Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New alternator installed August, on 10/26 go to turn car on tic, tic, tic, no battery light, all electrical still working. Get car towed to nearest shop wait two days they say it was battery failure. Total bill 334.00 new battery, rental, + miss a whole day of work. I have a suspicion that new alternator failed, as when I brought it in service manager said "oh no,
nissans going to love this" Has anyone had an experience like this? I had absolutely no problem with battery beforew this, and from my experience the tic, tic sound with nothing else is starter.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Starter going tic, tic, tic is a classic case of low or bad battery.

How often did you add water to the battery?

How old was the battery? They do have a pro rated warranty. What is the year and miles of the MO?

$334 is what? battery and rental?
Sounds excessive.
EDIT: Never mind, I see towing and poss 2 day rental in there. Could be a fair price.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I agree with Homer. Sounds like it was a dead battery. An alternator failure would have illuminated the charge light on the dash long before you battery drained itself to death.

·
5,244 Posts
Happened to me 2 weeks ago. 2 y and 3 months old MO. 43k miles. Battery went dead. Cost to replace = $90. DIY.

Nissan battery is not really up to the standard I would expect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the battery in my '03 die on Saturday. Managed to get it jump started (took almost 20 minutes of waiting and a few attempts to get enough charge to get it turned over), and took it in to the local dealer.

Turns out one of the cells just went bad. I was at about 33k miles, so with the prorated warranty (75% my share) it cost me $58 for a new Interstate battery (OEM-spec).

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Lost my battery at 30200 miles. Cost $48 to replace at the dealership. 50% of cost was covered by nissan.

·
5,244 Posts
And I thought my battery was an exception! It confirms that the Nissan batteries are substandard. I am glad I installed Dura-Last Gold, 8-years warranty. It is definit improvement over Nissan one.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Kris - How many CCA's does the new battery have & what did it set you back? Being at 36k mile & 32 months old I was thinking on doing a early preventive change out.

Is it a maintenance free? Ha ha, I didn't even know they made these old school batteries until I got the MO.

·
5,244 Posts
KSMurano,

Got Duralast - Gold Battery. $75.99 + tax. CCA 640/800 - much better than OEM. 3 years full replacement/8 years prorated (what ever it is worth) warranty. It took me 10 min to replace it. Now even with all lights on there is no diming whatsoever when starting!

My only wish - I should have done it 3 months ago! It remainds me - I need to check the FX.....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Kris,

Id your DURALAST Gold still running good?

I think I'm going to pick one up tomorrow.

-Niner

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Kris said:
And I thought my battery was an exception! It confirms that the Nissan batteries are substandard. I am glad I installed Dura-Last Gold, 8-years warranty. It is definit improvement over Nissan one.
Oh I don't know, in my previous Nissan the battery lasted 8+ years and even then it didn't die, I was just getting nervous about it.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Don't forget Red Top batteries

And keep checking the water level the #1 killer of batteried. Donw here in Az 3 yrs is about the average life.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Three years at best. I just had to replace my 1.5 year old batt.
Prorated at Nissan for $40, got a 3 year free replacement batt.
from Costco for $40 and change.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Red Optima CCC 720+
First sign of battery weakness, I throw the Nissan one in the trash (had it for 2 1/2 yrs). Maybe still good for another year, but nah~

Yah, pump up the volume~

NZM

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Battery size for MO, Optima

I've had good luck with Optima but they did not show a model for a 2003 MO, 2WD on their web page. Which one did you get? Did you need a bracket?

thanks for your help.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: Battery size for MO, Optima

LKimura said:
I've had good luck with Optima but they did not show a model for a 2003 MO, 2WD on their web page. Which one did you get? Did you need a bracket?

thanks for your help.

You can check online, but s/h will get ya.
I advise you to check Walmart, Sears. They have for MO 03-06.
The battery sits right in the nissan's battery slot. You don't need a extra bracket, the Optima already comes with it.

If you still need the part number, let me know. I'm away from my car for now, I need to get it from my car.
Red, Yellow top. Recommended!

NZM

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: Battery size for MO, Optima

LKimura said:

thanks for your help.

Ok, your part number is over Audio & Electronic tread.

NZM

1 - 17 of 17 Posts