Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently a friend of mine's Maxima got stolen right from underneath his nose. He woke up one morning, doubting his sanity, when he discovers his carport completely empty. According to the police officer who took his statement that since the maxima was in a covered carport, and blocked on both sides, and with no skid or tire marks visible that the car must have been driven away and not towed. At this point my friend produced all 3 of his keys which had the cop scratching his head. Does anybody know of any other incidents where thieves drove off in a car without the "official" key?? Is there some sort of master key with a master chip in it??? WTF?

We are speculating they could have used a jack and popped each tire onto a dolly and possibly to rolled the car out and onto a flatbed. These guys must be really organized. (And I thought that scene in the remake of "Gone in 60 seconds" with Nick Cage where they obtain the special keys from the dealer to steal those Mercedez Benzs was just that, a fictional scene in a movie!) I feel terrible for my friend because his max was a 2001 model before the redesign and was the a super limited edition so it's probably impossible to find the same car. I'm getting a little worried because I don't live that far from him. In fact I used to live in his complex which btw has a few higher profile cars like beamers, a boxster, 2 vettes and a 911 and yet his maxima gets pilfered first!!

I'm starting to think that maybe investing in a good after market 2way security system w/ remote start would be a worthwhile idea. I was reluctant to do so at first because you would need to embed a key or the key-chip in the steering column to bypass the ignition-kill with a remote start, but if thieves can still start the car somehow with or without your key anyway then I'd rather have the added security system. Any members out there with aftermarket security systems? Did you lose any functionality on the car? i.e. programmed seats, window controls etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup

That's exactly what we thought might have been used to roll the car out the carport. You wouldn't even need access inside the car... *sigh* I guess you could use tilt and shock sensors and a 2 way pager alarm system. Even better a gps tracking device.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Yeah its most likely they found a way to move the car without turning it on. However, I'm sure there is a way to overcome the computer coded key since someone at one point or another has lost their keys. Remember also that the Nissan dealer has a record of all coded keys so they can make duplicates - perhaps someone had the codes and made a duplicate key!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well I heard that jiggler keys are becoming a fad. They can open most cars, not sure how they can bypass the chip, and you can legally buy them online, at least for now. Some how someone managed to get in my car with setting the stock alarm too. I have now invested in a better car alarm and also have Lo-jack installed

·
4,601 Posts
Mine's in the garage, below my bedroom with a very noisy old heavy squeaky door. My wife complains about the squeaks. I refuse to fix them.... :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
In reading what happened, it was probably a jack of some sort like the poster above wrote.

I've heard of cars being jacked with a special forklift and then loaded onto a flatbed. This doesn't sound like what happened to your friend though.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It's funny because my car is at the stereo/alarm shop right now having alarm installed. I too didnt like the thought of losing the functionality of the security chip by mounting my valet key in the steering column but I figured the added security would outweigh that. I am having the Clifford RSX 3.5 installed with two way paging remote, remote start and remote up/down on all 4 windows. Im having two flashing blue LED lights installed on the doors along with a blue LED light bar on the dash that flashes in different sequences so it looks like the lights are moving. I am also having the clifford GPS tracking system installed too that allows police to track your car if it is stolen. In addition with the GPS you can can control all functions of your remote such as start/lock/unlock by internet or phone. I think this is a great feature because if I ever lock keys in car all I have to do is use my cell phone to unlock the car. Also I can go online and set my alarm to call my cell phone if anyone breaks into it. This is a great feature in case I am too far from my car for it to be able to notify me by the remote. another cool feature of the GPS system for those of you with kids is the speed limit notification. Basically you set it for a certain speed and if the mo goes over that speed the system notifies you by e-mail of the time and location of the violation. It also lets you go online and see where your car is anytime you want (make sure that the kids are where they are supposed to be). Well that's all I can think of now, once I get it and play around with it I will let you all know how it works.

Oh yeah you do lose the memory seat function kind of. It simply will always default to the settings for memory #1, which is ok for me since I am the only one that really drives my Mo

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Jaycen29, two questions for you:

first:
how much was the setup (cliford 2 way alarm and the gps system). Please include labor.

second:
I heard that if such security systems are instaled, the insurance company will lower the premium. Did you try it?

Thanks.. :)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
One way to do it.

http://www.keepshooting.com/lockpicks/

It could cost you $20, but you could steal as many cars as you wanted.

"At this point my friend produced all 3 of his keys which had the cop scratching his head. "

BTW, your friend needs to get a new cop. Jiggler keys are very well known.

Homer

·
Registered
541 Posts
Ok it was a little pricey but I am going all out on my Murano. It would have been even more but the Clifford Rep was there to oversee see everything because I think they dont install alot of the GPS units and he authorized some discounts. Like the Remote window option the owner said would be $250 with install for just 2 windows, but the Clifford Rep had him do it for all 4 windows for $200. The LEDs for the doors were pretty expensive because they said it is time consuming to install them, but I really liked the look so I sprung for em. Ok so here is the breakdown.

Clifford RSX 3.5 Alarm = $599 installed
Factory Alarm Bypass Unit = $60
Remote Window Option - $200 for all 4 windows
Blue Door LEDs = $40 for 2 + $90 for installation
Blue Dash LED Bar = $22 from Circuit City - installation by my alarm shop for FREE
Extra Two Way Pager Remote = $75 (or $50 for a regular remote - not the two way pager)
Clifford GPS Tracking System = $699 installed

I am also debating whether to call them in the morning and have them add the proximity sensor option for the alarm. They said they would add it for $120 installed. What do you guys think? Should I add it?

Oh yeah there is a yearly fee for the GPS Tracking System but if you figure it monthly it's not too bad considering all the features you get. The cost is dependent on what plan you sign up for, higher the plan the more "uses" you get. A "use" is anytime you use your cell phone or internet to access a feature like start/lock/unlock, anytime you use the internet to locate your car or anytime your system notifies you by cell phone/e-mail of an "incident" (note the system will only notify you if you turn this function on via internet, so you wont be getting notifications all the time if you are worried about that plus even when the function is on it will only notify you if someone actually opens your doors, so you wont be wasting "uses" on false alarms). Here are the service plans if I remember what the Clifford Rep told me correctly, but dont quote me on them.

Vehicle Recovery only = First year FREE - $50 a year after

Vehicle Recovery + 30 Uses = $80 a year

Vehicle Recovery + 150 Uses = $120 a year

A couple of other things I forgot to mention The GPS system is nationwide so you or police could locate your car anywhere. Also if car is stolen you can use the system to shut down your car if they are driving it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just a little info about the chip keys -
if you lose one, or want an extra made, the dealer needs ALL of your keys, because they reset the ignition side of the system

while nissan does keeps records of the physical shape of the key, they do not keep the code for the chip

"At this point my friend produced all 3 of his keys which had the cop scratching his head. "
I think he meant that he still had all the keys, so in order for someone to drive it away, they would have had to have cracked the chip...not just broken into the car.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Wow JayChen69, that is one expensive setup..

Clifford RSX 3.5 = $599 installed
Factory Alarm Bypass Unit = $60
Remote Window Option - $200 for all 4 windows
Blue Door LEDs = $40 for 2 + $90 for installation
Blue Dash LED Bar = $22 from Circuit City - installation by my alarm shop for FREE
Extra Two Way Pager Remote = $75 (or $50 for a regular remote - not the two way pager)
Clifford GPS Tracking System = $699 installed
Total around: $1875 ?
You must be in love with the MO so much to spend that amount of money for alarm system:29:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yeah I do love my new MO only had it about 3.5 weeks now. I just want to protect my investment. Plus I admit these toys are kinda cool :10:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sugar when you get around to adding the LED to mirrors let me know how it turns out and post some pics. I wanted to do that also. I actually want to change to the mirrors that have turn signal built in to front, but havent been able to find any that fit so I think this would have to be custom done.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Not to deaden the wow factor of your security system, but fancy systems like that tend to ATTRACT thieves with all the flashing lights and alarm noises. It may deter the small thieves, but the pros will always find a way to make off with your car no matter how you secure it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yeah that may be true but if a real pro wants your car they are going to get it. At least this way all the others know that there is some level of protection on the car.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Jaycen I have the same system currently installed on my MO, see here.

I love it, everything works great. I didn't spend nearly as much as you are, and it's doing its job quite well. I was thinking of adding more LEDs to mine, but I like the look of one center orange one. Good luck with it, you should love it.

·
4,601 Posts
Hmmm... Sounds like some good choices. I guess I should upgrade from my existing security system:

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hfelknor:

As gstyve01 mentioned I was referring to the fact that the cop came to the conclusion that the car was "driven" away and that the thieves must have been able to obtain one of my friend's keys to do that. So my friend produced all 3 of his keys which stumped the cop. Because prior to this revalation, the officer asked my friend if any breakins or strangers had been in the apartment recently, and my friend mentioned that he had people come in to install a new dishwasher and fridge. Hence the cop probably assumed his valet key got pilfered.

jaycen29:

I have been doing research on GPS systems and you might want to consider Lo-Jack instead because they have no subscription fees. You get charged a one time fee and for as long as they are in business your Lo-jack will work. They quoted me a price of $695 + tax for parts and installation (this is in Dutchess county N.Y.). They even come to your house to do it. They also have an early warning system which calls your cell phone if your car starts moving without you for an extra $300. I also found out that with any ACTIVE GPS recovery system installed in your car most insurance companies will give you a discount on your premium! (depends really on company and state you're in) I called Geico to confirm this and they would give me an extra 15% discount if I get one installed. So in a few years your GPS recovery system is practically paid for!

I actually was also considering to have the same (oh so sweet) Clifford RSX 3.5 alarm system with auto start installed but I think only the Lo-Jack system would be what I could afford at this time. I used to have a clifford system in my old pathfinder with remote start and I really really miss the remote start specially during winter! Maybe I'll put it on my x-mas list so the wifey can get it for me :). Oh one little feature I was going to suggest you add (since you're pretty much getting everything but the kitchen sink anyway) is a backup siren with a backup battery hidden under the dash somewhere. So if that bastard of a thief decides to get sneaky and cut off your car battery before disabling the main siren, he'll be in for a big surprise when the backup doesn't cut off! And even if he does try to drive away with the backup siren going, it'll get him deaf and a really bad headache for sure!! An extra hood lock might be a good idea too! Anything to stop those bastards from driving away in your baby!

I've been so paranoid lately because of what happened to my friend, I get real anxious everytime I get up in the morning and thank my lucky starts everytime I see my baby still where I left her the night before! DAMN THIEVES!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts