Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if I can be refused the alternator recall because I have aftermarket electronics? I'll be calling the dealer soon to find out their take on this, but I'm trying to get more information first.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:
Does anyone know if I can be refused the alternator recall because I have aftermarket electronics? I'll be calling the dealer soon to find out their take on this, but I'm trying to get more information first.
The cause of alternator failure is wire fatigue due to movement of engine. Has nothing to do with electronics you may have in the car so I would say no. It should not be grounds for refusing the alternator recall.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Think of it this way:

They put a defective part in your vehicle from the beginning. So regarless of what you do, they have to replace that part with a "safe" one.

Now, if you tried to take it in BEFORE the recall was announced (or maybe even now, before you have your personal letter) they might refuse to fix it under warrantee because they could claim that your stuff screwed it up.

But with a recall, they have to replace it if the part number is indeed the old part that is involved in the recall. Whether you damaged it or not, it's still an usafe part that they need to replace.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Corin said:
Think of it this way:

They put a defective part in your vehicle from the beginning. So regarless of what you do, they have to replace that part with a "safe" one.

Now, if you tried to take it in BEFORE the recall was announced (or maybe even now, before you have your personal letter) they might refuse to fix it under warrantee because they could claim that your stuff screwed it up.

But with a recall, they have to replace it if the part number is indeed the old part that is involved in the recall. Whether you damaged it or not, it's still an usafe part that they need to replace.
That's good news. I'll be waiting for the letter, since it hasn't failed yet, but I hope I get the letter before it does fail, as it's way beyond warranty at this point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts