Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know the Murano was named after a fine blown glass from the town of murano italy. But I also came to find out a hard way that Murano means something else in spanish. I was driving through a fast food restaurant one day ordering food and the drive-thru person asked me what kinda car was that, I said it is the new nissan murano. He immediately began to chuckle. I thought nothing of it. While he was filling my order a couple of his friends from the back came to take a peek as well as chuckled as well. When he came back to give me my food I asked him, why was everyone chuckling about my car. He told me that in spanish Murano means pig. I felt a lil embarassed at the time but know it is kinda humerous. So know all my friends call the MO the pig.

oink oink

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Well congratulations Floaty.
You have probably just started another in a long line of Internet Bull Sh!t car myths.

Murano has no meaning in Spanish.

Pig is either Cerdo or Cuerdo depending on what spanish you are talking about. As you can see, it's not even close.

Nissan spends a lot of time checking these things out. They are a world wide company that fully expects to sell a ton of these cars to Hispanics.
Now it might mean something in Kurdu, but I assure you it means nothing in Spanish. And yes, I can speak spanish.
I can also assure you it means nothing in French.
And german.
And probably Portugese is OK.

Anywhere that Nissan expects to sell these cars, they have checked it out.

Do you think the glassware is known as the Pig ware?

A long time ago there was a myth about the Chevy VEGA.
It was a car that had some real problems.

But anyway the myth went around that Vega meant No Go in Spanish and today there are literally millions of people that believe that.

The fact that it doesn't won't change the perception.

So, years from now when the Murano is known as the Pig, you can smile that engaging toothless smile of yours ;) and say, "I Started that!"

Homer

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
NOVA

VA......... congugated form (present singular, non personal, i think) of the verb "IR" , meaning to go.......

NO........meaning just that

so the "no va" loosely said, can be derived to mean "no go"

i do however, agree that i have never heard of the word meaning anything but glass or stylish glass or the like..........

·
Registered
443 Posts
The nova 'rumor' is not a myth. The translation in this case has negative connotations. But, then again, it could have been called '57 Dom Perignon and would still have been a POS IMO.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well thank you

well thank you for acknowledging that I made up the first falsity of the Murano. Actually as I stated the people at the drive-thru told me this, not me, so I guess I should go back and give them some credit huh, so when the checks start rolling in they get their cut.... =)~

·
Registered
202 Posts
hfelknor said:
you can smile that engaging toothless smile of yours ;) and say, "I Started that!"

Homer
Even with the smilie, that's a bit harsh, Homer.

And I hate to snatch you from the jaws of infamy, floaty, but "Murano = pig" isn't the first Murano falsity. Let's start with the supposed availability of satellite radio in the '03 Muranos and go from there! :3:

Jeff

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jpburk

Thanks for backing me jpburk
yeah that was a lil harsh for someone not to know me call me "toothless" and he was talking about me making falsitys, I LOVE IT....:D

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Oh come on, do you guys suck lemons?

Sorry if you don't know what the smiley meant/.

And jburk it's not up to you to decide what the smiley meant.
You are not the board censor.
I feel sure that Floaty and I could have worked this out without your help.

and Floaty I apologize, I thought you would think it funny.

And there is a small difference between "Falsitys" (New word, but it ain't bad) and "myths".

Yes it is the Nova that is sorta No Go (Actually it is No Goes, but close enuf) but the Vega has also carried that same story.
True for the Nova, not for the Vega.
never owned a Nova but I DID own a Vega. Good little car. Lousy motor (till you got them sleeved and then they were just not too good) Guess I'm still a little sensitive about that one.

Still a little sensitive about BS stories about the Murano too.

Homer

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kelnor

Well i too am sorry i didnt find any humor in your post. Ive only been on here for two days now and I can see that you I and are going to have a great time on this board. (rolling eyes)

oh yeah and falsity is a word...

fal·si·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fôls-t)
n. pl. fal·si·ties
The quality or condition of being false.
Something false; a lie.

Also why cant a fellow MO member stick up for another? The mod isnt the only one that can say something isnt right or not, yes, they have the abilibty to kick someone off, or remove a post, but members as well can voice opinions, this is a democratic poll not a Marxist-Leninist forum. =)

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Oh OK.
I didn't want it like this but so be it.

I'll leave.

The bookmark is gone.

Homer

Oh by the way. Good word.
I'm not up on my 13th century english I will admit.;) <-----smiley

·
Registered
202 Posts
hfelknor said:
Sorry if you don't know what the smilely meant/.

And jburk it's not up to you to decide what the smiley meant.
You are not the board censor.
I knew exactly what the smilie meant.

I can't tell you the number of times I've heard people say some pretty nasty stuff followed by "Just kidding!", as if that takes away the sting of their comments. It doesn't. And neither does a wink and a smile.

I never said I was the board censor. I wouldn't want such a job even if it existed. My comment in no way "censored" you. I simply found your comment unnecessarily harsh, and I called you on it. If your ego is so brittle that you feel you have to take your jacks and go home because someone has taken you to task, well, so be it. It was nice reading most of your posts while you were here, and I hope you decide at some point to return.

Jeff

·
5,268 Posts
Was in Colombia, South America recently. Spanish speaking country. While driving in a cab with my coworker (local) we talked about cars. I said i had Nissan Murano. It happen we were passing Nissan dealer and there it was, prominent on the display: Nissan Murano! When the cab driver and my colleague saw it they went: wow! what a beautiful car!

There was no comments about "pig" what so ever. Now I am known as a Murano lover! And I love it! everybody respects this car out there!

·
4,664 Posts
Wow... All this, and no one caught the fact that it's the island of Murano, not the town...

Anyway, they could have called it a pig and I'd still love it..

·
4,664 Posts
Oh, yeah, did someone say SAT wasn't available? Mine works fine...:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently bought a Murano and speak spanish...have all of my life. Although it is true that "Murano" does not mean "pig" in spanish, the word "marano" does exist in the spanish language and it does refer to a pig. It would be the equivalant of calling someone a "pig". When I first heard that Nissan was coming out with the Murano the word "marano" certainly came to mind, as it has to many others I know that know and speak spanish. I would have prefered Z50. Isn't that what it's called in Canada? :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks

Thanks for the backing. I dont speak spanish so I wouldnt know for sure, all i know is what they told me and also that i get snickered at everytime i go through the drive-thru there. Since everyone made me look so bad and like I was lying and made this up , I asked my friend who spoke spanish fluently and I asked him and he said too it meant pig. It wasnt the dictionary way of saying it ( cerdo ), but it was like a slang kinda. I mean do we people who use english say literal dictionary terms for everything, nope... so I assume spanish speaking people dont as well.

VZ2003 said:
I recently bought a Murano and speak spanish...have all of my life. Although it is true that "Murano" does not mean "pig" in spanish, the word "marano" does exist in the spanish language and it does refer to a pig. It would be the equivalant of calling someone a "pig". When I first heard that Nissan was coming out with the Murano the word "marano" certainly came to mind, as it has to many others I know that know and speak spanish. I would have prefered Z50. Isn't that what it's called in Canada? :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
VZ2003 said:
I would have prefered Z50. Isn't that what it's called in Canada? :D
First time I heard that. How about some Japanese Nissan names.
Sylvia
Fairlady
Bluebird

Hey, is that the new 350Z? Nope, that's my custom imported FairladyZ :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts