Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 09 sl awd i bought it used as is in 2019 my brake and battery light started coming on and going off my brother works at a Goodyear said it was going intermittent i took it to autozone they tolde both passed there test well it went out on May 15th 21 left sitting with my 3yr old lucky I felt it go and was able to pull off the road after change I drove it to work next day and to pay a bill after work left me sitting again noticed this time battery was leaking so I replaced that drove for a day and was dead alt wasn't charging took the alt off again and back to parts store it instantly failed on the machine they had one on shelf are them test it 4 times before I walked out with it drove it 3 days now ND brake amd battery light started coming on again so now I'm confused is the 2nd alt they gave me going intermittent too?

·
Super Moderator
1,356 Posts
Rebuilt alternators have the highest failure rate of any remanufactured auto part. Personally, on one car, I went thru 4 alternators in a month, two dead out of the box. Fortunately, the alternator only took 15 minutes to change out.

Because the Murano's alternator is so difficult to replace, meaning more labor costs, that I will only replace the Murano's alternator with a new OEM one. Period, no if's ands or buts.

Yup, expensive as all heck, but you can get the price down by shopping on the internet, and having a local mechanic install it.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have a 09 sl awd i bought it used as is in 2019 my brake and battery light started coming on and going off my brother works at a Goodyear said it was going intermittent i took it to autozone they tolde both passed there test well it went out on May 15th 21 left sitting with my 3yr old lucky I felt it go and was able to pull off the road after change I drove it to work next day and to pay a bill after work left me sitting again noticed this time battery was leaking so I replaced that drove for a day and was dead alt wasn't charging took the alt off again and back to parts store it instantly failed on the machine they had one on shelf are them test it 4 times before I walked out with it drove it 3 days now ND brake amd battery light started coming on again so now I'm confused is the 2nd alt they gave me going intermittent too?
Try not to post on multiple threads for the same problem.

Just to add a couple of other suggestions given that it sounds like your brother is a mechanic--ask him to check the cables and connections to the battery for excessive corrosion, particularly the battery ground cable (esp. if you live in the Rust Belt). And, also ask him do voltage drop tests on both the positive and negative sides of the charging system circuit to make sure there isn't unexpected resistance in those wires.

Good luck and be sure to post back what you eventually find out so it helps others with the same problem.

Reactions: Pilgrim

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Getting a bad batch of alternator from auto parts store is not uncommon. It happens from time to time. However, using a battery that died with the alternator could have caused the AZ alternators to fail on both instances. You want to make sure your battery is fully charged ( since your new battery died on the first alt replacement) so as not to strain the alternator. I would even get the battery tested also. On top of the cable/wiring check mentioned above. You may want to get a replacement alternator from a different AZ store. Or if you are still within the full refund window, get an alternator from a different place altogether.

I recently replaced my 2004 alternator with Autozone alternator about 2 months ago. I was planning to rebuild it but we needed to get the car running all of a sudden even though it was sitting outside our house for months. Anyway, its been running fine since. I also put in a new battery from Costco the same time I installed the alternator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The battery was fully charged before I hooked up the 2nd replacement alt. I've checked for corrosion there is none the cables are tight I checked wiring harness before installing 2nd replacement

1 - 5 of 5 Posts