Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 18 Murano 2 weeks ago. I had 2 must haves in a new (used) vehicle... Leather wrapped steering wheel and Android Auto. AA worked fine on my test drive but after buying I kept having the same issues everyone else seems to have, freezing and disconnecting. There was 300 miles left on the bumper to bumper so I made an appointment at my local Nissan dealer which was not the dealer I bought the car from.

As I drove to the dealer my luck was the problem wasnt showing up. I told the guy at the counter it wasn't showing up and he responded by saying, "so we are just wasting our time". Lucky for me I had just bought a brand new Ram from this same dealer 2 months prior. My response to the guy was, "I guess I must have wasted my time buying a $50k truck from you 2 months ago". His tone immediately changed and was now eager to investigate the issue.

An hour later he came back and said his mechanic found an issue and was on the phone with a Nissan tech to find a solution. Another 30 minutes go by and he came back to say they found a communication issue and the head unit will have to be replaced... Under warranty. I have another appointment to have the head unit put in once it is shipped.

I'll get more details regarding the issue when they put it in and post back here. I'm hoping all owners with the issue can get the same resolution I'm getting. I'm willing to bet it's gonna take a dealer willing to go the extra mile for you to get Nissan to put a new head unit in as I'm sure they aren't going to be willingly putting in a $3k head unit in all 18 Muranos.

My Ram with Uconnect works flawlessly. This isn't a phone or USB cable issue. It's a Nissan issue and they should fix all owners issues.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I somehow doubt the new head unit will totally fix the issue. A lot of people here have been having problems with our head units since the 2015 model. They keep adding new features, but theres still some underlying issue with the hardware itself. Clarion sucks. Nissan's tech is way behind the curve when it comes to infotainment.

The stuff in Dodge/Rams is pretty much future tech compared to what we have.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't rule out the USB cable completely. I tested five different cables on my 2018 Murano SL before finding one that worked consistently.

Most of the failing cables would work, but AA would either "crash unexpectedly" or "disconnect". The cable I'm using now is from Cable Matters (Cable Matters USB-C Cable (USB A to USB C Cable / USB C to USB Cable) in Black 3.3 Feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S8GU2OC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_GUZVCbWH09K4E)

Even my stock Samsung cable didn't work well with the Murano despite having no issues with AA in other cars.

I still get an AA crash every six trips or so, but once once I disconnect and reconnect it, everything (music, navigation) resumes where it left off. I only wish that AA would automatically start when my Murano turns on if my phone is connected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was on cable #3 , buying cables others have said worked for them. Each is crap as the next.

Do any Nissans work well with AA? If the new head unit don't fix it I would like to try to replace the usb/aux port, especially with a known working port.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2018 SL and use AA ~80% of the time. I usually need to unplug and re-plug the phone 1-5 times before AA launches at the start of the drive. Once it does, it crashes about 5-10% of the time. I've tried 5-6 different cables and it didn't seem to make a difference. It seems like clearing the data and cache on AA reduced the number of re-plugs needed, but it's inconsistent and a pain to clear every time anyway.

I doubt replacing the head unit or USB ports will make a difference, but do let us know if it changes anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2018 SL and use AA ~80% of the time. I usually need to unplug and re-plug the phone 1-5 times before AA launches at the start of the drive. Once it does, it crashes about 5-10% of the time. I've tried 5-6 different cables and it didn't seem to make a difference. It seems like clearing the data and cache on AA reduced the number of re-plugs needed, but it's inconsistent and a pain to clear every time anyway.

I doubt replacing the head unit or USB ports will make a difference, but do let us know if it changes anything.
I also have a 2018 Murano and it works the majority of times. It freezes once in a while and I correct by unplugging and re-plugging.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unit is in I just have to schedule a time to have it installed.

Any Murano owners have no AA issues? Any other Nissan owners have no AA issues?

Man this is frustrating. Ford allows OTA updates to 2016s (and a new USB port) for a fully functional AA system but a 2018 Murano is in beta. Shame on me for assuming a feature in a vehicle I bought would function correctly?

I'll report back as soon as I have the head unit installed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
AA works fairly consistently on my 2018 Murano SL. My biggest issue is how sensitive the connectors are, both to the phone and to the port. I ended up using a cable with a slightly longer type-c connector that seems to be more secure. But the normal USB connector that plugs into the Murano's port is also very sensitive. If the cord moves at all near the end connected to the Murano, I lose connection and have to unplug and replug it back in.

Does anyone know how easy it is to access the USB internals? I'm assuming the front and rear USB ports connect to a board somewhere inside. I'm thinking about getting someone to wire USB connection internally that I could then connect use in conjunction with a phone mount. Probably place it on the flat area on the far left side of the dash, just above the wheel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New head unit was installed today and the AA issues are worse than before.

I'm now looking for an aftermarket unit but from looking at Crutchfield it doesn't look like there is a harness for the back up cam and steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
217 Posts
People on here have managed to hook up aftermarket units and still keep the cameras and controls, though.

Take a look at the other android auto thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If the problem is not resolved then you can install or download android auto apps the new version for free. First you have to download, remove the old version of your phone and then install this new version again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
erell
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing