Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Mo' LE, CVT Auto, FWD
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Mo driver that have a catalytic convert anti-theft? I haven't looked under the Mo to see how it looked but wondering what's out there to add-on and what's to replace before adding on.

I have a 2010 LE Mo if years are any different by the way they are made. I live in an area that isn't lit among with other people at the apartment lot and it is very small and we hardly pay attention to what's outside. There is 1 outdoor light that come on but it isn't bright enough for the whole parking lot. I also have a dash cam but I don't think it come on from the shakes due to no direct power consumption that can be automatically turned on using one of my usb plugin outlet.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
The 2 CAT located right after each exhaust manifold is not easy to cut away. They like the old Honda with one CAT hanging right at the bottom midway of the exhaust system. Cut each end and off you go. Couple of seconds really.

·
Registered
244 Posts
SUVs are higher off the ground in general so we are vulnerable. I hope there will be some kind of cover guard in the near future.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
As nitely basically said, there's no way a thief would be able to easily steal the two cats attached to the exhaust manifolds and these are the most important because the O2 sensors work off of them. The 3rd cat downstream from the other two is more easily accessible, but the thief would have to remove (or cut) the heat shield. Frankly, if someone stole that off my car I wouldn't bother replacing it--just install a new pipe to close the gap.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Catalytic converter thief are looking for specific vehicles with perhaps more precious metals that known to be in certain cars cats and also like others have said, ease of cutting out. Im not sure if muranos fall into their categories of worth it to steal. For example a Honda element cats are high on their list for whatever reason. The thief will usually drive around an entire parking lot and nab the car you would least suspect they would in most cases. Maybe find out if you car is of high demand for its cats first before installing the anti-theft devices. I think the middle men are to blame the most. Its pretty obvious a cat has been stolen when there's a bunch that appear to be cut like this. They don't care a buy them anyways from the thief.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts