Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Love to live w/ MO
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone of you guys tried AMSOIL in your cars ?
it is a bit expensive than Mobil-1 but i can see the difference clearly... the MPG has gone better too.

but just wondering if anyone else has tried it out in their MOs.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My MO is almost broken in and I'll be changing to Mobil 1. I have used Amsoil in the past but can't discern any noticeable benefit warranting the premium price.

I've read more oil threads and debates than I care to admit to but recall one controversy involving bike owners alleging Amsoil was chewing up their cam lobes. Nothing was proven conclusively and the possibility exists the cams were defective from the factory with improperly hardened cam surfaces. (my theory)

I have also noticed a slight improvement in MPG with synthetics but for me the most important benefit is its lubricating qualities particularly at extreme temps.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
If you JUST want MPG, you can probably help the cause by switching to 5W30 dino juice.

I do not believe that Syn is any "slicker" than Dino, but because of superior shear strength, most people use syn 5W.
Lighter oil means better MPG.

I'm not going to get into the Amsoil vs Mob1 battle.
Amsoil is sold thru a distribution system like Amway. If you want to be a distributor and get a price break, you can.

I use Mob1.

Redline is also a company that makes quality products. I have used Redline Syn in trannys and rear ends for years now.

Homer

·
Registered
175 Posts
I did a very unscientific experiment years ago that sold me on the merit of synthetic oil. I took some various dino and synthetic oils of the same viscosity (5w30 if I recall) put some samples in styrofoam coffee cups and put them in my freezer overnight.

The next morning the synthetic poured almost as quickly as room temperature oil. The others poured as quickly as molasses. That's all the proof I needed.

Like Homer, I don't care to debate oil brands.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts