Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 Murano had it's first alternator failure at 6,000 miles (01/04) and it just had it's second failure at 24,000 miles (5/05). After speaking w/ the dealer and Nissan Headquarters they do not give me any indication that they will fix this again after my warranty is up. Thay suggest I spend more money to buy an extended warranty. I hate to sell it but I may have to.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Well you've got some time before the warranty is over. Perhaps you convience Nissan USA to put in a new alternator and not a rebuilt one if/when it happens again. Odds are pretty good that you will never have another failure for 100,000 miles. :4:

·
Registered
81 Posts
if you dont mind me asking what are some symptoms you experience when your alternator fails?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The classic "Early Warning" symptom is that the Brake and the Battery lights come on.
You then have "maybe" 10-15 miles to get it to the dealer or whomever.
At that time the car stops. The battery will be at zero.
And it doesn't care if you are in a potentialy difficult place. It stops. Now.
Sometimes (apparently) the battery is fried.

Nissan's attitude sucks.

I had a "similiar" situation with my Miata.
On the Miata forum, many failures of the engine were traced to a bad milling for the bearing race of the crankshaft. It affected hundreds and perhaps thousands of engines......but not all.
If and when the engine went, it cratered.
I had bought a brand new Miata and did not want to buy a new engine on a 3 yr old Miata (To make matters worse, the car would have only had maybe 20K on it as it was a garage queen)
Miata steadfastly refused to offer an extended warranty and so I sold my beloved Miata.
Good car. Crappy car company.

Deja Vu.
Good car. Crappy car company.

They think YOU should supply the extended warranty?
I think THEY should. Why should somebody have to pay <>$750 for a repair on an alternator that is a known problem?

Homer

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Stacey, dont forget to file a complain with NHTSA...

even for the second time, it counts...

Do mention that you experience a 2nd failure!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Stacey said:
My 2003 Murano had it's first alternator failure at 6,000 miles (01/04) and it just had it's second failure at 24,000 miles (5/05). After speaking w/ the dealer and Nissan Headquarters they do not give me any indication that they will fix this again after my warranty is up. Thay suggest I spend more money to buy an extended warranty. I hate to sell it but I may have to.
Stacey, sorry to hear about your alternator failures. What warranty did they give you on the replacement(s)? (I forgot to ask when I got mine.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I put the question to service advisor when I had alternator replaced at ~ 31,000 - he indicated 12,000 mile warranty on the replacement.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thanks J. I guess that puts Stacey's warranty still at the original 36,000 mile mark.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Of course, if there is another failure within another 31K, I will be squawking to Nissan, with multiple references to the NHTSA and this board's failure list.

It won't be pretty and it won't be quiet...:)...!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same issue with my 09 i bought it used as is in 2019 my brake and battery light started coming on and going off my brother works at a Goodyear said it was going intermittent i took it to autozone they tolde both passed there test well it went out on May 15th 21 left sitting with my 3yr old lucky I felt it go and was able to pull off the road after change I drove it to work next day and to pay a bill after work left me sitting again noticed this time battery was leaking so I replaced that drove for a day and was dead alt wasn't charging took the alt off again and back to parts store it instantly failed on the machine they had one on shelf are them test it 4 times before I walked out with it drove it 3 days now ND brake amd battery light started coming on again so now I'm confused is the 2nd alt they gave me going intermittent too?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Whew, that's a lot to say in one breath...

Unfortunately, it's not at all unusual to receive a string of bad aftermarket rebuilt alternators... The good thing is they are a lot less expensive than a new Nissan alternators.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts