Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after a bunch of bloody knuckles (did anyone else have such a hard time running power through the firewall?) I finally have my wifes amp hooked up.

Its a 4 channel Kicker with high level inputs, so, since I have no RCAs, I though the best way would be to steal the inputs from the front speakers (since I was running wire to amp those anyhow).

And wow it sounds 10 times better... great bass from the 3 way infinity 6x9s and the vocals really sing.

However I am getting TERRIBLE engine (alternator) whine.

My ground is excellent. I made a point of it after I got the whine. I tooke a wire brush on a dremel, removed paint in the tire compartment and screwed in the ground (removing paint is not fun on a week old car). It didnt even get slightly better.

The power wire is run by itself on the other side of the car, i.e. the speaker input and output are all run on the passeneger side (even the drivers side i/o). And the power run on the drivers side, so its not EMI from the pow wire.

The next step for me is to get a low level converter, one with a common ground wire that I can input into the amp. I hope that works.

Anyone else hooked an amp to the non-Bose HU? I really dont want to pull the HU if I dont have to...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh well..

for any one else in my predicament. You will need an line out converter with grounds, and set your gains appropriatly.

The car sounds about 10 times better now. Wife is happy. I havent even put the sub in, and the bass response is excellent (though the very low notes do get rolled off).

I have a feeling the 6x9s amplified produce better bass than the Bose does. I have heard those in-tire subs (Acura RSX) and they are not that smooth or powerful (though they are better than stock systems without a sub).

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Good goin Z.
I used twisted pair for my line in to my sub amp hoping to kill any noise, and yep, there is none.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
It's really neato to actually see stuff like that working isn't it. GRIP :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts