldn't have to be re-setting 12 preset.

I'm going to call XM and ask about it, but wanted to see if anyone here had any bright ideas first.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Perhaps a loose connector on the receiver... did you check the harness into the receiver. Might be loose.

·
4,664 Posts
Very strange...

Is it a toll road? Are there any antennas for tracking transport trucks? Does it matter which lane you're in? Is there a bump in the road?

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jaak said:
Very strange...

Is it a toll road? Are there any antennas for tracking transport trucks? Does it matter which lane you're in? Is there a bump in the road?
Normal, smooth, straight road. I doubt it's a connector issue, as that would have caused problems elsewhere.

There might very well be a cell tower or something around there. Just south of Bellevue, so there's all kinds of stuff around there. I don't think there is anything specific to trucks, though.

Not sure if the lane matters. The lane that I was in yesterday when it happened is the one that I'm USUALLY in, but I don't remember specifically which lane I was in before.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Corin said:

Normal, smooth, straight road. I doubt it's a connector issue, as that would have caused problems elsewhere.

So when you lose channels you continuously hear XM without interruption? Odd.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gonzo said:

So when you lose channels you continuously hear XM without interruption? Odd.
No, the signal cuts out going under the overpass, and when it comes back everything is on the preview station.

The signal ALWAYS cuts out when I go under this overpass, but usually comes back quite quickly. These three times it took longer to come back, and lost presets in the process.

·
4,664 Posts
Strange. Very strange.

If it keeps doing it, try moving the gound wire to the other side of the receiver case. If it's RF related, this may impact what's happening. (Grabbing at straws, as nothing straight forward and logical, comes to mind.)

But it's happening in the XM receiver, not in the head unit. It might not hurt to pull the fuse in the engine bay, that supplies power to the radio and the XM receiver, just to clear everything to a default factory condition. If there's some scrambled code somewhere, that could do it. We've seen that once on the forum, with steering wheel controls that refused to work.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Is there a college within a mile or so of this location?

Homer

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The overpass is actually a train track, if that makes any difference...

·
4,664 Posts
No surprise it drops out through that... It's a significant amount of time out of view of the satellite.

Still grabbing at straws... I'm trying to remember what frequency the Train "Hot Box" detectors operate on, but it's fairly low power, and likely to be significantly off frequency. (They're the sensors that measure bearing temperature on the train wheels to ensure one's not about to fry and derail the train. They report to the Engineer with a synthesized voice, the status.)

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
College - often a testing ground for such things as High Speed Internet over Power lines.
This is progressing along with IBM recently signing an agreement with Centerpoint to develop Hardware/software solutions. They will set up a trial in Houston.
BPL is already running this in PA and have for some time..........on a college campus which will be the thrust of their business.
One of the unwanted side effects is a spraying of RFI.

Railroad overpass - hmmmnnnn.
Many people have contracted with rail companys to use their right of ways. No telling what can be going over that.
Level3 Communications runs Internet services over the right of ways in 28 states (Last time I checked. Could be more now). They use the right of way negotiated with Burlington Northern and Union Pacific. This is the only way to get across many areas of the US by wire.

Just searching for ways to be wrong. :D

Homer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts