Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the alternator recall done. I haven't been driving the MO much lately, but just took a road trip from PA to NC. On the way down, the outside temp jumped up to about 80, so I turned the air conditioner on and no dice, she didn't work, all I got was warm air even with the inside temps set to 60, the lowest setting.

Just wondering if there's a reasonably good chance that they might have fubared something while doing the alternator change out, though I am not sure how or what the procedure was that they used? *****ed out my SM by cell phone on the way down, and he says that the air conditioner couldn't have been affected by the alternator replacement.

I do notice a drop in rpms when I push the A/C button, but don't hear the compressor kick in and no condensation is produced.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
They probably did not reconnect the harness to the AC compressor, since it had to be dropped to replace the alternator.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Here's a pic of the connector, so you can reattach it yourself and save yourself a trip to the dealer for a 30 second fix.

CORRECTION: its the wrong picture....check further posts below for the correct one.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
elliotgb-

Bring it back to the dealer and make it perfectly clear that the A/C worked perfectly before they had to remove components to replace the alternator.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
njjoe said:
elliotgb-

Bring it back to the dealer and make it perfectly clear that the A/C worked perfectly before they had to remove components to replace the alternator.

-njjoe
Ye, and they will tell you "it was your imagination" or "you were lucky"......eh Nissan and their dealers......I've got to cool down....

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Kris said:

Ye, and they will tell you "it was your imagination" or "you were lucky"......eh Nissan and their dealers......I've got to cool down....
Kris-

Just keep reminding yourself that the Nissan customer support personnel are your friends, they are there to help you, they are very competent and knowledgeable of the products they support, and that they truly care about your well-being. :bsflag:

There, now don't you feel better already? I'm glad I could help.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
Maybe, I just finished a letter to Mr. Nissan Consumer Affairs. We will see what happens. I know only one thing - the problem is progressively getting worse, the car is going to break down, it is only a matter of time. I just hope it will not happen during my vacations. If it does the dealer who diagnosed the lack of a problem will hear and feel it.....and that's a promise.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eric

I can't tell by looking at the diagram exactly where in the engine compartment the alternator is. Is it on the battery side (most obvious) I suppose, or the opposite side of the engine compartment? Top half or bottom? What component is closest to the alternator itself?

Pardon my ignorance!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
elliotgb said:
Eric

I can't tell by looking at the diagram exactly where in the engine compartment the alternator is. Is it on the battery side (most obvious) I suppose, or the opposite side of the engine compartment? Top half or bottom? What component is closest to the alternator itself?

Pardon my ignorance!
Thanks!
It is on the side with the windshield washer reservoir (i.e. passenger side). If you look at the picture, you can make out the oil dipstick handle on the top right. The alternator (looking from the front of the car into the engine) is down and to the left.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eric

Thanks again, I found the alternator. If that connection is on the topmost part of the alternator, then it is connected. I can't see very well down the inside of the engine compartment even with a flashlight, though, but I do see a connected wire.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
elliotgb said:
Eric

Thanks again, I found the alternator. If that connection is on the topmost part of the alternator, then it is connected. I can't see very well down the inside of the engine compartment even with a flashlight, though, but I do see a connected wire.
OH STUPID ME, I sent you the wrong picture. I meant to send you a picture of the compressor connector, not the alternator connector.

Hold on.....

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Here you go, looks like the connector is on the top of the compressor (which is below the alternator, might be a tough reach).

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eric

Thanks again!
If I can at least see underneath that something is disconnected, whether I can reach it or not, this should be valuable info if the dealership tries to tell me my A/C is shot or tries to give me some inane reason why it doesn't work.

Much thanks!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just found this post over on the FA forums:

I didn't notice until a couple of weeks ago, but the air conditioner was not cooling my Mo. It blew just fine. My husband said that the factory probably forgot to put in freon. I dropped it off last night. By 9:00 a.m., the service technician called to say that the problem was fixed. When asked, he said that the line to the air conditioner wasn't connected. Could this unattached hose have caused inadvertent damage anywhere else?

Response was: The A/C compressor may have not been plugged in all the way.

If the Alternator has been replacecd recently the tech may have forgotten it or not fully seated the connector.

I suppose it might be wise to check the A/C after the recall is done, just to be sure. I wish I had known ahead of time!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
elliotgb said:
I just found this post over on the FA forums:

I didn't notice until a couple of weeks ago, but the air conditioner was not cooling my Mo. It blew just fine. My husband said that the factory probably forgot to put in freon. I dropped it off last night. By 9:00 a.m., the service technician called to say that the problem was fixed. When asked, he said that the line to the air conditioner wasn't connected. Could this unattached hose have caused inadvertent damage anywhere else?

Response was: The A/C compressor may have not been plugged in all the way.

If the Alternator has been replacecd recently the tech may have forgotten it or not fully seated the connector.

I suppose it might be wise to check the A/C after the recall is done, just to be sure. I wish I had known ahead of time!
If they did not connect the line, the refridgerant (i.e. R134a ) would have leaked out and they would have to recharge it after hooking the hose back up. If it was just the electrical connector, then no recharge necessary.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Car just shut off

I was driving and car just shut off. I went to restart it and no power anywhere.I waited a minute and it started up so I went to drive and it barely drove, I barely could move. Pushing gas did nothing it rolled enough to get me home I was a block away. I called advanced and told them what was going on and they said it's probably the alternator. Any advice? It is an 05 sl murano. I called Nissan and service isn't open till Monday and today is Saturday. I'm screwed with no idea. Please help!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts