Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Murano had it's first alternator failure at 6,000 miles (01/04) and it just had it's second failure at 24,000 miles (5/05). After speaking w/ the dealer and Nissan Headquarters they do not give me any indication that they will fix this again after my warranty is up. Thay suggest I spend more money to buy an extended warranty. I hate to sell it but I may have to.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Well you've got some time before the warranty is over. Perhaps you convience Nissan USA to put in a new alternator and not a rebuilt one if/when it happens again. Odds are pretty good that you will never have another failure for 100,000 miles. :4:

·
Registered
94 Posts
if you dont mind me asking what are some symptoms you experience when your alternator fails?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
The classic "Early Warning" symptom is that the Brake and the Battery lights come on.
You then have "maybe" 10-15 miles to get it to the dealer or whomever.
At that time the car stops. The battery will be at zero.
And it doesn't care if you are in a potentialy difficult place. It stops. Now.
Sometimes (apparently) the battery is fried.

Nissan's attitude sucks.

I had a "similiar" situation with my Miata.
On the Miata forum, many failures of the engine were traced to a bad milling for the bearing race of the crankshaft. It affected hundreds and perhaps thousands of engines......but not all.
If and when the engine went, it cratered.
I had bought a brand new Miata and did not want to buy a new engine on a 3 yr old Miata (To make matters worse, the car would have only had maybe 20K on it as it was a garage queen)
Miata steadfastly refused to offer an extended warranty and so I sold my beloved Miata.
Good car. Crappy car company.

Deja Vu.
Good car. Crappy car company.

They think YOU should supply the extended warranty?
I think THEY should. Why should somebody have to pay <>$750 for a repair on an alternator that is a known problem?

Homer

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Stacey, dont forget to file a complain with NHTSA...

even for the second time, it counts...

Do mention that you experience a 2nd failure!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Stacey said:
My 2003 Murano had it's first alternator failure at 6,000 miles (01/04) and it just had it's second failure at 24,000 miles (5/05). After speaking w/ the dealer and Nissan Headquarters they do not give me any indication that they will fix this again after my warranty is up. Thay suggest I spend more money to buy an extended warranty. I hate to sell it but I may have to.
Stacey, sorry to hear about your alternator failures. What warranty did they give you on the replacement(s)? (I forgot to ask when I got mine.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I put the question to service advisor when I had alternator replaced at ~ 31,000 - he indicated 12,000 mile warranty on the replacement.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thanks J. I guess that puts Stacey's warranty still at the original 36,000 mile mark.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Of course, if there is another failure within another 31K, I will be squawking to Nissan, with multiple references to the NHTSA and this board's failure list.

It won't be pretty and it won't be quiet...:)...!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts