Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or, Am I ever happy I have an '03, 'cause I'm sure I would have torn off the plastic '04 or '05 CVT cooling scoop!!!

A little offroading and obviously I didn't have the clearance I thought. But I made it!:headslap:

Attachments

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
JAAK! It's a MO car, not a MOO cow. Looks like it was grazing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
bah . . . . the new ones are plastic? That's somewhat unfortunate. Do you happen to know the clearance from the scoop to ground? Trying to guess what the actual clearance of the murano is.

Dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
I didn't measure mine, but remember hearing somewhere that it was about 8" from ground to bottom of the scoop. Not much.

crew219 said:
bah . . . . the new ones are plastic? That's somewhat unfortunate. Do you happen to know the clearance from the scoop to ground? Trying to guess what the actual clearance of the murano is.

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
After an incident with that particular piece of plastic and a parking bump, my ground clearance has increased by about 2 inches.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
jljonsn said:
After an incident with that particular piece of plastic and a parking bump, my ground clearance has increased by about 2 inches.
You may want to think about replacing it as soon as possible as that scoop is required (even if not necessary now that its cold). You do not want to take a chance if something goes wrong with CVT and they deny your warranty because of the missing piece.

·
5,268 Posts
jaak

your tire threat looks quite OK. How many ks/miles did you put on?

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Kris, funny you mention that, I was just looking at them myself, yesterday.

I've got about 38,000 Km and it'll be two years with the Murano the end of January. So roughly 20,000 Km a year. Having a home office makes a huge difference in the mileage I do. I noticed that immediately when I changed jobs and changed to the home office, 4.5 years ago. I used to do about 35,000 a year.

So what's 38K, roughly 24,000 miles?

While I dont' know that I need to replace them yet, I'm keeping an eye on them to ensure they're not going to be slippery in the snow, with the reduced tread depth. They're still fine in the rain and clear it well, even when it's heavy.

·
5,100 Posts
Went out and looked my 05 has plastic also, wonder if we could order a metal one for the 03 and it would bolt in place?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Ah Gripper as you would say... "the wonders of a search engine".

Before you replace it there was concern that the metal scoop might to more damage than a plastic scoop if something hit it hard. You might find another MO owner willing to trade a metal for a plastic though.

·
5,100 Posts
Gonzo,, Got ME!!!! I need to learn better manners.

Also that is good advice, I'll leave it alone, I never off road anyway. But those speed bumps are very unforgiving, It's another thing I like about the MO, my other Ride the SLK has minimal ground clearance.

·
5,268 Posts
jaak said:
Hey Kris, funny you mention that, I was just looking at them myself, yesterday.

I've got about 38,000 Km and it'll be two years with the Murano the end of January. So roughly 20,000 Km a year. Having a home office makes a huge difference in the mileage I do. I noticed that immediately when I changed jobs and changed to the home office, 4.5 years ago. I used to do about 35,000 a year.

So what's 38K, roughly 24,000 miles?

While I dont' know that I need to replace them yet, I'm keeping an eye on them to ensure they're not going to be slippery in the snow, with the reduced tread depth. They're still fine in the rain and clear it well, even when it's heavy.
I changed mine at 28k miles. I could have kept them till 30k miles (48k kms) easily. So you still have few more months to go....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Jaak, Wish I had one of those Metal Scoops... I was just walking to my car and saw that the scoop under the car was a bit messed up. As i got closer, I saw that it was cracked!!!AHHH. Oh well. I'll post a picture later...but it was pretty dissapointing. Now i'll have to find a replacement...

Anyone know how much a new CVT scoop costs? or a part number for it.

Thanks,
Cube2b

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just go off the phone with Nissan. $70.11 CDN for the Scoop. I asked about the 03 part and if the replacement of it was metal. Dude at parts didn't know. They did have different part numbers, but were the same cost. Just wondering if the parts are even inter-changable? Does anyone know?

Thanks,

·
5,100 Posts
Cube2b Can you post the part numbers I have looked but haven't had my coffee yet so I am striking out. Thanks!

·
5,100 Posts
:D

·
Registered
289 Posts
03 Air Guide 62684-ca000 $18.26
04 Air Guide 62653-ca100 $ 35.03
At Pinnacle Nissanparts.org

·
5,100 Posts
Thanks MOpar for the info on scoops, busy time of year, anytime is fine for lights.

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kris, I noticed in the snow, that they're not quite as good as the last two winters. Only natural, as the tread depth isn't there. I think I better start looking for their replacements.

This often happens to me. While the tires are fine for other seasons, two years on the tires and snow, make me consider and often, change them.

I'll have to see how I feel about them in the next month...

As far as the metal scoop goes, I've straightened mine twice. You really have to watch those parking curbs as the scoop sticks out more than the wheels.

I'd stick with the plastic one.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts