Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Murano owners,

I recently received the Murano alternator recall campaign as most of you already did. I booked an appointment with Nissan and they did an inspection. They found out that my alternator DOES NOT qualify/required to be replaced. The service guy's explanation was that "the computer won't let him." Giving me such a crappy explanation was not acceptable, so I went on this forum and did some background reading.

According to Jim C, this recall campaign is only for those that have not had their alternator failed/replaced before. My alternator failed back in Nov 2004.

I went back and talk to their technican (not the same service guy) and his explanation was that the alternator replacement part (23100-9Y500RE) that I got back in Nov 2004 was already a re-manufactured one (hence the RE at the end as opposed to Jim C who said ER) so it was not necessary to do the replacement. The fact that he said that the 2 alternators are the same seems very skeptical to me since my alternator (23100-9Y500RE) does not match 2310M-CN10AR. If they are the same, why do they need 2 part #s. At the same time, the replacement was done quite awhile back so I am thinking that 23100-9Y500RE is different and not as updated as the 2310M-CN10AR.

Do you think Nissan avoided or mistaken me for this recall campaign? If so, should I call 1-800-nissan1?

Thanks
-FX

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
You would still probably get the same answer but I would call Nissan direrctly anyway. I suppose it is possible that the replacement alternator you got back in November was in fact a corrected alternator because some of the 05 Muranos manufactured in that period did not qualify for recall either.

BTW, this recall campaign is for any Murano that has a "bad" alternator on it, be it the original, or one that dealer installed after it failed the first, second, or third time. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I will call nissan just to make sure. The number on the recall letter leads to a voice recording where you have to leave a msg. I think I should call 1-800-nissan1.

What the nissan techican stressed is that the alternator was re-manufactured. Basically, according to them "re-manufactured" = the problem is fixed. I just want to make sure that the "re-manufactured" alternator that I got is up-to-date and is exactly the same as the 2310M-CN10AR, which I have doubts if that is the truth.

-FX

·
Registered
844 Posts
Had my alternator check out and was informed that the one they replaced in June of 04 was already a improved alternator and therefore does not need to be replaced. The replacement part was # 23100-CN100.

While I had it there they freed up my rear seat cup holder for no charge as it would not open. Great servive again from this Dealer.:29: :29:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are so many different alternator model numbers for the Murano 2003-2005. Jeez, I have a feeling that they won't replace mine since it has already replaced back in Nov 2004. I haven't gotten around to call them yet since I don't get back until 5pm PST. But tomorrow, I'll call them to see whats up.

Keep you posted tomorrow.
-FX

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. I just got off the phone with the Nissan Canada Consumers. The phone conversation was pretty much useless. I called twice so I can talk to a different person but with the same result - "Please contact the your local Nissan Service" but I told him that my alternator part # doesn't match the one show in here the alternator recall campaign procedure, and they won't replace my alternator.

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2005/NTB05-059.htm

Then, I asked do you have any technicans I can talk to and ask for confirmation/second source. He said "unfortunately, no you will have to contact your local service dealer." Well, [email protected] thats the same and only source I got.

:25: :banghead:

·
Registered
563 Posts
FreeStylerX - I think you need to re-read some of my posts. In summary, the part number 2310M-CN10AR is only for those vehicles undergoing replacement of alternators as part of the recall. These must have a separate part number as NHTSA (and I suspect Transport Canada as well) requires that manufacturers conducting a recall provide a quarterly report to the Agency on the progress of the recall.

Previous alternators that had been replaced under warranty MAY have had the redesigned alternator used as the replacement. That's "MAY" have. Early replacements were simply swapped out with the same alternator - hence some cases of multiple failure. It was not until sometime in 2004 that Nissan had the alternator supplier redesign the alternator to be more robust. Those began appearing in dealers in early 2005. In order to determine whether you have the redesigned alternator, you need to look at MORE than the Nissan part number. If possible, check the Hitachi part number (Hitachi being one of the suppliers of redesigned alternators). If the HITACHI part number is LR1110-723ER, you have the upgraded alternator.

Of course, this is only part of the story as I have been able to discern from friends inside Nissan corporate. Hope that is more helpful to you. Worse comes to worst, have your dealer note on the paperwork for your service that then conducted the inspection pursuant to the recall (there's a specific number assigned to this recall - can't remember it off hand, but its posted in another thread). Have them also note that the part number was OUTSIDE the recall scope. That way, if you have any future problems that should have been addressed by the recall, you have written proof that the dealer said the car was fine otherwise.

Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the quick reply Jim C.

I got the paperwork from Nissan Service saying that they did the inspection and no replacement alternator needed. So, if anything happens (I pray that nothing happens) and they indeed made a mistake on my alternator recall I will have some prove.

As far as asking for the 2nd confirmation on whether or not my alternator requires a replacement. I will not get an answer from Nissan. I will probably get an answer from Murano owners here instead. So to all Murano owners with alternator (23100-9Y500RE), please post here if a replacement was needed.

And Jim C, I do know that the Hitachi LR1110-723ER is a redesigned one which doesn't need replacement. And so are 23100-CN100R, 2310M-CN10AR, LR1110-723SR. The link to this Recall Campaign procedure can be found here.

Note the words "ALTERNATOR WITH PART NUMBERS ON THE LABELS THAT DO NOT MATCH THE ABOVE EXAMPLES EXACTLY SHOULD BE REPLACED UNDER THIS CAMPAIGN."

My mistake on the previous post, I only posted the *.gif file so it was only the first page. It has now been changed.

·
Registered
344 Posts
An interesting TSB (NTB05-059) to be sure.
Definitely a third removal/install procedure and presumably the quickest given Nissan only pays the Dealer for 1.8hrs.

Also, as I think was noted in another thread, very difficult to do if the engine is hot. Note that they remove the Upper and Lower Exhaust Manifold/ Catalyst Heat Shields and also drain and "capture" enough coolant to drop the level below the upper tank. So anyone who thought they got a coolant change in the process may not have!

So I think I will offer to leave it there overnight so than can work on it first thing the next day.

FreeStylerX: Curious as to how you accessed that TSB? Your link took me straight there, but if I go to the website, the most recent bulletins are 05043 and 05062; no sign of 05059. If I try ...Nissanhelp.com/ownership I get 'web page not available'.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rjardine said:
An interesting TSB (NTB05-059) to be sure.
Definitely a third removal/install procedure and presumably the quickest given Nissan only pays the Dealer for 1.8hrs.

Also, as I think was noted in another thread, very difficult to do if the engine is hot. Note that they remove the Upper and Lower Exhaust Manifold/ Catalyst Heat Shields and also drain and "capture" enough coolant to drop the level below the upper tank. So anyone who thought they got a coolant change in the process may not have!

So I think I will offer to leave it there overnight so than can work on it first thing the next day.

FreeStylerX: Curious as to how you accessed that TSB? Your link took me straight there, but if I go to the website, the most recent bulletins are 05043 and 05062; no sign of 05059. If I try ...Nissanhelp.com/ownership I get 'web page not available'.
Here is how I got there.
1.) http://www.nissanhelp.com/
2.) Click on MURANO
3.) Click on RECALL
4.) Click on READ FULL RECALL NOTICE

that should get you to the link I posted.

-FX

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CopperKat: That's what the guy on the phone from Nissan Consumer said. It is too much of a trouble to do so, but it seems my options have exhausted. In the meantime, I am going to check out the forum more often to see whether other users who has the same alternator as me got theirs replaced.

-FX

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Jim C.

I got the paperwork from Nissan Service saying that they did the inspection and no replacement alternator needed. So, if anything happens (I pray that nothing happens) and they indeed made a mistake on my alternator recall I will have some prove.

As far as asking for the 2nd confirmation on whether or not my alternator requires a replacement. I will not get an answer from Nissan. I will probably get an answer from Murano owners here instead. So to all Murano owners with alternator (23100-9Y500RE), please post here if a replacement was needed.

And Jim C, I do know that the Hitachi LR1110-723ER is a redesigned one which doesn't need replacement. And so are 23100-CN100R, 2310M-CN10AR, LR1110-723SR. The link to this Recall Campaign procedure can be found here.

Note the words "ALTERNATOR WITH PART NUMBERS ON THE LABELS THAT DO NOT MATCH THE ABOVE EXAMPLES EXACTLY SHOULD BE REPLACED UNDER THIS CAMPAIGN."

My mistake on the previous post, I only posted the *.gif file so it was only the first page. It has now been changed.
FreeStylerX I am headed to my local dealership tomorrow for this and at least 3 other recalls on a recently purchased 2004 MO. This car was a repo and has 235,000 miles on it. I found multiple receipts from the previous owner and due to her lack of compliance with the recommended repairs to this car I very seriously doubt any of the recalls were performed. However, I did call my local dealer today and upon giving them the VIN they advised me there were no recalls on this car. I begged his pardon, being from the deep south it's what we do first, and insisted that he check again. He advised me of the same after his alleged second inquirey. So not being satisfied with his response I came home and did some research of my own. I did find that in fact my VIN does fall within the recall of the alternator, fuel tank, rear seat belts, and engine cooling system. I will update you with the events that unfold tomorrow including how many times I blessed his little heart after informing him my parents didn't raise no fool! I am sure being a woman on top of everything else he will try to give me the treatment I have experienced my whole life when it comes to mechanics so this should be interesting to say the least. Closing with this quote "never make a woman angry who knows the difference between standard and metric tools, and can run heavy equipment".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts