·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have cafe latte int. On the lower B pillar section which is darker
I am getting quite visable ding marks from the seat belt metal
part when it retracts and hits. Looks nasty. I think I need to put
the clear vinyl protection sheeting on but don't know if it will hurt
the plastic. Anyone else getting this. Dark int. has to be better.

·
Registered
747 Posts
MOpar

I'm getting the dings from the seatbelt as well.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I wonder if the Dings are stress marks?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
THere was a thread on this a year or so ago.
The answer was to put some clear plastic tape on the pillars down where the belt latch hits.
AND train yourself to NOT just let the thing go (and smash into the pillar) but rather carry it back there with your hand.
That's the way I do it, and there are no marks there.

Of course when somebody new gets out on the passenger side, I wince. ;)

But the plastic helps a lot.

Homer

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got rid of my dings and shallow scratches on the B pillar.
Sounds crazy but I used an acetylene torch set very low
and very lightly heated the plastic. All gone for now. This only works on hard plastics. Awaiting 3M film to put on. Called 3M they said it
shouldn't affect plastic but may not stick.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
By the way, I'm not going to go into my usual defense of the Cafe Latte interior BUT here is a post from that link that dennis gave

"scratches at seatbelt pillar!
Photog, I've got the same exact freakin problem with my Murano. My previous car was a pathfinder and whenever I released the seatbelt I remember it flying out of my hands and whacking the pillar, but I never noticed any marks or scratches in my path. I do the same thing on my Murano and it has a ton of unsightly scratches or white marks. It took me a while to realize exactly what I was doing so I have since stopped releasing the seatbelt like a slingshot but sometimes my brain lapses and I still whack the pillar. Anybody have any clue as to how to get rid or at least try to cover up these unsightly marks?

Hmmnnn.
Obviously the problem has NOTHING to do with the Cafe Latte interior.

Homer

·
4,994 Posts
HOMER you should think of changing your handel to "MOka" and get support from Starbucks.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still like my Cafe Latte int. I just don't like the damage.
5 years in my Maxima no visable damage, same interior, different
plastic.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have noticed the same seatbelt dinges on the pillar. My past 2 SUV's were pathfinders and the seatbelts didn't hit the pillar, they hit the window. I had the front windows tinted and over the course of time I noticed many nicks and dinges to the tint. I think I need to stop watching police car chases on TV and not jump out of my car like they do.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have applied 3M paint protection film on the "b" pillar, alas, no more dings.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I have the charcoal interior and yes I also have the seat belt buckle dings. Have not found a solution for it other than to be careful with the seatbelt.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Me to

I have a 05 I see the same marks. Will hold the seat belt now

·
4,994 Posts
I thought the seat belt was supposed to hold you! :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
I noticed the problem also after a few weeks and have tried to removing the blemshes with armor all and other types of cleaning agents with no success. Other that using an acetylene torch has anyone else found a method to remove the "dings" before applying the 3M covering?

·
4,994 Posts
I understand they are "stress Marks" from the impact of the part causing micro fractures within the plastic. Who knows if that is correct. But if true it's possible that some careful application of a hair dryer might reduce or eliminate the visibility of the mark.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I, of the acetylene torch. Don't try a butane lighter or propane torch as they tend to leave carbon stains. The hair dryer or heat gun does not have a tight enough pattern.I have not tried them though.Be carefull!!!

I applied a 5" x 12" piece of 3M Paint Protection film dry, then heated it with a hair dryer to work the adhesive into the grain.On paint the film is applied wet with a soap-water mixture, but it doesn't work on the grain. The film is available in 4,6,12 X 84" strips,
I also found some unnamed film sold in 8" by the foot. Just call some auto paint supply stores to see what they have or will order.

·
4,994 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts