Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share a heads up....

My alternator recall was performed earlier in the year. I guess they didn't tighten the nut on the alternator pulley (also called A/C pulley). So now a few months later, the bolt got loose on the freeway and the pulley came out a couple of seconds after that. Initially, there were two clunking sounds from the front end (guess from the bolt and pulley coming off) then a constant rattle while until I pulled over and shutoff the engine.

Next time when you go in for service, ask them to check it and make sure it is tight.... or you could be stuck..... I was stuck in the middle of holiday traffic from Vegas to LA. not fun.....

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Thans for the heads-up, and sorry to hear about your trouble. I guess the broken alternator brackets and now this bolt issue points to the fact that maybe because of the tight space there, the techs are not able to perform the job too well. I will have mine checked out in the next oil change.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I think the design lends itself to these types of problems. I noticed when I was changing my wife's sentra belts that you had to loosen that bolt. I went huh? Very cheap design, and, it is a very old one at that. Why not have a spring loaded belt tensioner pulley like about a billion GM's out there that NEVER have problems with that. Takes about 1 minute to change the belt as well---plus, the tension is exact, no matter the temp or the age of the belt. Rigid belt tension adjustments are just plain silly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts