1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think they'd be stolen in less than a week. Check out Smart Tire's products at

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/smartire/smartire_all.jsp

I've had this system (well the first generation) installed on my 00 Maxima SE for several years and I like it a lot. It's significantly better than the one we get with the Murano as it can provide air pressure, air temp and alarms that are user adjuctable for both under and over inflation.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Bought it

I just ordered it tell you how it is soon.

·
5,100 Posts
It is in and works just fine!!! Advantage Pressure Pro, even talked to them on the phone very helpful.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I personally do not think its worth it to even have a TPMS. I kind of wish Nissan made it an option not to equip it with the VDC package.

The way I see it, its a system for people who do not really maintain their cars - you gotta really neglect the car to let the tires run down so low that an alarm is needed to remind you to check the tires. I check my tire pressures once a month, its not asking much to spend 5 minutes once a month on something that has such a large effect on fuel economy and handling. If you want an extra margin of safety, just inflate it a little above spec - Nissan recommends 33PSI F/R - since the Murano has a front weight bias I run 37F/34R. The stock Goodyears are a bit soft, so it seems a good balance to me.

A digital tire guage would be a better investment - save the money towards buying one of those portable jump starters with a built in air compressor, so you can inflate your tires at home.

Yeah, I know, I'm a stickler for the old methods...

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Eric L. said:
I personally do not think its worth it to even have a TPMS. I kind of wish Nissan made it an option not to equip it with the VDC package.

The way I see it, its a system for people who do not really maintain their cars - you gotta really neglect the car to let the tires run down so low that an alarm is needed to remind you to check the tires.
IMO, those who maintain their vehicles seldom need gadgets of this type. These people can also usually tell a low tire pressure from the way the car handles and will fix the problem right away. But not all drivers are created equal. You will be surprised at the number of people who drive their cars with an almost flat tire and not even know it, especially when it happens during a long drive. These systems are geared to assist them with safer driving.

OTOH, some people like me just like gadgets! If it does not take away from the car and I can afford it, I will get it just so that I have it. Call me crazy but it makes me happy!

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
zebelkhan said:
OTOH, some people like me just like gadgets! If it does not take away from the car and I can afford it, I will get it just so that I have it. Call me crazy but it makes me happy!
I fit into this category as well...
do I need NAV....no.
Do I need TPMS...no.
Do I need a sunroof...no.
Do I need HIDs....no.
Do I have all of them....YES! :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I can see how the TPMS would be a useful gadget to some people - I use it occasionally to see how much my tire pressure goes up after the tires warm up. Might be genuinely useful for racing on the track. However, among all the features on the Murano, I'd rather have the moonroof, HID, VDC, and NAV over the TPMS anyday.

The US government is going to require TPMS be standard on every car by 2007 or 2008 (or something like that). I'd rather have them require something more useful like ABS or side curtain airbags.

·
5,100 Posts
I like having things that enhance the experience of the vehicle. So I have Nav and very need it, I have Sat radio and never need it I have custom Ipo and never need it, etc. etc. etc.

I also like a soft ride and keep the pressure on the low end so I have less margin before it is a too low inflation pressure. It is also interesting to note the great changes in pressure as I drive thru the desert.

Finally my wife who ocassionally drives the MO would never check tire pressure and so it is nice for her.

I don't need most of what I have, but I like it so i have it. That includes the MO itself. :D

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lets get back to the real topic...

Bought it
I just ordered it tell you how it is soon.
Gripperdon, please update us on how the kit goes: quality, acuracy etc. I know that a forum member said this TPMS is very prone to be stolen because it seats outside instead of like tirerack's TPMS (see above link). What i am gonna do is wait until you have it for a month or two. If none of the sensor is stolen (which mean that the sensors does not scream "please steal me"), then i will get this kit ;)

PS:
As long as my gf keeps buying those gucci bags and versace dress, buying things like TPMS for the murano is "justified". :2:

·
5,100 Posts
Ok, so far it works as advertised, the pressure reads in whole psi not tenths or 1/2psi but it seems to agree very well with my "accutire tenth digital hand unit", in other words it rounds off correctly. I am now in the process of making a balance adjustment to the chrome rims, not sure it needs it but will do it anyway. the vehicle is new so I am not doing any 100mph runs yet.

Additionallly I live in a gated community in Scottsdale AZ and the MO is garaged, so theft has not crossed my mind, let you know if someone steals them in the church parking lot or at the shopping center. HA HA Don Currently Advantage Pressure Pro is offering a $100 discount, quick delivery and the quality seems just fine. I mounted mine just inside the center storage lid so I don't have it exposed all the time.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I have the factory system, so I wouldn't be a buyer. I can see a real advantage to the external transmitters though:

1. If you have five full size tires that you rotate, and/or
2. If you have snow tires on separate wheels.

The system would be useable 100% of the time.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
GripperDon

How are the transmitters powered? Are the batteries replacable? Could not tell from their web site. Thanks

·
5,100 Posts
Lithium battery inside each transmitter, life will depend on frequency of interrigation. You can press the control panel buttions and ask or place a magnet near the transmitter to send the pressure to the display. Life estimated at 3/7 years depending on number of times it is asked. There are two levels of automatic alarm, see web site. Send them back for a new battery, I don't know the cost. But you can ask then questions at the site and they respond promptly.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does the transmitter look almost alike with the regular tire

presure valve cover? IF yes, it may not be obvious to thieves as 'expensive' stuff and thus less prone to be stolen..

I went to the manufacturer website and saw the pic, but if you can take a picture of the transmitter side by side with the regular valve cover, i will really appreciate it. ;). Thanks

·
5,100 Posts
It looks just like the website pic, about the diameter of a quarter and a little shorter. It definately does not look like a vale stem cap. I did not have the TPMS available from the factory when i wanted the color i wanted. I also like the Idea that I can do with it as i wish, location, setting point for alarm etc. It may or may not fit your needs. Very nice if you tow a trailer, boat, jet skis etc. as it will show you those also. Grip. :D

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sweett....

I am personally will try to attach it behind (at the back) of the sun visor, driver side...but to do this, i need to do hard wiring to tap for power.

·
5,100 Posts
I looked at that but did not want to cover up the vanity mirror, You probably mean mounted on the headliner behind the visor, did you ? At least there is powere in the visor.

Since it beeps if you have a problem mine was was a quick hidden installation for me. I can always move it.

One place you might look at is the space between the sunroof and the map lights, easy power and it fits neatly. I wish it was a little better looking.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gripperdon.. yes, that's what i mean, back of the sun visor..

but you are right, i dont want it to cover the vanity mirror :rolleyes: <my GF would hate it so bad when she drives the MO hehehe>
I dont have sunroof. So i can not install it between the map light and sunroof per your sugestion. Thanks for the input though....

Another place that i can think of is next on the flat surface of the wall where your knees/lower leg rest on while driving. See this thread on where RCSKI mounted the DVD player in his MO, this is the spot i am refering to, but on driver's side:
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2341&highlight=dvd

BTY, I have a tire pres. gauge in the center console storage, exactly at the same spot as yours :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts