Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I should have left well enough alone and not tried to fix something that wasn't broken. At any rate, I had the alternator recall done yesterday. After I got the vehicle into my garage from the 15 minute drive home, my wife said it smells like something is burning or burnt.
I lifted the hood, and the smell, an electrical burning smell, was stronger. Is this a normal occurance after the alternator is replaced? Is there some sort of coating that has to burn off or something like that? I plan to contact my SM this morning.

If there is anyone who has had the alternator recall and a similar experience with the burning smell, please let me know.

Thanks!

·
5,244 Posts
I do not think it is normal. At least I did not have the problem you described.
Actually, if I did not know the alternator was replaced I would not even notice. And this is how is should be. Take it back to the dealer. They need to at least look at is. Something is not right.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
There was no smell here either. The alternator is very close to the exhaust manifold and it is possible something is making contact with it. I would have it chceked.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Have it checked for sure... it is not normal. Obviously something they did or failed at the same time... I would be the first.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The alternator replacement also involves draining and refilling the coolant. Its possible they spilled some and it splashed aroudn the engine bay, and what you are smelling is the coolant burning off the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I talked with the SM about this and decided that since the alternator seems fine for now, we will wait a week to see if the smell subsides. If not, I will take it back in.

On a more positive note, I finally got my loose shifter knob replaced. I told the SM that we weren't seeing eye to eye on this (he claimed there was no problem when he tested it) so he got his manager involved. The manager gave the go-ahead to replace the shifter knob and now it is as good as new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts