Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. We just added another Nissan to our family this eveing by purchasing a 1997 Altima GLE Sedan 4D. The car only had 75000 miles. We paid $6500 USD for the car. Thought I would ask anyone else out there what their experience with Altima's have been. Any issues/concerns.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Hey there pattomasy2k, I bought the 2002 3.5 Altima. That was when the design changed to the new style. It was funny to look back but it was January about 9PM and we cruised into a parking lot. Off by itself, there sat a neat brand new car under a light pole. The wife said, "Oh, look at the brand new Lexus." I cruised over and stopped, "holy s..., this isn't a Lexus, it's an Altima!" Could not believe it but hooked on the spot. Poked around and looked at everything Toyota's and other stuff.

I first drove the 4 cyl and it was fast and felt really good. I then drove the v-6. Raw power, 245 horse on that frame produced a rocket. It was about 3 grand more than the 4 banger but there was no going back.

Yesterday my odometer clicked past 36000 miles. In that time, the only problem was some sensor needed replacement. I did not even know about it. I was at the dealer for routine oil change and the tech said there was a recall or TSB or something.
Yup, that was it. The only feature that has me disappointed is the audible relay on the shifter. When slowing to a stop, I hear a click. The dealer said it was that saftey switch that keeps you from shifting when your foot is not on the brake. I sat in brand new Alti's at the dealer to confirm, they all did it.

So, for 36000 miles. I give the Altima five stars. After all, we share the same 3.5 engine as the MO and as many of you know, the MO sits on the Altima chasis.

Bob1

·
Registered
73 Posts
what exactly does it mean by the MO "sitting on an Altima chassis"?

Obviously, there are some shared parts. But is the MO's suspension beefier at all than the Altimas?

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Lawbroker Glad to hear form you

Wow , Your are back, How are you liking Scottsdale?

The FX is based upon the G35 Sedan Chassis AND the Murano is based upon the ALtima chassis. Each shares the basic underpinnings so to speak..

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had a 1995 Altima (manny), bought new. Loved the car. The only issue I had with it was the electrical... probably more the starter or alternator. It was more of a weekend car. So over the long cold weeks, I would have trouble starting the car up at times. Almost like the battery died. Turned the key and nothing happens, no turn of the engine or anythingn. So I left the headlights on for a bit to get the juice flowing and then it would start after a couple of tries.

·
Registered
792 Posts
We had a '04 2.5 Altima for a rental. Really nice car, fun to drive - even with the small engine. Had decent rear leg room and a good sized trunk.

Obviously, I can't speak to the reliability of the car - but it was nice for the weekend.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have a 1993 Altima with 207,000 miles (333,000km) that has was purchased new by my parents in 1992. They just gave it to my wife to scoot around town in. It is rusting pretty badly now so when something major goes, the car will go. Otherwise it has been a good car and has only needed regular wear items up until now. I'm sure yours will last you many years.

Aaron

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey Gripper! Scottsdale is going well so far! I think I may have seen your MO in the parking lot near Fry's a week or so ago . . . if it wasn't yours it was definitely a nice one!!

thanks, lawbroker

·
Registered
1,482 Posts

The Murano was a concept to drop a SUV on the underpinnings of a passenger car. Hence, a crossover is born. Not quite an SUV and not really a car. We have a SUV that lives on an Altima chassis. That is the primary reason you have car like response instead of truck like as you find on most SUV types.

Bob1

Sorry Grip, I just said the same as you did above. I saw the question and leaped before I looked.:eek:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
lawbroker said:

Obviously, there are some shared parts. But is the MO's suspension beefier at all than the Altimas?

It means that the overall layout of the underpinnings (most of the frame, and the powertrain layout) are based on Nissan's FF platform (Front engine, Front drive) - its the same platform used for the Altima, Maxima, Quest, and Murano.

The Murano's suspension parts have been beefed up to handle the extra weight. But the overall architecture is similar to the Altima and Maxima. some parts are identical, like the brakes (same as Maxima) and engine (same as the 245hp Altima from a couple years ago).

·
5,100 Posts
Hey, sincerity is the ? Oh! well, that 's not the right phrase is it? :D

·
4,664 Posts
To a certain extent, I believe the statement from Nissan that the Murano is based on the Altima, is also to provide customers with a feeling of reliability, especially at product launch in 2002.

After all, it's easier to count the Nissan and Infiniti vehicles that don't use that engine. So other than the body, the brakes, the AWD, the transmission, the interior, the suspension changes, the wheels, it's exactly the same.

·
5,100 Posts
Boy! since my youngest son has a new Altima it's not very reassuring.

·
4,664 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it Don, I love the new Altima! Friend of mine as the 3.5 litre one and it's sweet! Has that Nissan/Infiniti feel, to it, and it's a little rocket.

Stick a supercharger on it, and it would be a nice sleeper. Although the torque steer might be a bit much....

·
5,100 Posts
His is not so great was the direction I was headed in. I don't sweat it, I don't have it. But he leased it for only 2 years so no biggie to him either. :D

·
4,664 Posts
That's a shame... My friend's absolutely in love with his and he's had it three years now, I think. He does have the loaded version.

It's a totally different vehicle than the previous gen Altima, which was an OK car, but nothing special. All I could think of when I was driving the rental in the Bay area was "I'm stuck in a coke can with a Bee!" From there I flew to CO and they tried to give me another one. I expressed my dislike of the vehicle and they gave me a loaded S70. Nice interior, leather, solid feel, and gutless in the mountains.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You'll love the alti, I had a 2000 until this fall when I traded it in for the MO. Do the regular maintance and it will last for a very long time. When I had my altima I would often check out altimas.net (i think it was) nice site, had a lot of good do-it-yourself maintance info. enjoy it!

·
5,100 Posts
Dr. Mark, (kid) felt the quality has lowered in the 2005 ? Who knows he is a perfectionist, Never any one of those around here , thank goodness. Grip :D

PS just returned from the hospital, Still awaiting to be a Grand father for the first time, Marks wait is tougher than ours, 8 hrs and ......... yet. :eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Grandpa Grip, that has a nice ring to it! :2:
Good luck to you and your boy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts