Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this entry in another forum. It highlights the ineptitude of some dealerships attempts to correct problems, Another case of the "fix one, break two" repair principal.

I own a 2005 Murano SL AWD and I've been having issue with vibration on the steering wheel AND the accelerator pedal. The chronological summary of the issue is as follow:

1. At 17K, the steering wheel vibrates at HIGHWAY SPEED (over 60 mph) AND shake when BRAKING at highway speed. I took it to the dealer and they performed tire balance. The vibrating while driving at highway speed has subsided, but not the shaking when braking.

2. Brought it back to the dealer and they check rotor and found out it was warped. Fixed the rotor. Now the steering wheel shaking while braking at highway speed is gone. However, the steering wheel vibration seems to come back.

3. Brought the car back to the dealer, and they told me, for some reason (?), the tire balance was OFF again. Told me it was probably due to the work they did when fixing the rotor. Rebalance the tire. Vibration seems to be more pronounced now.

4. Brought it back to the dealer and they did tire rotation, tire balance, and wheel alignment. They told me they test drove the car and no vibration now. They also told me that a car this size with a big tire tend to vibrate MORE than a normal car since more of the road surface is touched by the wheels.

So now I've brought my car to the dealer 4 times and the steering wheel vibration is still more pronounced, with the addition of vibration on the accelerator pedal. To tell you the truth, I dont' eevn know anymore if this is "normal" as it was vibrating here and there before and after the 1st tire balance and rotor fix.

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I would take it to a good tire shop, pay them whatever it costs, and have this fixed correct the first time through. The Nissan dealer has had 4 tries, and in the end they made up a BS excuse about the large tires touching more of the road - I wouldn't go back to them again.

It it not normal to have vibrations through the steering wheel or brake pedal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I so far have had no problems with my new Murano, as far as wheel problems. However my last car had problems from the time I left the dealer. It was a 2004 Altima. After several times back to the dealer, the service manager told me to take it to a good wheel and tire shop and they would be able to fix the problem. Chrome wheels were part of the deal I had with them and the service manager said they were not equipped to fine balance the tires. He was right, the tire shop solved the problem. I learned if its a tire or wheel problem, take it to a good tire shop. I had chrome rims put on the Murano by the same shop and so far so good. :7:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Eric L. said:
I would take it to a good tire shop, pay them whatever it costs, and have this fixed correct the first time through.
Personally I would also take the bill and slap it down firmly on the Service Manager, or the General Manager's desk at the dealership.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I agree wiv ya K

If they told me to take it somewhere else, I would say, "ever hear of subbing out to another shop?" Jeeze!
If they can't fix it, then they get to pay someone else to--that is the way the rest of the world spins.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I've had issues with tire balance too. I've only had 1 in 4 of my balance jobs done properly. 2 were at a dealer, 2 were at a tire shop. The one good one was from the dealer. I found out that the tire shop is using crimp on weights, so I don't think I'll be getting the balance done there again, although they did an excellent alignment.

·
Registered
781 Posts
If you want a balance superior to the rest - have one done with a Hunter GSP 9000 balancer. It actually puts force on the wheel to offset any weight issues in the wheel or tire. It generally costs a bit more but it well worth it.

The other option is finding a shop with what is called an ACON adapter. Instead of the cone most shops use - this is just like lugs on the wheel. Leaves less chance of them screwing up (which I don't really understand how they can).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts