Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mo (kinda rhymes doesn't it) was purchased new but with 4000 miles on the odometer as it was used by the dealers wife. This is the first vehicle I have had with a cvt and not sure if I have a problem or not. When accelerating slowly from a stop it feels like the transmission is making a lot of mini-shifts. Cannot see any fluctuation in the rpms, mostly just feeling it. It is not bad enough for passengers to notice but I do as I drive it a lot. Perfectly smooth once on the road at a constant speed but was wondering if anyone else is feeling anything like this. Input please.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Old Fart said:
My Mo (kinda rhymes doesn't it) was purchased new but with 4000 miles on the odometer as it was used by the dealers wife. This is the first vehicle I have had with a cvt and not sure if I have a problem or not. When accelerating slowly from a stop it feels like the transmission is making a lot of mini-shifts. Cannot see any fluctuation in the rpms, mostly just feeling it. It is not bad enough for passengers to notice but I do as I drive it a lot. Perfectly smooth once on the road at a constant speed but was wondering if anyone else is feeling anything like this. Input please.
What you are experiencing is exactly what trhe CVT is supposed to do - constantly adjust the ratio as you accelerate to avoid the feeling of shift shock. If you are in doubt this is normal, you can ask your dealer to let you drive a new Murano from the lot to see if it does the same thing. If it doesn't, you'll already be at the dealership for them to have a look at it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have tried for over 2 years but failed to feel steps or gearing ratios in my MO but cannot hear or sense them. How about others?

·
5,244 Posts
MOjoe said:
I have tried for over 2 years but failed to feel steps or gearing ratios in my MO but cannot hear or sense them. How about others?
same here.....:D

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Picking up slack

Mine accelerates smoothly. The one thing I have noticed in my '03 SE is that there is a slight thunk. It's almost as if some slack was being picked up right at take off. I mentioned it to the dealer when the car was new but as expected they didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Otherwise, everything is operating well. Anyone have the same thunk?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I don't have any cluncks but I did get a "lurch" if the car has any slight forward mothing when putting it into reverse. I always thought it was normal just ensure the MO is stopped prior to switching into reverse.

However even from a complete stop I feel something in the CVT when I place it in reverse? Anyone else?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Engine braking effect...

I do notice, frequently, that when I pull my foot from the accelerator, I experience what amounts to a "jake brake" effect, that is, engine breaking. Its as if the CVT naturally uses the engine speed to slow the vehicle...which, I've read before, on this forum, is "designed" for the CVT. I don't mind it really, after all, if I want to go...I keep my foot on the accelerator.

Regards,

Big

·
Registered
238 Posts

Still silky smooth on acceleration,

only on deceleration, at about 16+/- mph you feel a sudden 'release' from engine braking affect, is I think normal as clutch releases the CVT.

·
5,244 Posts
CVeeT said:

only on deceleration, at about 16+/- mph you feel a sudden 'release' from engine braking affect, is I think normal as clutch releases the CVT.
This is the TQ (Torque Converter engaging/disengaging). It is perfectly normal.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Gonzo said:
I don't have any cluncks but I did get a "lurch" if the car has any slight forward mothing when putting it into reverse. I always thought it was normal just ensure the MO is stopped prior to switching into reverse.

However even from a complete stop I feel something in the CVT when I place it in reverse? Anyone else?
Try this:

At a stop, shift back and forth between Neutral and Drive. Do this slowly, without taking your foot off the brake. You'll feel a little jolt each time as the transmission engages and releases.

Now you can do the same thing between Neutral and Reverse. I find it's a slightly bigger jolt doing this.

Now jump quickly between Drive and Reverse (essentially bypassing Neutral) and you get a significant jolt, basically the two combined.

I've noticed this in every Automatic that I've driven, and I don't think the MO is any worse of a jolt. It's certainly better than my dad's old Chevy Blazer or his Dodge Durango. Both of those vehicles had a pretty significant lurch doing this.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
CVeeT said:

CVT's torque converter locks up at 19 mph. The jerk you feel comes from it unlocking. Completely normal....:)

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Corin said:

Try this:

At a stop, shift back and forth between Neutral and Drive. Do this slowly, without taking your foot off the brake. You'll feel a little jolt each time as the transmission engages and releases.

Now you can do the same thing between Neutral and Reverse. I find it's a slightly bigger jolt doing this.

Now jump quickly between Drive and Reverse (essentially bypassing Neutral) and you get a significant jolt, basically the two combined.

I've noticed this in every Automatic that I've driven, and I don't think the MO is any worse of a jolt. It's certainly better than my dad's old Chevy Blazer or his Dodge Durango. Both of those vehicles had a pretty significant lurch doing this.
Yes I agree... same thing on mine. I figured it was normal.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Re: Picking up slack

Mine accelerates smoothly. The one thing I have noticed in my '03 SE is that there is a slight thunk. It's almost as if some slack was being picked up right at take off. I mentioned it to the dealer when the car was new but as expected they didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Otherwise, everything is operating well. Anyone have the same thunk?
This is probably the torque converter locking up. If you accelerate really slowly, you should feel it about 15-20mph. If you are trying to coast at this speed (say in heavy traffic), and you are letting off then pressing on the gas very lightly, it will jerk each time the torque converter locks up and then unlocks. This is normal.

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Slack

Tyler...

This is happening right out of the gate when I accelerate from a dead stop to get up and going. I will try to see if I can do the other "test" to see if I can detect the torque converter.

But my problem is like slack in a belt (no not the CVT) is being taken up and then everything gets up and going. I guess a little lurch is another way to look at it but it's not a big jerk.

After the MO got broken in I felt that it accelerated more freely and the CVT was more responsive.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Re: Slack

LKimura said:
After the MO got broken in I felt that it accelerated more freely and the CVT was more responsive.
I've definitely noticed this. After a couple thousand miles, my MO has "learned" that I like to accellerate pretty quickly off the line.

The first couple thousand miles it was a little sluggish off the line unless I bumped it over to Ds. Now, no problem. I can make it throw me back in the seat off the line if I want to, and I like it this way! :2:

Am I correct in assuming that it will learn your driving style, or is this something that just needed to be broken in a bit?

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Re: Slack

LKimura said:
Tyler...

This is happening right out of the gate when I accelerate from a dead stop to get up and going. I will try to see if I can do the other "test" to see if I can detect the torque converter.

But my problem is like slack in a belt (no not the CVT) is being taken up and then everything gets up and going. I guess a little lurch is another way to look at it but it's not a big jerk.

Is the engine warmed up to normal temperature when this happens? The torque converter won't lock up until the transmission is at operating temperature, and acts a little weirdly sometimes until then. Since there isn't a temp gauge for the transmission, the engine one will be close enough.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No mo problem, fixed a wierd way

Funny how things work. No more strange feelings with the car. The mo was pulling slightly to the right and the steering wheel vibrating so I brought it in to have it looked at. Dealer sent me to a local shop for the alignment and they did a good job on the alignment. They said the vibrating steering wheel was a balance problem so they balanced all four tires. I had the vibration problem for a while and the local Goodyear dealer rebalanced the front tires three times trying to stop the shaking. Seems the Goodyear dealer was using clamp on weights instead of the stick on ones. Anyway the vehicle tracks perfectly, no shaking in the steering wheel and what I thought was a transmission problem is gone. I'm happy now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts