Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a 2004 Murano SL 128k miles. It's biggest issue I have with it is that oil is leaking. It is dripping down onto the exhaust pipes that run under the engine. This then causes a stinky burning smell. At first glance, my initial thought is RMS when looking under there is oil where the transmission and engine meet.
I just lifted it up and got under for a better look. I found some fresh oil up above the rear engine mount on what looks like the heat shield of the motor mount. There is definitely a leak up above as the leak source, if not in addition to the RMS.

It's impossible to see up above because of the placement of the engine. Does anyone have any ideas on the leak source that would leak onto the rear engine mount?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rocker cover gasket. Power steering hose/line.
Yeah the valve cover gasket is my idea also, I don't think its PS, the oil I can see is definitely clean oil, I changed the oil recently.
Would the valve cover gasket leak be dripping down to the exhaust or would that be the rear main seal that is the culprit?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
It's much more likely it's the valve covers leaking, it's common. I don't recall hearing of any reports of a rear main seal leaking in this forum...

If it is the rear main seal, try a product like ATP AT-205 reseal, it has a good reputation and is a cheap trick to try. It rejuvenates the rubber O-ring when added to your motor oil. It doesn't work for gasket leaks, only rubber O-rings.

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD
393 Posts
My bank 1 (against the firewall) valve cover was leaking on both corners closest to the firewall and the oil would drip onto the exhaust system. It's a fairly simple fix to install a new gasket. The only issue would be if the spark plug wells/tubes have bad O-rings, in which case it's easier just to get a new valve cover, since they come with those seals/O-rings in place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just finished replacing the rear valve cover. I am certain it was leaking before. The good news is the valve cover gasket isn't leaking now. The bad news is that I am sure that the RMS is leaking.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Check the camshaft position sensors on the ends of the heads, they tend to leak a lot as well.

Mine has 296K, just did valve cover gaskets, spark plug tube seals (1 was pouring out and 3 were full of oil), and cam sensor o-rings about 4 months ago. Top end is nice and dry but my RMS is leaking quite badly. These engines really love losing oil as they get older!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rms is definitely leaking. It isn't as annoying as the valve cover leak. The valve cover leak would instantly drip onto the manifold and smoke, which has gone away now since I replaced the VC.
But since I cleaned up the transmission housing at the engine, oil has come back there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts