Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

Been lurking for a while, and figured when I had something to contribute, I'd give everyone a heads up. I've been reading along with great interest about the tire "dilemma". (that's what brought me here in the first place---thanks Google!) And hopefully I may have found a workable solution.:)

It should be said first that I'm a little biased in the fact that I hate Goodyear tires. I've been stuck with them on every new vehicle I've owned, and I've seen a few varieties. The LS is absolutely the worst of them all.:eek: It has been my mission these last 3 months to find an alternative, and so far I think I have.

Last week, I purchased (4) 255/60/18 Kumho Solus KH15 all season tires.
http://www.kumhotire.com

At first glance, the profile is very similiar to the GY's---the shoulders are very square. (the Kumho's pic makes them look more round :confused: ) The look is very muscular, and the tread grooves in the pic are about 1/2 wide!

First impressions are excellent---quiter than the GY's (even when the GY's were new). Driving on dry pavement is excellent, very sticky, as where the GY's would always break loose from a dead stop even when new. Sidewall stiffness is very good---wheras the whole geometry of the vehicle is stouter and sure footed when cornering.
I had it out this morning in about 3" of snow with semi cleaned roads and a little black ice here and there and it handled well---much more confident than the GY's even when they were new.

They have a treadwear rating of 400 with a 60k warranty---only time will tell on that. Now, here's the best part: I paid $86 per tire locally.:D
If you Google these, make sure you look up the Solus KH15's---the KH16 is a different tread pattern. They're tough to find,and no one seems to list the 18's for some reason, so check with your local Kumho dealer for size.

And by the way----after 38,000 miles, I still love my Mo!:2:

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's a great price. I was excited at first because I am also looking for tires to replace the horrible Goodyears. We had our first dusting of smow in Oklahoma last week and I could not get up the smallest of hills without spinning. I probably should have bought an AWD, but even so, FWD should do better than it did.

Anyway, I thought the Humho would be a good alternative, but when I called a local dealer that carries this brand, I was quoted a price of $243 EACH!!! WOW, that's a big difference!!

Anybody else experience the horrible traction in theor FWD MO? I love the look and handling of the MO, but am very disappointed at this point in its ability on inclimate road conditions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By the way, I forgot to mention that our Mo is an FWD SL. How these tires act on an AWD could be different.

I had it out last night on some major neglected country roads and she handled very well. Lots of those slushy "tire ruts" and some packed down, hardened snow. Response was very good at 50 mph. The difference being you could still feel road contact through the steering wheel on the hardened snow, whereas the GY's had no "feel" at all. You couldn't tell whether the Mo was getting squirelly on you or not.
Since the tire is about an inch wider, I'm still getting used to the handling. (more responsive obviously) But so far, so good.

For me, the real test will be rain. Those GY's were scary in wet weather.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts