Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just because I’m female doesn’t mean I’m stupid. I was only making a comment that didn’t require a critical response/tutorial.
If you're posting on a forum it is given that people can comment and add their own experiences and advices.

Btw no on commented on the fact that you're a female. You voluntarily said that yourself with no one asking what sex you were.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just because I’m female doesn’t mean I’m stupid. I was only making a comment that didn’t require a critical response/tutorial.
I'm sure Pilgrim wasn't being judgmental. He is a great source of accurate information that he generously shares.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just an update,

Made the purchase today. Bought the SL model as originally stated. Pretty straight forward transaction. Did the cash thing. Salesman mentioned
financing thru Nissan. After running the numbers we would have lost some of the Nissan cash back money, said the smart deal was cash. Overall a good experience. Vehicle will be delivered next week. Thanks for all the great advice.

metalrain

·
Registered
725 Posts
Just an update,

Made the purchase today. Bought the SL model as originally stated. Pretty straight forward transaction. Did the cash thing. Salesman mentioned
financing thru Nissan. After running the numbers we would have lost some of the Nissan cash back money, said the smart deal was cash. Overall a good experience. Vehicle will be delivered next week. Thanks for all the great advice.

metalrain
Congrats! What color did you get?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Got the peril white with cashmere interior. Just waiting for delivery. One add on... the remote start via cell phone. Installing that today,
delivery set for Tuesday.

metalrain

·
Registered
37 Posts
Smart move. Understand that an "extended warranty" is really just an insurance policy, and has nothing to do with Nissan. Since it's insurance, the seller is betting that the repair costs covered will not exceed the premium you pay. You are, in fact, betting that repair costs WILL exceed the cost of the premium.

If the seller is making that bet, you should reflect on the fact that their actuarial tables indicate they will make a profit on that sale. In other words, they have evidence that they are not going to spend as much on repair under that "warranty" as you pay them in the premium cost.

Do you have evidence that they're wrong? I doubt it.

On a new car, I don't see a reason to buy one. Maybe I would on a Jaguar, Land Rover or Alfa, since they tend to be high maintenance and high cost. But Nissan?? Nope.

I have bought an "extended warranty" on used cars, but only when I had specific knowledge of a common fault in the used car that was likely to cost me $$. For example, I bought an Audi 500 Turbo in 1989, and the shop foreman checked it out and told me he thought there might be a leak in the steering rack, which was a $1000 part (plus labor). The policy was $1500, IIRC. I bought the warranty, and three weeks later had them install a steering rack, which came to about $1700.

But on a new car, you have a manufacturer's warranty, and as long as you are diligent about having any problems dealt with and recorded in your service records, you should be fine. After that warranty expires, find a good independent shop that knows Nissans, and have your work done there - it will be less expensive then the dealership.

I agree that an extended warranty is indeed insurance. It's insurance that you won't have to pay for unexpected repairs after the manufacturers warranty expires. It's a personal decision like anything else. Personally I always get one on a used vehicle because I've had them pay for themselves many times over with the exception of my current one. To address your story about buying it on the used car after having it checked in the shop. That's a no no and the warranty actually shouldn't have paid for that repair because it was a pre-existing problem that should have been repaired as part of the vehicles reconditioning. All VSC contracts will specifically state they won't cover issues considered used car reconditioning. Some have a waiting period to help ensure that it doesn't happen. That you got away with it I guess was good for you, but not how it's intended to work.

Also, anyone reading the forum on the Murano can see it has some issues, they don't effect everyone but they are out there and should nudge a buyer who doesn't want any surprise repair bills towards a VSC. IMO

·
Registered
16 Posts
What most don't realize is the Murano is the second cheapest model to lease from Nissan. Sentra being the cheapest. I always lease because rates tend to be close to zero and the incentives are great. I never negotiate price in dealer either because it's often a waste of time. It took me 6 hours of calling and emailing between 8 dealers before I finally found one. When I finally made it to the dealer my paperwork was ready so all I had to do was sign (30 minutes total start to finish in person). My deal was 29900 (about 1k under invoice), 900 rolled in from my previous 16 Altima lease and then 4950 in incentives taken off the 31800. So essentially 26850 after discounts, incentives and lease rollover. Which gave me a payment of 270 with 600 down for a vehicle that had an msrp of 34600. My Altima SR had an msrp of 27700 and my payment was 240 with 240 down. Car buying...well leasing cars can be a great deal. Certainly beats buying if you trade cars that are only 3-4 years old.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
14 Participants
green_plaid
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing