Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there I was driving around on Sat night when all of a sudden, my battery light and park brake light came on.:3: Thought it was a strange combination and awfully ironic that two things went south at the same time.:confused: :mad:

Took it straight to the dealer this morning and he says Nissan usually uses that "combination" as an indicator of a bad alternator. Seems their market research has told them that too many people just ignore only one warning light:eek: and that two lights make people take notice a little better. I don't know about others on this site, but I for one take notice anytime ANYTHING out of the ordinary happens!

Hmmm .... lucky me -- a "Friday" alternator. Will post the outcome later tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just spoke with the dealer. Repairs are done and yup, it was the alternator. Dealer says they've had a run on "Friday" alternators. I don't know if this is anything special to Canada-spec MO's or not, but now everyone knows.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Nissan has had a history of bad alternators on the VQ. I've read about alternators going south on the Maxima BBS (I think I may have started the thread there when mine went south) and also on the 350Z BBS. My alternator in my 97 Maxima went bad in 2000 and it was replaced under warranty. Two years later, Nissan issues a recall for Maxima alternators. Took mine in, they said yours was probably one of the first ones to set off the recall campaign! Anyways, I had a replacement one already so they sent me on my way. From what I remember, they were alternators made by Hitachi, and all replacement models were remanufactured Nissan models with replacement diodes. I could not tell what brand it was though, although it is still probably Hitachi.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the alternator problems, but I have noticed that the VQ series motors run awfully hot. Not by looking at the gauge, but in terms of heat coming from the engine compartment. This is the first Nissan I have owned, and with my Acura RSX Type S, it ran almost cool enough I could touch the intake manifold after a long drive without it burning my hand. (This motor was an 11:1 compression ratio as well.) I'll have to keep a look out for this alternator. Maybe I'll check it at work tomorrow to see what the output voltage is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts