Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to no avail, to find GPS stuff compatible with my Tungsten, but it being an E instead of a T, there seemed none to be found.

So, I weighed the Magellan vs Garmin thing, and ordered the Garmin 2620.

It arrived yesterday and I popped it in the Mo last night while waiting for my XM to be activated... just me playin' with satellites all night I guess.

It's very cool and easy to read, I haven't plotted and followed a route with it yet but it tracked me very well on the way to work today.

Tomorrow, it takes us to South Carolina and Sunday to Florida!

One problem and a couple questions:
problem: exit numbers around the NoVA side of the beltway are not updated - they changed from 3,4,5,6 to 51,52,53,54 (for example) a couple years ago! (Can Garmin update this?)

question: anybody found an elegant way to hide or cleanly route the lighter adapter cable? I'm likely to just leave it plugged in, most days, since the socket turns off with the car.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I don't know where/how it is mounted, but my Roadmate 700 just above the LCD screen is permanantly wired to power behind the LCD.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Jammadave

Be careful in Florida if your route takes you onto Interstate 4. The Exit numbers changed on I4 Last year or the year before. They went from 39 (my exit) to 99. Exits on I4 now go by Mile Marker. Your software may not be up to date and you may be looking for a wrong exit number.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Sean!

Everybody else pay attention to this as well - Florida's I-4 and Northern Virginia's I-495 exits are numbered wrong in some GPS devices (mine's a Garmin, so any Magellan or iPaq users want to test?)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: Jammadave

pcs15394 said:
Be careful in Florida if your route takes you onto Interstate 4. The Exit numbers changed on I4 Last year or the year before. They went from 39 (my exit) to 99. Exits on I4 now go by Mile Marker. Your software may not be up to date and you may be looking for a wrong exit number.
I believe that's true for all the interstate highways in Florida. I know the exit numbers on I-75 in Florida have changed, too.

Jeff

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ekaxel,

I have the Roadmate as well.

Did you get the 3.44 update?

I really like the additions. The touch screen seems quicker when I press it, the POI options on screen on nice, as is the spit view.

I ALMOST sold it to get the above mentioned 2620, but not now!

Mark

·
Registered
65 Posts
rokyracoon said:
Where did you place the Garmin on your dashboard????
I placed mine (2610 which is the same as the 2620 only it uses CF instead of a hard disk) on the dash just behind the center LCD console using the bean bag mount.

·
Registered
43 Posts
MarkY,

How well does the bean bag mount work? Is there any unit jiggling while driving?

The Roadmate does not have such a beast. I use the windshield mount, which holds great. I tried the Magellan dash mount - a three arm heavy rubber mount - but I experienced too much vibration from the swivel mount portion of the mount, which resulted in a lot of jiggling of the main unit.

Ekaxel,

How is yours mounted?

Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
MarkY said:

I placed mine (2610 which is the same as the 2620 only it uses CF instead of a hard disk) on the dash just behind the center LCD console using the bean bag mount.
Did you attach an external antenna or was the built in antenna adequate? Thank you very much for your help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The bean bag mount works great. No jiggling or vibration at all. I used to use the bean bag mount on my F150 and it did slide a little. However, my F150 had a curved dash and was covered with a dashmat.

The Murano dash has no curves so the sliding problem is eliminated. The bean bag has four tabs that can be bent or shaped. The front tab on my bean bag mount is sort of wedged against the LCD panel.

I run the power/speaker cable down the passenger side. It comes down by the A/C vent and then I've tucked the cable on the side of the center console.

No complaints from me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
rokyracoon said:

Did you attach an external antenna or was the built in antenna adequate? Thank you very much for your help.
The built in antenna is all I use. I've found it to be sufficient.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts